The new manager hunt (was the Moyes thread) only 3 days to wait...

Comments

• edited May 2018
    re Pellegrini

The Sun https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/6291447/west-ham-not-follow-interest-manuel-pellegrini-david-moyes-leave/ said yesterday that we wouldn't be following up with Pellegrini as (in their version) he's too old.
  • Wouldn't they have known he was too old before they spoke to his reps or was that one of their questions.
  • Wouldn't they have known he was too old before they spoke to his reps or was that one of their questions.

David-Sullivan-Football365

I wouldn't be so sure
  • That's the problem when the fans protest in the way they did. Sullivan will now believe that by letting Moyes go and go for a name that he thinks is a top manager it's what the fans want.
    I think Moyes had us moving in the right direction but fear now that this summer is going to be a disaster and we will end up with number 20 on their list or will give the job to the only applicant willing to work with them.

When did the fans protest to remove Moyes?

There have been polls yes, some pushed by the board and others by large forums.

Personally I think Moyes has played a part in not taking it any further, he’s seen what they can be like and doesn’t like what he sees, but it could’ve been mutual
  • IronHerb said:

If the board wanted Moyes they would have made him the offer but they started talking to other managers which undermined his position. He had to walk away imo.

This is exactly how I see it and ultimately why I just don’t rate our owners or trust them to get anything right
  • Slav I didn't say they protested about Moyes but knowing the way Sully works he wouldn't have thought the protests were anything to do with him.
  • Just because Moyes has walked away doesnt mean he cant walk back under new terms acceptable to both parties in time..
  • IronHerb said:

If the board wanted Moyes they would have made him the offer but they started talking to other managers which undermined his position. He had to walk away imo.

Undermined his position of not being our manager? Didn’t David Moyes say his contract finished on Sunday/Monday?
  • Let's wait to see who our new manager turns out to be...
    I'm still relieved Moyes has gone, however he left .
    It's a time to think positive rather than look back IMO
  • edited May 2018
    Well, for someone who is often critical of our owners, I am going to applaud this call with cautious optimism.

They appear to have accepted that he was brought in as an emergency appointment, where due diligence by us wasn't taken because we needed somebody to replace Bilic who was available to start asap. They have not been swayed by a few good results at the end of the season against sides with nothing to play for. They obviously feel Moyes is not the right fit for WHU.

It is one of their first brave calls, however, I think of all the criticism of the owners, managerial appointments is not one I would say they get wrong. Since the disaster of Grant, they have appointed Sam, Bilic and Moyes, and all in their own rights have brought the club huge success. None of them have seen us relegated, all were correct appointments 'at the time' and all were relative successes. Sam rescued us from two years of failure, and gained instant promotion. Bilic gave us one of the most magical seasons in our recent history, yet they were correct to replace him when the time was right, and replaced him with somebody who kept us up with a top 10 points haul/to games played.

This is a chance to start afresh. All the criticisms I have laid at their door; investment, decisiveness, short-termism; they now have a chance to put down a marker. They have not accepted second best, and taken Moyes because it's sensible. They have accepted he isn't right, and they have taken the risk in finding somebody who is. Hopefully it is a risk that will pay off. The correct appointment, good investment and a positive future.

Thank you for your efforts David. You used us and we used you. I don't think it was meant to be anything more than a fling. He did a good job, with some lows as well as highs, but this is the time to find the right fit for the club, not somebody who is the right fit for the circumstances.
  • Slav I didn't say they protested about Moyes but knowing the way Sully works he wouldn't have thought the protests were anything to do with him.

Maybe but I doubt it, based on the messages after, calling for unity, meeting with various groups, he’d have to be pretty nieve to think it wasn’t about the board, plus all the banners, there was nothing about Moyes
  • Adam said:

IronHerb said:

Undermined his position of not being our manager? Didn’t David Moyes say his contract finished on Sunday/Monday?
    They had a week after Leicester to sign him but they didn't. He was in situ so in my book undermined.
  • Slav, the board yes but him personally I doubt ;biggrin
  • What will happen if this new manager doesn't do any good? Will the fans start on him, too?
  • I'd rather have kept Moyes for a little stability, but this is West Ham ;doh
  • deehammer said:

What will happen if this new manager doesn't do any good? Will the fans start on him, too?

Do you need to ask?
  • edited May 2018

I'd rather have kept Moyes for a little stability, but this is West Ham ;doh

Who needs stability when you can have excitement
    ;whistle
  • Luke you’ll be asking for a mod to delete that when Steve Bruce is announced in 7-10

;biggrin

No seriously you could be right, the penny may of dropped and this could be a pivotal moment, let’s hope so
  • deehammer said:

What will happen if this new manager doesn't do any good? Will the fans start on him, too?

Yep some will for sure, just like they did with Roeder, Pardew, Curbs, Avram, Sam, Bilic and now Moyes ......
  • As is their right.
  • edited May 2018
    FWIW, Ex has said that Fonseca won't be joining as there are concerns over his English and he hasn't proved himself enough as a manager.

Benitez is apparently our No1 target but will cost us between £7m-£8m in wages.

Pellegrini is his back up, but again he may cost too much given his salary in China.

Interestingly, he did say there was a split in the boardroom, firstly over Moyes (Gold wanted to keep him, Sullivan didn't and Brady flip-flopped between the two) and secondly over potentially employing Fonseca or Emery because of their limited grasp of English.

I guess all will become clear in 10 days time...
  • McLaren not took qpr job yet careful what you wish for lol
  • I wonder what Fonsecu's Ukrainian and Pellegrini's Chinese is like? ;whistle
  • Pellegrines Italian isn’t that good lol
  • Why should Karren Brady get a say on who the next manager will be? I think she has enough on her plate with all the off the field stuff she has or hasn't done.
  • Poch’s English was very limited when he arrived at Southampton - didn’t seem to get in the way of his success there and beyond
  • Why should Karren Brady get a say on who the next manager will be?

She's a member of the board.

• edited May 2018
    The cynics among us could speculate that Sully will claim Fonseca is too inexperienced, that Emery can't speak enough English, that Benitez and Pellegrini asked for too much money. The 'Big Name' he wanted was impossible to get.

If the reasons for the board's doubts about these 'high-calibre' managers are true, then reading between the lines they want an experienced, low-salaried British manager who is ideally not contracted to someone else.

;hmm

8543e8eb63b7-football365-com
  • Brady shouldn’t be trusted with the colour scheme of the stadium seats let alone have a say about the new manager vile woman
  • Poch’s English was very limited when he arrived at Southampton - didn’t seem to get in the way of his success there and beyond

Not as limited as it seems. He spoke English with the players/within the club - but used a translator for 'public' speaking with the press.

A condition of his getting the job at Spurs was that he had to do it all in English.
This discussion has been closed.