The new manager hunt (was the Moyes thread) only 3 days to wait...

Comments

• I would keep Moyes I think we are moving in the right direction and with a reasonable summer window think we would improve. I also like the backroom team of Pearce gives us experience and Irvine is a highly rated coach . I think after the Burnley game he has managed to get the team to turn in one of our best performances of the season under a lot of pressure.
  • I like that he has 'played players out of position' ... but in the good way!

(Thinking Arnie + Cresswell, possibly Arthur.)
  • My concern with Mr Moyes is will he go back to Old Trafford in the summer and buy someone who Jose doesn't want like Smalling for alot of money and who isn't that good IMHO. I base that on what he did at Sunderland bringing in quite a few Everton cast offs! Especially as he is supposed to be having a major say in who we sign moving forward, which I hope we will.
  • Moyes bought two players from Everton to Sunderland, Oviedo and Gibson, plus two from Manchester United, McNair and Love, the four of them cost about £10m combined,

His biggest transfers that season were Ndong from LOrient (£18m) and Djilobodji from Chelsea (£8m).

At Man U he only bought Fellini (Everton) for £30m and Mata (Chelsea) for £37m
  • Whoops, forgot Pienaar and Lescott signed on frees
  • I’m erring on making the change in the summer.

Moyes May do the job asked of him, but do we truly know the definition of success when he joined? Because if it was to keep us up and say we end up with 39-40 points it hardly qualifies as a resounding success.

All the usual suspects who hog all the jobs - Pards, Hodgson, allardyce, pulis Moyes need to make way to freshen things up.

If we are truly intent on completely rewriting our recruitment methods this should apply at managerial level not just players. I just don’t think moyes will help us kick on and I further think we will continue to look over our shoulders and hope we are clear enough of the drop zone.
  • Well, unless Moyes' success at Everton was the longest fluke in football history, I'd say he has demonstrated that he has the know-how and experience to take us to our realistic next level, which is to say 10th+.

I'm totally against the idea of chopping and changing managers; people knock the fact that the likes of Moyes and Allardyce keep getting jobs, but say nothing when the Ancelottis and Guardiolas of this world waltz into top jobs.

If the top clubs don't feel a need to take a chance on unproven managers, I'm not sure why we should be expected to.

Leave Moyes to get on with it for 3 years, says I.
  • When the players admit they were unfit and broadly lazy and Moyes changed all that it suggests to me that he knows what he’s doing. I’d stick with him.
  • ASLEF,

I rest my case. ;whistle ;biggrin ;wink
  • Will Moyes have a say in who becomes DOF & if so the Davids might have a number 1 candidate who he can't work with?
  • Thorn

Mixed amongst that we have also been thrashed/humiliated on a few occasions too. The picture re: Moyes is not really conclusive either way IMO
  • If we stay up then we should give Moyes a full season at least, pre season is such a massive thing for a manager.

He plays decent football, knows how to build a squad and it mature enough to deal and understands the David’s....

I like Howe but we outplayed Bournemouth with Moyes in charge.
  • i think Sunderland is a basket case I assume he want to buy quality but due to whatever is going on behind the scenes he ended up with just some bodies that he trusted.

On Pardew the day he was announced I think I wrote on this forum that WBA we’re doomed, sacking Pulis and replacing him with Pardew was a terrible decision...
  • MrsGrey said:

Depends on your point of view.

Personally, I hope Moyes stays.

Which by implication means I think he was a good appointment.

I hope Moyes stays to, there’s not much managerial talent around in English Football
  • edited April 2018
    C&BfL,

There might be a manager outside England that could do the job.

That's not to say I am particularly against Moyes staying on. ;ok
  • Fortune ;ok
    Moyes has been a good appointment so far, Billic was a poor appointment, who I doubted for the start, although I was happy to be proved wrong in his first season, there after it was normal service as far as he goes as a manager. Allardyce did a good job for us, but I think most were relieved when he left.....as for Avram......total disaster.
  • I’m struggling to see the case right now to keep Moyes for x amount of time. I mean the season is far from done and we are not safe. 37 points (say) and scraping safety is by no means a ringing endorsement. I agree by the same token it may conversely be too early to want him replaced also. But by virtue of the fact that even our owners did not want to commit to him as a longer term option the whole situation can only really be assessed at the end of the season.
  • I’ll stick with Moyes, he’s done a good job so far.
  • Whose the director of football going to be because I suggest he and the manager should forge a good relationship too to move the club forward
  • Yes keep Sullivan well clear of any transfer dealings, he’s poison.
  • I was happy with Moyes when he was appointed and after a very short time he had the club playing at a much improved level. There was a poor patch recently when we fell back (coincident with Masuaku's enforced rest) and I became disillusioned again but after Saturday I am still euphoric and therefore more than happy to stick with Moyes for the next couple of seasons...unless some disaster occurs between now and seasons end...fickle or what ;lol
  • If we stay up then we should give Moyes a full season at least, pre season is such a massive thing for a manager.

He plays decent football, knows how to build a squad and it mature enough to deal and understands the David’s....

I like Howe but we outplayed Bournemouth with Moyes in charge.

We drew with Bournemouth both times this season ?
  • Doesn't mean we didn't outplay them.
  • didnt they go 2-0 up we made a comeback and they score in the last minute. Game of 2 halves i recall not outplayed.
  • For me I’d rather we went for someone a bit younger maybe a foreigner, but in our current situation it could be better to build slowly

Moyes has done “okay” in my eyes, nothing spectacular and we’ve still suffered some terrible hidings, which showed the same problems when Slav was here. I think he’s been honest and I like that as well.

Regarding the fitness of the squad, too much is made of that for my liking, you look at any Burnley, LFC and Swansea defeat and a portion of the fan base are screaming “lazy, not fit enough!!” However after a saints game it’s “oooh that warm weather training worked out didn’t it” bottom line for me, there is normally the same amount of fitness and effort, the key factors are form and confidence, plus the lines in the PL are so fine, don’t take your chances or be clinical and you’re history.

I’d give him a 40-50m pot and see what he can do, but none of these ridiculous “is he a one season wonder” nonsense coming down from the board, back him and trust him. If not we will forever be going round in circles and not progressing too much, build something have a plan and stick to it

Just my two cents
  • edited April 2018
    Sorry, I'm confused... Do we give him 40-50M or just two cents ;puzzled
  • I was against his appointment and frankly have seen little to give me much confidence, when we looked good for a couple of games, I was unimpressed with a few comments that were reported, may have been spoken in jest but IMO it smacked a bit of arrogance, we then slipped back a bit.

Despite all the above, we had a good performance on Saturday and I think that we will be safe this year.

I am against swapping out managers as if we have a revolving door. My take is that any forward looking appointment of manager should go hand in hand with the appointment of director of football, they should work closely together as a team, if that means we keep DM then so be it.

Re DM, I obviously hope he does well for us and I have a healthy slice of humble pie in my pantry, I did look at it a month or so again but was able to resist temptation, absent a requirement driven by the appointment of a Director of Football, he should be given another complete season at least.
  • Yeold, I was meaning style of play rather than result.

When thinking about Moyes I compare him to our last british manager, I think our style is a lot more attractive under Moyes and I think he can also bring the squad character and organisation that BFS did.

I never judge West Ham on winning, after about 5 years of supporting them I realised it was like judging a mini on 0 to 60 time... ;hmm
  • and they score in the last minute.

They were given a goal by an idiot ref that was a clear handball, even after he had a long conflab with the lino. Bring on VAR!!!!
  • Baz: to make it clear... we give him 40-50m, of which Slav contributes 2 cents ;wink
This discussion has been closed.