The new manager hunt (was the Moyes thread) only 3 days to wait...

Comments

• Outcast, ideally I would love to see how Carroll and Hernandez would do. I think Hernandez would thrive off Carrolls lay offs and knock downs in the box, a bit like Carroll and Nolan in their heyday. Thing is, I think Arnie and Lanzini are automatic starters when fit, and Moyes won`t play all four (unless a goal down to Stoke at home in a must not lose game). Shame, as all four are very talented and it`s rare for West Ham to be able to call on such attacking talent. Goals win games. Come on Moyes, surprise us.
  • I was all for Moyes two year now not so sure it’s the way he doesn’t change things till it’s to late for me don’t think we played badly but to hear him say we love played well winds me up I’d say sound out who’s available then decide because as people have already said we could be in another battle next season
  • I would like to see:

...............................New GK............................
    ..............Rice...........Oggy.........Reid................
    Antonio..........New Mid....New Mid.....Masuaku
    .............................Lanzini...............................
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Arnie............Hernandez..............

This leaves out Noble, Kouyate, Obiang, Fernandes and Mario. All would be "good enough" as possibly one of the two, or in the match day squad. But I think the midfield is our weakest area, teams have walked through us the last two seasons, and I know it`s easy to point the finger at the defence and goalie, but I honestly think it`s the midfield where we really fail. Two top notch centre midfielders and the whole team will tick. I`m also hoping Carroll stays fit for the season, and one or two more youngsters push for first team places. ;wahoo

Agreed. Although I'd add another RCB (who can play RWB if necessary) to that list. Possibly even another LCB who can play LWB if necessary too.
  • Bit of a cross from the match thread and this one, but how did Moyes set us up to play for the draw when we had 3 goals disallowed.
    Not much he can do about players being offside etc but we put the ball in the net 4 times.
  • To say for Arnie to score balls into the box have to be perfect is wrong imo. Most of his goals have come from his being able to make something out of a half chance. Last night he couldn't do it but I don't think Chico would have done any better with the chances we did create last night.
  • Madcap, you say " I'm also hoping Carroll stays fit for the season "
    I don't think he has stayed fit for a season at any club.
    Newcastle got rid of him when Liverpool bought him, what they thought was
    a bargain buy, and then we did just the same when Liverpool decided to
    cut there losses, and just like Liverpool we made the same mistake.
    Don't get me wrong, Carroll is a beast of a player, when he is fit, and there
    lies the problem. Taking in all the games since we bought him, I hate to think how much per game it has cost us.
  • To say for Arnie to score balls into the box have to be perfect is wrong imo. Most of his goals have come from his being able to make something out of a half chance. Last night he couldn't do it but I don't think Chico would have done any better with the chances we did create last night.

Not every time but yesterday it wasn't working. It wasn't about Hernandez or Arnie but having more than one option to aim for. As Cresswell sends it in, Arnie has two players watching his run, which creates the space for AC to get the volley in. If Moyes makes that decision earlier, perhaps we could've converted some of that pressure we'd built into a goal before going behind. We can't know that's the case but we do know nothing was changing until we had more players on and Arnie wasn't left to do it all.
  • Hammerex, I`m more living in hope. If there are footballing Gods, I hope they`re looking down and thinking "That boys got talent, he works hard, he seems a nice ordinary lad, likes a bit of a party (but who doesn`t ;champagne ) let`s give him one injury free season, just to see what he can really do"......... you never know. ;footie
  • Hopefully, I agree with that Madcap, and then sell him A.S.A.P.
  • I'm hoping by hook or crook we are in the PL next season, do I think Moyes should stay if we do survive , for me it's a big ;wave & ;clap but that's it's for me.
  • edited April 2018
    I'm strongly resistant to managerial change for the sake of it, and I think getting shot of Moyes would be a big mistake.

I think with a pre-season to sort us out and a few choice signings, he would move us on from where we were this year.

Separately, I think it is a poor time to change managers, given that it is a World Cup year, and the summer window closes earlier than previously.

If we struggled to get a new guy in (and that is entirely possible), then there would be a good chance we would miss out on key signings.

If we ship managers every time we think we haven't had a brilliant season, or because the football they play isn't 'sexy' enough, we will be changing every one or two years, at a minimum, imo, and that can't be any good for the long term stability of the team.

Can we do better than Moyes? Maybe, if the imagined candidates were actually available.

