The new manager hunt (was the Moyes thread) only 3 days to wait...

Comments

• Yea 12 minutes is a joke...and you can inly assume he wasnt a moyes signing...or he would be playing

Evra was a panic buy given Masuakas suspension

There is no point of him

Mario was the only signing id say Moyes actually wanted and while he hasnt done awfully he looks too lightweight for this league

Awful January window
  • Sold a striker to a rival

Sold possibly the best finishing striker at the club

Sold a 4th CB when we’ve been using a 3 CB system quite a bit - plus did anyone look at our problematic defender injury history?

Said there would be no more over 30 something’s and sign Evra 36

Absolute shambles, they’re all to blame
  • Individually, I don't disagree with selling any of the people we sold. Ayew was poor for us and clearly didn't fit in. Fonte was way past his best and we were being offered money for someone who wouldn't be in our first team and had been out for months. Sakho never had his head on right. Burke needed first team football, and Oxford wanted to back to BMG. All of that individually makes sense.

But as a collective it is not good or smart business.
  • agree Alderz

Selling Sakho needed to be done
    Selling Ayew yes but no in January ! in Summer and certainly not to a relegation rival !
    Selling Fonte needed to be done

But if we want to progress as a club we need Better than these guys Hugill and Evra are no better than the guys who left.
  • alderz said:

Individually, I don't disagree with selling any of the people we sold. Ayew was poor for us and clearly didn't fit in. Fonte was way past his best and we were being offered money for someone who wouldn't be in our first team and had been out for months. Sakho never had his head on right. Burke needed first team football, and Oxford wanted to back to BMG. All of that individually makes sense.

Selling those players was necessary for the reasons you stated. Unfrtohnately they all could have been good players for us.

However we didn't replace enough of them (3 signings wasn't enough) and B we signed awful players. I'm happy with Mario but Evra and Hugill are simply no way near good enough. I still can't understand why people think signing a "young, hungry forward" in Hugill is a good idea when he's not actually a good player? If I played I'd be hungry but that doesn't mean I'd be any good.
  • I think it came about from those trying to defend the board

Pretty sure 95% of the people here didnt even know who he was before we were linked with him and similarly never seen him play

8 goals in the championship wasnt going to inpire confidence

Evra was just a panic due to arthurs suspension and the fact the window closed already, could only get freebies
  • alderz said:

And neither is suddenly realising on deadline day itself that dendonckers club might actually need to have a replacement before selling to us
  • Champo

Please think about moving away from the idea that people are 'defending the board' when they post; it isn't helpful, and doesn't represent what is happening.

Personally, I never intend what I post as 'defending the board' (despite that label getting stuck on me by various posters.) I just try to interpret what I see/read in front of me.

• edited March 2018
    and it’s not black and white either...

For or against.

There is a huge area in between were a lot of us stand.
  • Another thing about yesterday was that Moyes quite clearly got done over like a kipper by Dyche - only last week Burnley soaked up pressure and then he sent on wood to do a smash an grab. It was obvious to most that they would try the same again. We were powerless to stop it
  • alderz said:

MrsGrey said:

If only they'd signed a defender, a midfielder and a forward.

But what was the point in signing Hugill, and did it improve us at all? He's been available for 450 minutes of football since signing, and he has played 12. That's 2.7% of available minutes that he's played for us. He replaced Sakho, who played 293 of the 1620 minutes he was available, 18%. So basically, we replaced a guy who never played with someone who plays even less.

Mario for Ayew is probably an improvement given his form for us, but Evra definitely hasn't improved us.

Loaning out Reece Burke AND selling Jose Fonte was daft, given our lack of other options.

Personally, I feel that we have a weaker squad now than we did before the transfer window
    We have but we made money I always thort a window was to improve the squad not to balance the books but ay what do I know
  • And personally don’t think you can judge a player with 12 minutes to his name
  • We had a poor squad before the wIndow. The combination of a shambolically poor window and some season long injuries (some of which were known before the window shut) has remarkably made that poor squad even poorer.

I am personally, therefore, not surprised we are now getting thrashed/humiliated on a fairly regular basis.
  • I don’t agree that our squad is poor, I just think it is too thin, and unbalanced.

IMO, every position we have at least one player who is a good premier league player (and when I say every position I’m meaning 3 CBs, 2 CMs, etc).

The trouble is that we have an injury crisis every five minutes and there is not sufficient quality to our depth.
  • Unfortunately, alders, the Premier League is a punishing league, I agree that we can put out a decent first eleven and a couple of subs, but to get by in this league you need a strong squad and that squad has to have quality beyond the team sheet.
  • MrsGrey said:

If only they'd signed a defender, a midfielder and a forward.

An out of contract 36 year old defender, an overseas loan midfielder, and a barely average championship forward, whilst selling Sakho, Ayew and Fonte. I'm not against any of those going, but replacing them with worse is hardly backing the manager imo, especially as nothing else was done to sort the problems that weren't addressed in the last summer window.
  • Lose at home to saints let Moyes go
  • Not sure another European club will take a punt on him ;lol
  • edited April 2018
    Let’s just hope Pardew isn’t available should Moyes leave us at the end of the season ;nonono
  • He was available before we appointed Moyes, and it was suggested that he had made overtures to the club.

Can't see any reason why we would consider him.

• I bloomin hope not, awful manager, his record the last two appointments has been a disaster......

• He was available before we appointed Moyes, and it was suggested that he had made overtures to the club.

Can't see any reason why we would consider him.

Perhaps not at that time as we were interested in Moyes, however the situation could be different with perhaps Mark Hughes being available should as looks likely Southampton are relegated. Neither Pardew or Hughes would be a good choice as our manager and to be honest Gold,Sullivan & Brady don’t have a great record of choosing managers do they?
  • edited April 2018
    Depends on your point of view.

Personally, I hope Moyes stays.

Which by implication means I think he was a good appointment.
  • I think we all know that deep down S&G won't be truly happy with a manager until they have Benitez

Rafa. Sigh ❤️❤️❤️
  • Personally, I think the only bad appointment they made was Avram Grant. Allardyce did a very good job with us and left at the right time. Slaven did a good job with us and left probably a few months too late. If Moyes keeps us up (I think he will) then he will have proven to be a success for this season.

I wouldn't mind us changing manager in the summer, but I actually think the most important appointment is a direct of football. We need someone to oversee the recruitment strategy, and to give us an identity that would survive managerial change.
  • When Moyes replaced Bilic, we were in grave danger of being relegated.
    I think Moyes has done an excellent job getting us into a strong position
    of avoiding relegation. Assuming we do survive relegation, surely he would
    deserve a full season year, before we start thinking about another manager.
  • I didn’t want him to be honest but I’d give him two years at least only criticism and not all his fault is consistency cus when we good were good and when were not we really are dire I can accept a bad performance but not through lack of effort or fitness
  • edited April 2018
    Still do not think Moyes is the right man to stabilise West Ham long term.
    If he keeps us up, then he has done the job we hired him to do. But he is not the man to take us forward in my opinion or to keep us rooted in mid table. I can see him battling relegation with us next season if we stay up and if he is still our manager.
  • I think that most managers will struggle with us next year unless we have a good summer. The advantage of keeping Moyes is that he knows the squad and the system he wants to play and where we are lacking. So the planning for the summer can happen early (now?). A new manager might want to play a back 4 which would mean a change in recruitment policy.

That's why I say the DOF is most important. Managers should come in and buy into what we are building as a club, rather than the club changing to suit a manager everytime they walk through the door.
This discussion has been closed.