The new manager hunt (was the Moyes thread) only 3 days to wait...

Comments

• Although there have been plenty of rumours that Rafa wanted little pea at Newcastle?...
  • I’m surprised Ancelotti hasn’t been mentioned given that he is out of work, has been on our radar in the past, and has previously said he would manage us even in the championship? Especially as Arsenal might be favouring Arteta
  • Although there have been plenty of rumours that Rafa wanted little pea at Newcastle?...

Didn’t he once enquire after Adrian as well
  • I will only get excited about any appointment once I know the transfer budget he is going to get, then you can start making plans, and comparing managers. I would imagine that any of the candidates mentioned, will want a lump of money, Rafa in the press saying he wants £100m to spend.
    We shall see....
  • Sorry barracks.
  • Chatting to a Newcastle fan at work he reckons Rafa won't leave because there's no point in leaving one poorly run club for another
  • Id be happy with Pellegrini

Bit risky but its an ambitious move

But i would be slightly disappointed as i kind of want rafa now
  • With a decent budget be happy with either one of the two mentioned in order of preference Rafa first Pellegrini second
  • Surprised Ancelotti's name hasn't being banded around yet. ;hmm
  • Surprised Ancelotti's name hasn't being banded around yet. ;hmm

Scroll up
  • I cannot understand why anyone would be getting themselves exercised over whether Benitez, Pellegrini, Fonseca or whoever would be a better fit.

Surely everyone knows that at the end of the day we are going to wind up with Mike Bassett.
  • Jorderz ;ok

The problem is Herb and Jay have turned my head and had convinced me Rafa was joining

U gotta keep the faith ...... ;run
  • Pellegrini would be interesting; undoubtedly he has the pedigree and experience but there are legitimate concerns about his desire/motivation after going to China, how badly MCFC deteriorated under him during his last season (particularly tactically) and the wider issue of whether he is a head/coach manager,the role of Sulivan, etc, etc. Compare that to Rafa and Rafas record is more comprehensive and he would only take the job if he has total control and a clearly set remit, which the board may not like,but IMO it is what the club needs to get control over the wastefulness and lack of direction that has seeped in under G+S.
  • Bearing in mind Rafa's current contract, Pellegrini's age and Moyes being unhappy with what he may (or may not) have been offered. What about Pellegrini being a one year contract whilst we wait for Rafa to be 'on a free'?
  • Noooooo!

We need continuity and stability, not chopping and changing.

• I'm not suggesting it as something I want, just an observation of what Sully may be up to - if he can't prise Rafa away this year ...
  • Would we pay £6 million for a player so why not just pay for Rafa and get him now?
  • I don't understand why Pellegrini's age is an issue?

I feel like people equate age to dynamism and dynamism to attacking football...? To me the 'old' model is more like those who have had many PL jobs and not done anything with them (Sam, Pulis, Redknapp, Hughes, Pardew, etc)
  • edited May 2018
    adecoker said:

I cannot understand why anyone would be getting themselves exercised over whether Benitez, Pellegrini, Fonseca or whoever would be a better fit.

Surely everyone knows that at the end of the day we are going to wind up with Mike Bassett.

Only if he does thing in the bar, when in the bottom 3 ;clap
    There’s only one Micheal Bassett
    Wunnnnnn Micccccallll beazzzzzzzzzit
  • Pellegrini ;hmm

My worry is that he fits the profile Sully likes:

1) Exotic CV to boast about on the club site when he is unveiled
    2) Recent PL experience
    3) Record of challenging near the top
    4) Nice bloke, so likely to not clash with Sully

But my worry is that his recent career has taken a slump. He's basically semi retired by going to China. Is he still motivated to make a difference at a club like ours?
  • If he wasn’t motivated he wouldn’t be coming. The PL isn’t a place for the faint-hearted, and our fans are hardly the most patient.
  • Has he been anywhere recently without a ton of cash and done well? Genuine question

Benitez has proved himself on a modest budget and big budgets. Liverpudlians speak super highly of him and supposedly a lovely guy. Would get my vote
  • edited May 2018
    Lukerz, I think we have to judge him on his own merits, rather than 'my enemy's friend is my enemy' kind of thing.

Just because he 'fits the profile Sully likes' doesn't necessarily mean he will be a bad choice.
  • I’m not sure how that does fit the Sully profile, anyway. Not one of their other managerial appointments fits that list.

I’d say it’s a big departure from their usual hires, to be honest.
  • He did well at Villarreal and Malaga got them both into Europe he has won trophies in four different leagues
  • Wenger came from Japan so gave up before he started. ;biggrin
  • Lukerz said:

Pellegrini ;hmm

My worry is that he fits the profile Sully likes:

1) Exotic CV to boast about on the club site when he is unveiled
    2) Recent PL experience
    3) Record of challenging near the top
    4) Nice bloke, so likely to not clash with Sully

But my worry is that his recent career has taken a slump. He's basically semi retired by going to China. Is he still motivated to make a difference at a club like ours?

Loving the nice bloke

Yeah his a nice bloke,,, pants at his job, nice bloke,,,,, ;hmm no way
  • If he wasn’t motivated he wouldn’t be coming. The PL isn’t a place for the faint-hearted, and our fans are hardly the most patient.

Question was more whether he'd be a Pellegrini jaded after MCFC+China (with inflated fiances) as compared to the Pellegrini which was in charge of Malaga/Villarreal and had something to prove, etc. Nothing against him and I'd be excited to have him join as i've always been a fan of his but just querying how he would fit in and how he fits in with the other issue at the club.
  • He did well at Villarreal and Malaga got them both into Europe he has won trophies in four different leagues

Let's not forget the 2 Dave's first appointment. The great Avram Grant who steered Chelsea to the Champions League and League Cup finals and then promptly relegated Portsmouth and West Ham.
This discussion has been closed.