Could we do worse? Definitely, imo.
  • Although i’m not sure about Moyes I think he should be given another season at least with a chance to bring in new players in the summer.
  • Just my opinion but any manager who may potentially leave us with a sub 40 points total littered with quite a few indifferent displays and a win percentage in the 20s should not be a shoe in to be kept on. I’d prefer there to be proper assessment of who else is around at the very least.
  • Barracks you could be describing bilic last season
  • Yea and he got sacked

Honestly im not confident with my knowledge of managers outside of the premier league

However i fail to believe their is no one...even if it is a risk

Moyes is a safe choice i guess....but im not a huge fan from what ive seen so far

But i wouldnt riot if he got a contract
  • If it comes down to a choice between keeping Mr Moyes or Javier I know who I would want to stay. ;wink

Danny Gabbidon said on the radio this morning he believes we (the fans) want a more expansive style of football that our current manager won't give us, so he expects him to be gone in the summer.
  • For me, a 'risky' appointment would only be worth a go from a position of strength. If we had a couple or 3 seasons around 10th, with a fairly settled squad, and thought a change might work, fair enough. But I don't think a gamble now would make sense.

Imo, what we desperately need is a period of stability, and I think Moyes would provide that, at the very least. (i think he would do quite a bit better, tbh.)

• Danny Gabbidon said on the radio this morning he believes we (the fans) want a more expansive style of football that our current manager won't give us, so he expects him to be gone in the summer.

Does he make this prediction on the basis that Moyes won't sign on to play expansive football? Or that the Board will only appoint a manager that will play expansive football? Or some other basis?

tbh, I can't think that what 'the fans' (whoever they might be .. the 'real ones' perhaps ;wink ) want will influence the decisions made at the highest level.

I like Danny Gabbidon, but it's a bit of a nonsense statement. As if all fans of every club wouldn't want to see their team play expansive football.
  • edited April 2018
    Moyes' record so far:

Wins:
    West Ham 1-0 Chelsea
    Stoke 0-3 West Ham
    West Ham 2-1 WBA
    Huddersfield 1-4 West Ham
    West Ham 2-0 Watford
    West Ham 3-0 Southampton

Draws:
    West Ham 1-1 Leicester
    West Ham 0-0 Arsenal
    Bournemouth 3-3 West Ham
    Spurs 1-1 West Ham
    West Ham 1-1 Bournemouth
    West Ham 1-1 Crystal Palace
    Chelsea 1-1 West Ham
    West Ham 1-1 Stoke

Defeats:
    Watford 2-0 West Ham
    Everton 4-0 West Ham
    Man City 2-1 West Ham
    West Ham 2-3 Newcastle
    Brighton 3-1 West Ham
    Liverpool 4-1 West Ham
    Swansea 4-1 West Ham
    West Ham 0-3 Burnley

26 points from 22 games. GD of -6. 30 goals scored.

Just to put that into perspective, after 22 games this season Watford were sat in 10th place in the league on 25 points, with Everton in 9th on 27 points. So that's a points to games ratio which would put you around 10th (this season, anyway).

What I would say is when we lose, we tend to LOSE. In all 8 defeats under Moyes we have conceded at least 2 goals in every one, and lost four of those matches by at least a 3 goal margin. We do tend to be strong at home, with only two home defeats. Also, of our 6 victories, 3 were against the current bottom three.
  • Mrs G,

In general fans are happy with winning football which you do by scoring more goals than the opposition quite a few people are criticising David Moyes for not putting a team out last night to win the match by playing two strikers, something he has not done alot of this season. ;ok
  • I don't think not playing 2 strikers means you aren't trying to win the match.

So I don't accept the premise of the criticism.
  • Mrs G,

Best find them and have it out with them then. ;whistle
  • Can I not just ignore them?
  • Not playing 2 strikers is negative to me

And if you are gonna go with 1 up too you have to support them with attacking player

While Mario and Fernandes are good players they arent really attacking midfielders

Away from home fair enough but not at Home
  • Guardiola only plays one striker at home. As does Mourinho. And Conte. And Pochettino. And Wenger. And pretty much everybody else.
  • Big sam played none at spurs and what a result that turned out to be, just saying
  • But we play a converted midfielder.
  • edited April 2018
    That's a separate issue.

I'm pretty sure WHU_Champo et al are taking issue with how many people we play as strikers.
  • If Mario isn't an attacking MF then I don't understand the definition.

This is Mario's touch map from the game:

Capture

• Is that one of those say what you see pictures that therapists use? I see a starfish fighting a bunny rabbit. ;hmm
This discussion has been closed.