The new manager hunt (was the Moyes thread) only 3 days to wait...

Comments

• Sully has said that he hopes Moyes will be our manager for years to come. You would have to assume that if Moyes is happy here - and it sounds like he is - that he'll get the two year extension (barring relegation).
  • Me personally believe he will be offered a contract but he will turn it down, I hope he stays but in my tea leaves I think he will decide to go
  • I'm 90% there was an interview on the OS when Payet joined where Bilic said that Payet was his number 1 target, and there were subsequent interviews where Payet said Bilic was like a father to him.

If the question is "would Payet have stayed with Moyes in charge" the answer is almost certainly no, because he wanted to go back to Marseille.
  • alderz said:

I'm 90% there was an interview on the OS when Payet joined where Bilic said that Payet was his number 1 target, and there were subsequent interviews where Payet said Bilic was like a father to him.

If the question is "would Payet have stayed with Moyes in charge" the answer is almost certainly no, because he wanted to go back to Marseille.

Excellent answer ;bowdown

For me, you either give the manager 100% of the blame and credit for transfers, or you don't give any.

I don't think it is reasonable to pick and choose.

Can we put this up on a billboard outside Sully’s office window?
  • I remember reading that Sullivan was well aware of Payet and made that priority number one. I give it too Bilic 100% though. So he also takes Fonte, Snodgrass, The Turkish fella and all the rest on the chin also.
  • And especially Ayew.
  • From match day 18 to 27....

E10A2049-D1AC-441F-85C2-99ECB51D6DAA
  • Moyes joined on week 12 right?
  • Interesting arguments about Bilic & Moyes. If Alderz has stats concerning Andy Carroll, I'd be interested (I'm an interested kind of guy): I have a theory that we now play better because AC is out of the way and we had to evolve another style of football. I thought Carroll was brilliant for team morale, but we always 'played to his strengths' and had no Plan B when he was injured.
  • Carroll should be the plan B but was often made plan A. Our strike force needed a total rehaul Sakho and Ayew gone. Move on Carroll and the job will be done on the striker re jig. It's then about bringing someone of quality in.
  • Yield, if and when fit Andy Carroll should also be England’s “Plan B” IMO
  • How the table looks for games since Moyes joined, not including Watford on Saturday:

Capture

From here: http://www.footstats.co.uk/index.cfm?task=home a decent alternative to the long absent statto.com
  • Interesting arguments about Bilic & Moyes. If Alderz has stats concerning Andy Carroll, I'd be interested (I'm an interested kind of guy): I have a theory that we now play better because AC is out of the way and we had to evolve another style of football. I thought Carroll was brilliant for team morale, but we always 'played to his strengths' and had no Plan B when he was injured.

I don’t, and it’s a bit difficult to determine our style of play from stats. You could look at Squawka and see the numbers of goals, shots, crosses, through balls, long balls, possession in games when AC ahead and hasn’t played I guess?
  • We never played to AC strengths its why Cresswell crosses the ball perfectly to Hernandez put cannot put a cross onto the 6ft+ AC's forehead and instead hits the first man.

Doesn't help when AC's weakness Heavily outweighs his strength in a football team (getting injured all the time)
  • Moyes, who revealed any new scouting system would borrow from the one he put in place during his decade at Everton, said: “I want the West Ham supporters to think that, ‘Yeah, David Moyes is the right man for the job’; I want the West Ham board to think, ‘David Moyes is the right man’, and I also want to see that West Ham’s the right club for David Moyes because I’m ambitious. I want to be challenging against the big boys.

“It took me years to build Everton up. And, in the end, I got a job which I thought would make things a bit easier to win and win cups and trophies.

“I’m happy to do that again, but I don’t know if I’d get the time I got at Everton to build up West Ham over the years.

“So, you need to have the tools to be instantly successful, really. And I need to know that, when it comes to it, we can do something, we can do a bit of damage here.”
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/02/11/david-moyes-plans-long-term-west-ham-owners-surrender/
  • Well that's a statement and a half. Well played Moyes.

