The new manager hunt (was the Moyes thread) only 3 days to wait...

Comments

• Moyes was never the right fit for me at Utd, he was going to a club where it needed rebuilding again if Utd had wanted him that bad they would have got him in earlier so he had longer in the transfer market and he should imo have kept some of the previous backroom staff to help bed him in but in my eyes he cane to West Ham as a failure but he’s proved to me that with the right club ( us hopefully) he has what it takes to build a club I’ve stated previously I think he deserves a longer contract but something tells me he won’t sign because others might want him too, though I hope I’m wrong
  • He got Noble off corners immediately. And most free-kicks too.

That gets a ;ok from me for him staying longer term.
  • And he put Mario in charge of most free-kicks last match. Best since P....t, possibly
  • edited February 2018
    P......t, ;hmm sounds familiar
  • Expat

Yes.

Bring proper kit, or you'll have to do it in your pants.
  • ;lol

Takes me back.
  • And lose a house point
  • I think it's worth recognising that in these times when the board are coming under attack, and quite deservedly on so many points, that we actually have them to thank for a decisive appointment in Moyes, which went against the view of the majority (myself certainly included) of fans. It does take some courage to make those calls and with so many suggesting we should now sign him up and let him build a team it's quite possibly a credit where credit is due moment.
  • c&b yes very pleased it’s worked out for us
    The fear was, going like Sunderland and that Spanish team,
    The board for a ;clap for gamble” or know what there do doing” ;clap
    Or Dave Moyes well done “ Dave Moyes”
    ;clap well done,, pulling team together and a plan ;clap
  • I think it's worth recognising that in these times when the board are coming under attack, and quite deservedly on so many points, that we actually have them to thank for a decisive appointment in Moyes

Sorry to disagree but its not as if the board had a great deal of choice, we didn't have top class managers falling over themselves in a race to replace Bilic, pretty much the same situation as when Bilic replaced Big Sam.

We just got lucky in that Moyes happened to be without a club at a time when we needed a manager
  • Don't see what luck has to do with it, they employed the best man available at the time, you could say they were unlucky a lot of the signings have been rubbish but that would n't be true either.They get plenty of things wrong but on this occasion they have got something right.
  • Don't see what luck has to do with it, they employed the best man available at the time

The best man that was available for free

• We needed someone straight away so available meant" not employed" as he was free seems even better than if we had shed out millions breaking his contract. We could of gone the Everton route and try and get another teams manager and ended up with Big Sam again ;lol
  • People act like the owners just needed to click their fingers and offer a bag of money and other clubs would have been booting their successful manager out of the door, but it isn't that easy.

Everton spent a month trying to coax a manager away from another club, and had a pretty terrible time under David Unsworth (with an exception ;doh ), and still ended up with a free.
  • edited February 2018
    ASLEF, Buffy ;ok

Not intended to knock the board, but if Moyes was employed elsewhere I don't think we'd have pursued him, so I don't believe he was our top choice.

He was arguably our top choice of a) what was available and b) who was prepared to come to us.

Can't help but feel they lucked into Moyes somewhat.

Just my opinion, mind ;ok
  • I don't think I'm alone in suspecting that the manager they really want is Benitez so Moyes was second or even third choice if the reports that we approached Ancelotti are to be believed

Bilic wasn't first choice either
  • Almost everybody employs a manager currently out of work.
  • Pep, Jose were both frees...
  • They do Jorderz, which suggests to me that clubs rarely appoint the manager they really want, particuarly mid-season.

Which is why I think we lucked into Moyes rather than it being a masterstroke by the board.

Moyes was available in the summer, but they stuck with Bilic. That to me suggests that Moyes wasn't on their radar until Bilic's meltdown forced their hand to act.
  • edited February 2018
    alderz said:

People act like the owners just needed to click their fingers and offer a bag of money and other clubs would have been booting their successful manager out of the door, but it isn't that easy.

I don't think anyone is suggesting it is ;hmm

Pretty much all of the clubs that have sacked their manager this season have ended up with underwhelming replacements. I just happen to think we got the best of that underwhelming bunch.
  • So what 'overwhelming' manager were you expecting to pick up?
  • edited February 2018
    IronHerb said:

So what 'overwhelming' manager were you expecting to pick up?

I wasn't.

And I'm not sure where you think I suggested that I was ;hmm

My point is that Moyes, Lambert, Allardyce, Pardew et al would not have been people's first choice of manager. The main reason they got their respective jobs is because they were available rather than their actual ability, IMO.

When we sacked Bilic, I wasn't claiming we should be targetting Guardiola, or Conte, or Ancelotti, or any other 'overwhelming' manager because I knew they weren't realistic.

Moyes was the best of what was available and, with hindsight, I'm glad we've got him; I just don't think that the board acted out of courage or a belief that Moyes was the man for us (the six month contract alone implies they themselves had considerable doubt), but more out of necessity.
  • I think Moyes has exceeded many peoples expectations (which were quite low), he got a good back room team , got the players fitter than have been for a long time and instilled belief back into the team. He seems to be enjoying life at West Ham and seems like the Moyes of Everton rather than the Moyes of Sunderland. If he can get the transfers sorted which seems to be happening I think we could have a v good manager on our hands.
  • PLF, absolutely agree with that ;ok
  • Interesting interview on the OS with one the coaches, gives some insight into how Moyes runs things.

http://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2018/february/13-february/billy-mckinlay-coach-all-seasons
  • Moyes was the best of what was available and, with hindsight, I'm glad we've got him; I just don't think that the board acted out of courage or a belief that Moyes was the man for us (the six month contract alone implies they themselves had considerable doubt), but more out of necessity.

I think that they deserve credit for changing manager. You can say it's an act of necessity, and I do agree with that to an extent, but they don't sack managers mid season, it's not something they've ever done (I think it was once with Birmingham?). If it was a 'necessity' to do so this year, then it was even more so the year Avram Grant was in charge. According to some it was a necessity at a similar stage last season to sack Bilic, but they didn't. Based on the fact they don't do it, and the fact they made the call, I think it's fair to call it an act of courage (with a given value of courage).

Separately, and I may be inventing this so I'll happily be corrected, but I am sure we have been linked with Moyes on a few occasions since the Dave's bought the club. If that's the case, could it be argued that actually the have got their long term target?
  • If they'd got their long term target, I doubt they'd have given him a six-month contract.
  • OCS

Personally, I think they are hedging their bets. I think when he came in they were still worried about relegation, and they thought that they didn't want to pay out to someone if they went down.

I think it's perfectly conceivable that the plan is to have Moyes in charge for years, but that both parties wanted the flexibility of a break clause at the end of the season.

Also, what's to say that the owners didn't sit down and say "we want to give you a 3 year deal" but Moyes wanted a shorter term? He didn't want to manage Sunderland in the Championship, and he's also frequently reminded of how well his long term contract with ManUtd turned out. Isn't it possible that he was the one who wanted it shorter?
  • edited February 2018
    alderz - I think both parties had reasons to be cautious about a long term deal so they agreed to give it a six months trial period and see how it went
  • In a way Moyes was in a win win situation if we were relegated he could say it’s the club and owners and if he keeps us up is reputation goes back up and other clubs want him, I personally didn’t want him but think he’s earned a contract, just not sure he will want it but hope I’m wrong
This discussion has been closed.