West Ham v Crystal Palace (and probably VAR) (a) - Boxing Day 2019, 3pm

Comments

• Better than him supporting Palace though eh :thumbsup:
  • Ham

each to their own. When I moved in with his mum, in Fulham, my stepson asked me if I'd take him to Chelsea. I said he could come to West Ham with me, or I'd take him to Fulham. He got the same answer when he asked me to take him to Arsenal. He was 8 at the time. His first game was a dull 0-0. His reaction? That was brilliant, can we come next week? He's 32 now, and still a Hammer.
  • I started going regularly to the Boleyn in the 75/76 season. Regardless of how badly we play, I've seen worse, and consistently.
  • Yeah I get that. I started supporting West Ham when they were in the old Div 2 and that was only because my brother had a poster of a player on his door. I had no idea who they were or what division they played etc. I think these days when they are surrounded by FIFA and match attax cards it's hard for them not to sway.
  • I started going regularly to the Boleyn in the 75/76 season. Regardless of how badly we play, I've seen worse, and consistently.

I think my point which is my own personal opinion is the stadium. May not be a big deal to other people but to me it is. I feel like we are West Ham London rather than United.
  • IronHerb said:

no but there is currently nothing to suggest moving stadiums has benefited the club.

Well, some 25000 additional fans can get to see their team.
    Unsure how many of these are actually currently enjoying watching us play at the London Stadium.
  • is Diop being left out of the side in preparation for his sale?

Seen a lot of talk about this but what's it been, 4 games maybe? The CB pairing has been quite solid since then so it would've been harsh to break it up. The defence broke down for 20 mins against Arsenal but other than that have been quite solid. Today it was an outstanding bit of skill that undid them for the second.

I thought Rice was really good today. Zabaleta also did well with Zaha but Rice was always there to cover him.
  • edited December 2019
    I have woke up and Pelle is still our manager :angry: :weep:
    We are at the moment and for the majority of the season been average at best, and IMO that is being kind, inconsistency, no leadership on or off the field, losing a whopping 15 points from winning positions, blame the players?, the manager ? his chopping and changing the team ? the strange & too late substitutions ?
    I don't have the answer, but being our most rewarded manager in the club's history, pay wise & his budget he has had, he is as poor a manager that I can rememeber going back to Grant, even last season was nothing more than OK in performances, I've said it before that a few "attractive performances " we saw - big bloomin deal, IMO Slav in the final season at Upton Park provided far more in all terms, performances, team spirit , fan approval..
    Again IMO , I might sound like a parrot repeating myself, but from the start I thought Pellegrini was and is an ill fit for us, like when you think you still have the same waist size you did in your 20's and then reality bites, sad....
    If he remains, IMO it'll be a miracle if we survive relegation, and for what he get's , that IMO is simply not acceptable.
    Re yesterday, another fine example, playing an out of sorts team, leading the game , then buckling like a poorly made item of clothing, a sad case of Deja Vu this season, a very bad habit we have under the current manager.
    While some think we deserved a point and played OK, fair enough, but is OK really enough & at the end of the day it's a point's thing, something we are seriously lacking. 7 points at home so far half way through the season, shambolic IMO and certainly relegation form.
    I really hope he is gone by 2020, otherwise IMO championship football awaits us.
    He seems unable to inspire players & only knocks their confidence, so obvious to see with a lot of players form this season, PLS GO PELLE ASAP.
  • I just watched the game and am disappointed, however I do not think it was that dreadful a performance, on balance CP were probably worthy of the win but honestly it could have been 5-3.

Our goal and their second had some real quality about them but outside of that any true quality was hard to find.

Biggest disappointment for me was Haller, he was very quiet and yet having Antonio (Who was pretty much a beast today) alongside him should have given him the opportunity to shine but at least IMO, it was a wild swing and a miss from him - he was pretty anonymous.

Ironically once Haller was substituted, we actually put in a few crosses that he would hopefully have thrived from, but what do I know.

This may be turning out to be a surprisingly disappointing season but I think it is a bit early to throw in the towel just yet.

BTW I started attending games pretty regularly in 78/79, had some really good times early on but have had my share of dross as well.

We are in a slump but far from the worst I have seen

COYI
  • Some poor comments about Roberto being selected, then being part of the reason we lost

He wasn’t and give it up it’s bad enough the lad has to deal with the jeering and cheering every time he deals with an easy save or back pass from out away fans (really irks me that does and I love our away support)

He done okay yesterday it was others that were wanting at certain key moments in a game we should’ve won and probably took a point at least

Hate sacking managers but he’s probably got to go, as for the 3 at the top the less said the better,

However we won’t be spending much in Jan unless we sell a Diop or a rice for big money, we’re skint as always robbing Peter to pay Paul

The move has been a total waste of time, unless your goal is to try and increase the clubs value however a relegation would sort that out, plus the tourists (every club has them) and test the 50k waiting list the writer for the Sun maintains we have

COYI
  • After going 0-1 up with half hour to go, & still being 0-1 up with 22 mins left, we should never have lost that game.