I wonder if by "tools" he means money ;hmm Because if so, that's a hell of a challenge he's laid a the door of G&S.

Will be interesting to see how this one develops. Sounds like he wants to stay, but only if he's given some decent backing (one assumes in terms of money and control over the transfer policy).
  • OCS

I think by 'tools' he means infrastructure in terms of scouting and recruitment.

What I like is that what he says dovetails with what Diddy D said, so it seems to me that Moyes has convinced the board his way is the way to go.
  • Grey, I suspect you're right, but
    I want to be challenging against the big boys.
    will take a considerable financial investment, so I think there's an element of that in his thinking.
  • Also a head of recruitment that doesn't want to ignore the biggest continent would be a great help....
  • The Moyesiah;

"I need to know that..............we can do a bit of damage here"

Love it ;bowdown
  • Has he been talking to Ray?
  • The Moyesiah;

"I need to know that..............we can do a bit of damage here"

Love it ;bowdown

Basically, he needs some assurances from the Dave’s that there is money in the safe.
  • Lukerz

I'm sure that's part of it, but it seems wider, to me.

He knows what has worked for him in the past, and he wants to know (and seems to have been re-assured) that the board will put an appropriate system in place for him.
  • Moyes could,if he stays, help G&S become much better owners (IMO).
  • He worked on a shoestring for most of his time at Everton so I’m sure he won’t be immediately demanding £100M next summer or he’s out.
  • For my part, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed having Moyes as our manager. I like the way we’ve played for 80-90% of the games. I like every interview he’s done. I especially like that every player in every team he selects works their socks off and gives everything.
  • He worked on a shoestring for most of his time at Everton so I’m sure he won’t be immediately demanding £100M next summer or he’s out.

I'm not sure that's quite accurate - he certainly had to balance the books, but he did get money to spend.
  • Of course he does because even if he doesn’t like them, he’s a

We never played to AC strengths its why Cresswell crosses the ball perfectly to Hernandez put cannot put a cross onto the 6ft+ AC's forehead and instead hits the first man.

Doesn't help when AC's weakness Heavily outweighs his strength in a football team (getting injured all the time)

I think we think we’re playig to AC’s strengths but aren’t. We often to send balls towards his head but he doesn’t do much with them. He’s better with crosses he can attack, rather than things just send towards him and which he’s not in place for because he has a habit of dropping deep for a couple of unnecessary touches that slow the game down. He’d be much better if we had runners getting in behind him and giving him something to run onto.
  • David Moyes didn't have a lot of money at Everton but he built a side good enough to worry me every time we had to play them, especially at Goodison Park. He did a great job with a modest football club.

When he was offered the job at Man.Utd. I feared for him because they were never going to be the right fit for him.
    I was sorry when he took the job at Man.U. because Moyes is a long term Manager and is a true star in building a club from the bottom with limited resources. He was never going to be given that chance at Man.U.

Real Sociedad simply were not the right mix for Moyes. Everton YES! Real Sociedad NEVER!

I find it difficult to compare Sunderland with West Ham. Both clubs have great fans and great history. But for me, that is where the comparison ends. Previous Sunderland managers speak of a very strange atmosphere at the club and something rotten in the very fabric of the club. Our owners may not be the best owners in club football, but they are not the worst; and I think Moyes will do well in these circumstances.

When I heard that he was coming to West Ham, I was very pleased, simply because the fit seems so good. We have good players who under-performed for Slaven. Moyes came into the club with very little pressure and a damaged reputation, unfairly in my opinion. He has great ability at managing the right club. But it is horses for courses. Let him build on what we have. We are not Man Utd. Neither are we Real Sociedad and we are certainly a much much better club than Sunderland. We are West Ham and, in my humble opinion, we are much closer to Everton as a football Club than the other clubs he has managed.

I am very happy at the appointment of David Moyes; not because he is the world's best manager, but because I think he is the right fit. The hand fits the glove perfectly. I think we will be a mid-table side within two seasons, maybe reaching even higher.
    This is the club I have loved for 67 years and I believe we are in good hands now.

Or, then again, we could be relegated!

This discussion has been closed.