West Ham v Crystal Palace (and probably VAR) (a) - Boxing Day 2019, 3pm

To be honest I didn’t expect to be doing this thread, such were my levels of confidence in us beating Southampton, but obviously this was the one time in a calendar year that I was wrong, so here we are…

4-4-2 worked well against a dreadful Southampton team, but will Pellegrini continue with it? Haller looked much better with Antonio beside him, and I think they could cause any defence a problem. But if Anderson is back, will we see a return to Haller up front on his own?

Son of Alvin went full West Ham and got injured by kicking the ball. Sounds like he is a doubt for Palace, but Fab was expected back for this one anyway so hopefully we won’t see Roberto back in-between the sticks, terrorising our defence.

Elsewhere, Fredericks is suspended and Ben Johnson injured, so it’s looking like perennial turf-botherer Wilfried Zaha will follow in Allan Saint-Maximin’s footsteps and lap the ageing Zabaleta. This is an obvious area of concern, particularly as the less-than-rapid Snodgrass is likely to be Zaba’s cover on the right.

This has many things written all over it; a Kouyate masterclass, a Tomkins goal from a corner that should have been a goal-kick, a dubious Zaha penalty approved by VAR, an Antonio goal disallowed for handball and, ultimately, a loss.

Any thoughts on the opposition, Ham...?

Comments

• Avram played Winston at RB a few times, Slav played Antonio at RB and Cresswell played on the right twice in 2017...

I'm clutching at straws, aren't I.
  • Remember when Big Sam played Matty Taylor at right back?

Man, we've struggled in that position for years.
  • I liked Lucas Neill.

And Demel.

And Tim Breacker, obvs.

But we've had some proper dross playing there.

Went to watch Carlisle last season and enjoyed seeing Matty Taylor came on for Swindon in what would be his last season as a pro. One of those professionals you new would give his all for the team, bring good skills and attitude and never hide or give up.

Think we could do with a few more like that now.
  • I liked Lucas Neill.

And Demel.

And Tim Breacker, obvs.

Ray Stewart :bowdown:
  • Sebastian Schemmel, anyone?
  • Lionel Scaloni - the go-to man for seeing a game out to protect a lead
  • Hope Fabianski is back.
    Zaha vs Zabaleta :puzzled:
  • Though looking at Palace's defence it could be a high scoring game.

They are missing Van Aarnholt / Schlupp on their fullback position.
  • I liked Lucas Neill.

And Demel.

And Tim Breacker, obvs.

See what upsons doing for a living now he owes us a performance From his time with us when he robbed a living
  • Fab in goal, David Martin with one leg at right back

Remember when Jonathan Spector played at left back?
  • Ultimate hatred towards Palace and a loss.
  • alderz said:

Sebastian Schemmel, anyone?

Loved him. I thought he was very underrated.
  • alderz said:

Sebastian Schemmel, anyone?

Loved him. I thought he was very underrated.
    I loved him on loan, less so when he signed permanently
  • Lionel Scaloni - the go-to man for seeing a game out to protect a lead

Ahhh... Back in the day when a Liverpool win wasn't greeted with a smile :puzzled:
  • edited December 2019
    Repka...

Oh and Crystal Paloss ;)
  • I reckon Zab should take a gander at some old videos of Frank Lampard Sr, I swear he considered wingers “man marked” from at least 10 yards away
  • edited December 2019
    Fabianski
    Zabaleta - Balbuena - Ogbonna - Cresswell
    Snodgrass - Noble - Rice - Fornals
    Antonio - Haller

Martin, Diop, Masuaku, Sanchez, Anderson, Lanzini, Ajeti

Should Martin not be fit, Fabianski needs to come back in. If Fab is not ready, we must play an U23 keeper. We can't throw Roberto back into the firing line.
  • Anderson for right back anyone? He might prefer it to the bench and it would be harsh on Fornals to replace him. :hmm:
  • I actually think Zabaletta will be ok so long as he doesn't try to overlap and get too far forward. Playing 2 up front makes sitting deeper and playing the long ball forward a better option. In the wolves and arsenal games we were caught on the break having overcommitted. I noticed that Wolves allowed us up to half way before pressing hard when the space/time for our sideways passing was reduced.
  • Hopefully Neil Shipperly won't be providing the half time entertainment.
  • According to Ex's podcast, Fabianksi is back for Palace but Martin is likely to start, and Lanzini is also fit for this one.

He also said Ben Johnson is fit, which contradicts reports elsewhere that he went off injured for the U23s, so it sounds like he may be an option at right back (though I fully expect Zaba to start).
  • Ex was originally saying Johnson was injured, so he's probably just made a recovery. I think you're right about Zaba though. I don't think Zaha will be as direct with his speed as Saint-Maximin (my impression is he prefers to take on players in and around the box) so hopefully Zaba will be ok.
  • Hopefully Lanzini will see how well Fornals is doing and step up his game a bit.
  • This could be a dull-fest if we go into it with the sole intention of countering Zaha. Plan B, if Zaba is getting roasted: Three at the back, with Anderson & Cresswell/Masuaku as wing-backs. Three in the middle and two up front.
    Just please, please, no Haller on his own up front.
    And I hope Tomks and Koyate get a good reception: IMO we've missed them both as squad players.
  • Tomkins left because he wanted to be a starter not a squad player and Palace have given him what he couldn't get at West Ham.
  • edited December 2019
    And Kuching, the thread title is a bit misleading till u notice the (a)!, we are away, So I guess the home fans will give them a good reception!!, as for the away fans, they are normally class..
This discussion has been closed.