The new manager hunt (was the Moyes thread) only 3 days to wait...

Comments

• MrsGrey said:
    nooooo...the curse....
  • The curse seemed to start before the nominations had been announced.
  • I think the nomination should belong to me personally
  • I think Mr Moyes has done better than expected since joining and has carried himself much better than he did at Sunderland , Man utd etc when being interviewed and in his general demeanour.
    He was given a very tough job at probably the worst run club in the Premier league and whatever happens to us at the end of the season I wouldn’t hold him responsible at all.
    There is a horrible undercurrent surrounding this club but that is not of our managers doing it is down to our board.
  • I agree, I think he has done the best he could given the circumstances, I think players are producing better performances individually and are collectively better organised. I especially like how he speaks as he doesn't provide spin and doesn't over react.

I hope he is on a whopping bonus to keep us up and I hope he gets it, for our sake and for himself.
  • As some of you know, I keep an Excel workbook with a load of West Ham stuff in, just cos I'm a cool guy.

This is a screenshot of our league points for this season vs last. The vertical line shows the point that Moyes was appointed (12th game). What I found interesting when looking at this, was that we were in an almost identical situation last season as this when we made a managerial change (11pts last year, 9pts this).

Then, after 15 games, we started to pick up form, and over the Autumn / Winter period we effectively saved our season. Last year, after 15 games we had 13pts, and after 27 games we had 33. This year, after 15 games we had 10pts, and after 27 games we have 30.

We then picked up 12pts in our remaining 11 games.

Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at 11.20.39

So, bearing this in mind, and given the fact that two different managers have presided over an upturn in form in the middle section of the season, in successive seasons, with largely the same players, could it be that the players application and form has improved when we have fallen into dire straights, table wise? What impact has a change in manager actually had? And would we have seen a similar upturn in points had Slaven Bilic remained in charge?
  • edited February 2018
    Don’t think so alderz, our fitness was was joke,,, I suspect the only place we was going,was down,,;doc Moyes has saved our season
  • edited February 2018
    Obviously we'll never know, but I suspect not. We looked utterly lost under Slav at the end, whereas under Moyes it looks like we have a plan and an identity, at least.
  • For the record, I'm not saying whether or not I think that is the case. I am just showing the similarities in our seasons, and demonstrating that the manager last year managed to turn things around at the exact point that the manager this year has managed to.

FWIW, my opinion is that Bilic would have hit a purple patch and would have improved us. However, I believe that the football under Moyes this season has been far more entertaining than under Bilic last season, and I feel more confident in our long term future with Moyes at the helm than I did with Bilic. I believe that we have a better chance of not repeating the same poor start next year should Moyes be in charge, than had we kept Slav.
  • Alderz ;ok good work

I think what it might point to is perhaps more emphasis needs to be put onto pre-season this coming campaign. It seems we have been slow out the traps the past two seasons.
  • alderz ;cool
  • #StatGod ;bowdown
  • Although we picked up points under Bilic, I feel Moyes has actually got much more from players than Bilic ever did. Ogbonna, Masuaku, Arnie, Hernandez, Creswell, Adrian are all
    Performing on a different level. Could also say that Lanzinis Huddersfield display was one of his best. Bilic was very good at isolating players, even Payet was poor in his second season stuck out in the left with no imagination. I felt like Bilic planning and application was very lazy at times. So was Moyes at Brighton etc, but he seems to have a much sharper learning curve than Bilic
  • Think last season was a little bit different imo, mostly because of how bad Sunderland, Boro and Hull were and we one against each of them once. Also we seemed to pick up our points in groups, remember picking up 3 wins on the trot around Christmas and 9 points out of 12 at the end of Jan/feb

Also I remember a lot of the wins under Bilic were less than convincing and very rarely did I think we were unlucky or played well like we have under Moyes

I also think that the constant relegation battling took a lot out of Bilic, he just looked like a man beaten this year whereas last year he at least seemed strong mentally

He may has succeeded but personally think it wasn't going to turn around anytime soon
  • Under Bilic this season points per game = 0.8 compared with Moyes 1.3

Under Bilic this season win % 18.2 compared with Moyes 31.3

IMO no comparison
  • MNLH

20 points in the 12 middle games of the season both years? That's the point of comparison I was making. It's obvious Moyes has done better than Bilic did at the start of the season.
  • And another plus for me is under Bilic arnie was a complete waste of space and money where as Moyes as helped turn him into a world beater and a consistent one at that imo
  • I always thought Bilic transfer policy was lazy also; anyone that had a good game against us!
  • Bilic brought us Manu, Payet and Arnie, amongst others.
  • His first season was great, he had a list from scouts from his other teams. His second and third were terrible. I don’t count Arnautovic, as he didn’t know how to play or manage him...similar Hernandez.
  • edited February 2018
    Well, if you are going to pick'n'mix to suit your argument, then there's nothing to discuss
  • Bilic brought us Manu, Payet and Arnie, amongst others.

Prove it
  • Well, that's me stumped... ;puzzled
  • edited February 2018
    Maybe we'll wake up and find it was all a dream. ;nonono
  • I really want Moyes here next season. Priority. Number one for me.
  • imagelost said:

Bilic brought us Manu, Payet and Arnie, amongst others.

Prove it
    What I mean is whom
    Bilic ?
    Sully
    Gold
    Young jack
    A N other
    K Brady
    I am just saying round pegs square holes,
    It just seems late in day
    The payet was great But who got him to sign

For me, you either give the manager 100% of the blame and credit for transfers, or you don't give any.

I don't think it is reasonable to pick and choose.
  • Also, if you are trying to compare managers' records, you have to assume that they each 'signed' the players recruited on their watch. Otherwise.. well, any comparison is just impossible.
  • I

For me, you either give the manager 100% of the blame and credit for transfers, or you don't give any.

I don't think it is reasonable to pick and choose.

With respect grey
    Whom done what with whom, sign who?
    Dave Moyes is here, I Dreaded him, I know have a lot faith in DM
    You could ask “ would payet stayed with Moyes as manger “
    ?
This discussion has been closed.