At worse, you take a draw, which would still not have been great as Villa won, but you take the draw & go two unbeaten. Move on to Leicester.

The side has lacked any sort of consistent backbone all season. I find it odd that players like Cresswell, Noble, Rice, Antonio, Snodgrass, Ogbonna, who clearly put in effort, can be part of a collective that has such a poor mental resolve.

The way this is playing out is ridiculous. I have already read an article that says Pelle now has two games to save his job. Then if he gets the necessary points, he’ll have another few games to carry on.

Just shows how indecisive they are.
  • That Noble incident was a total disgrace. Poor from him - he is the club captain - there can be no excuses. But for Antonio’s intervention there could have been another Dyer/Bowyer (at Newcastle) type incident. An absolute farce and to me gives an indication that things are all over the place behind the scenes.
  • That Noble incident was a total disgrace. Poor from him - he is the club captain - there can be no excuses. But for Antonio’s intervention there could have been another Dyer/Bowyer (at Newcastle) type incident. An absolute farce and to me gives an indication that things are all over the place behind the scenes.

Thing is, people want it to matter to players. The incident clearly shows it does. You can argue it shouldn't have happened, but for me, it shows the passion which apparently our players lack.
  • Lukerz said:

Just shows how indecisive they are.

I actually think they have made a decision. I think they made it a good while back. They're not sacking him.

And now they're just trusting to luck that he'll win at least one in every four so they can justify not sacking him.

The very least they want is to not sack him before the end of January so they can avoid giving a new manager any funds that may be a condition of taking on the job, and can withold money from Pellegrini on account of the doubts around his and Husillios' futures.

It's win-win for them.
  • Ogbonna had a moan at Noble for the pass that got Cresswell into trouble and Noble definitely didn't like it. We scored 4 minutes later so no harm done.
  • Ogbonna should be skipper anyway as at least his performances justify his place in the team.
  • I saw the team sheet yesterday and nearly did n't bother watching the game as I was in a house surrounded by gooners. Another performance where we looked less than the sum of the parts I hope Leicester have a real off day tomorrow
  • Lukerz, so takeaway the goalkeeper there’s four who arnt putting the effort in
  • I thought Roberto was a bit dodgy for the crosses but put in a much better performance. We lack pace in the backline (actally midfield and up front as well, bar Antonio) and someone like Vardy would tear it apart.
    It is hard to see where the goals are going to come form. Haller has been missing and Anderson and Lanzini are not at the races. Zabaleto did a reasonable job on Zaha. Player confidence would only improve with a new manager and we need to change now rather than wait for another two defeats.
  • The reason we lost this is that we have no strength in depth and poor fitness.

We looked solid in the first half (albeit lacking a bit of creativity). I didn't mind the lack of creativity as we looked fairly hard to break down.

In the second half our midfield disappeared. Snodgrass ran out of steam. Fornals who did have energy and looked defensively solid ended up coming off. Noble does have good fitness but with his little legs he struggles to keep up. Rice was running out of steam. We had no one else to battle in the midfield so we brought on an attacking midfielder in Lanzini who looked as tired as the others after 20 minutes.

There's no point even bringing Ajeti on as he's offered absolutely nothing in all the time he's been on the field for us. We'd be far better bringing on someone like Masuaku who can make things happen with his trickery. Pelle seems reluctant to bring on Masuaku - I don't mean to speculate but it makes me wonder if something has happened behind the scenes?
  • I don't know if anyone missed it but Haller won the header from Roberto's goal kick that led to our goal so he did do something right.
  • Lukerz said:

After going 0-1 up with half hour to go, & still being 0-1 up with 22 mins left, we should never have lost that game.

At worse, you take a draw, which would still not have been great as Villa won, but you take the draw & go two unbeaten. Move on to Leicester.

At 86 minutes my daughter said, at least we are going to draw and I pointed out that there was still plenty of time for West Ham to lost the game...
  • I was wearing my new home shirt purchased for me by my step son for Christmas, he went all out and put my name on the back, he even went so far as to pay for the extra patch on the arm that says “Premier League”

We’re doomed ;)
  • poor fitness 19 games in is shameful and a joke.
  • edited December 2019
    Our current state of play is laughable. Palace have moved forward and we are moving backwards and its not even a "bad period" its simply us being that bad
  • Let's see how far forward Palace are come the end of the season. I think there is every chance we will finish above them.
  • I know it's very disappointing to loose and it feels much worse when it's a late winner but I didn't think we were that bad, kept it tight in the first half, got a good goal in the second half to take the lead. Thier first goal could have been conceded by any team in the Premier League, it dropped to a player who drove it home from close range. You have to acknowledge that their second goal was a brilliant effort which again could have been conceded by any side. An away point would have been a much better reflection of the game.
  • Grey, I really admire your positivity, wish I shared it.
  • edited December 2019

Let's see how far forward Palace are come the end of the season. I think there is every chance we will finish above them.

If we got rid of our manager then I'd agree. Unfortunately I think it will be lose 2 or 3 then win 1. Until the end of the season.
  • Bubbles - I can't really take any credit; it's just how I'm wired.
This discussion has been closed.