The new manager hunt (was the Moyes thread) only 3 days to wait...

Comments

• Guardiola only plays one striker at home. As does Mourinho. And Conte. And Pochettino. And Wenger. And pretty much everybody else.

If you read my post i regard you have to support trm with enough attacking players

Chelsea attack with a front 3, all of whom are attacking players...hazard Morata Willian

Tottenham attack with a front 4, Kane, Erikson, Son and Alli

Mourinho is being slated depsite finishing 2nd because of the lack of creative flair

Arsenal attack with a front 3 at minimum

Guardiola has a front 3 plus the best midfield in the league

Also the comparison is a moot point as unlike those teams we cannot affort the quality that they can. Also those teams usually make proactive subs when the are in need of a poiny

Grey my point was misinterpreted
    Yes Mario play in an advance position as he was supposed to do in this team, but he isnt an attacking player by design, more of a CM that has been asked to play there. Even at Sporting inter (and for portugal) etc his goalscoring is poor for an "attacking player"

If we had Antonio or Lanzini supporting Arnie I wouldnt mind but it was Mario and Fernandes (who 100% is a natural CM)

Also if you read my comments i also said that Javier didnt have to start but the lack of proactivity has annoyed me
  • edited April 2018
    It seems to me, Moyes had a gameplan which was working. We dominated possession and attacking areas, had many chances to score. We scored 2 of them (subsequently disallowed).

I do get that you are talking about changing the formation and making subs, to score goals.

I can see why it might be thought wise NOT to change the formation .. it weren't broke so (arguably) didn't need fixing.

(Not saying I agree or disagree with his choices, just that I can see very good reasons why he made the decisions he did. I think to ignore the potential risk from making the changes so many are arguing in favour of is not arguing fairly.)

• I can understand his reasons as well, I get the idea that he thought we were doing well enough

I just do not agree with them because personally I felt the performance was ok but we were lacking and given the team we were playing against I wasn't a fan

Would be surprised if we leave it right up untill June for a decision to be made as scouting and transfers will be underway then, you'd imagine the board will have made up their mind as there is no point buying players for a manager that isn't going to be there.

Whether it's Moyes or not, hope the decision is swift as pre season needs to be better than last years especially as the window closes before the first game
  • If we are getting a director of football we need to get them in sharpish aswell I don't think we can afford another poor transfer window
  • A big factor (imo) that we ought to remember is that we had to play the first 3 games of the season away, suffering 2 heavy defeats conceding 10 goals and scoring 2. Can't have done our confidence much good.
  • We need a director of football, someone who can get some decent players in. Moyes game plan was going ok, we just lacked that finishing touch.
  • The finishing touch was sitting on the bench.
  • And then he came on and scored the equaliser....
  • If I squint my eyes I can see a star on the left and an elephant standing up on its back legs ;hmm ;puzzled

#Nurse
  • Put that drink down.
  • According to the opening of a Times article:
    West Ham United have abandoned plans to appoint a director of football with the club willing to back David Moyes’ judgment in the transfer market as they prepare to appoint him as manager on a permanent contract.
    Can't see the full article as I don't have a registration/subscription.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/david-moyes-gains-control-of-transfer-deals-at-west-ham-dl6wn260z
  • As long as DS steps back, that's OK by me.

• "During those discussions Moyes has made it clear that he would prefer to work without a director of football and take personal charge of the club’s transfer activity if he stays on, which was how he operated successfully at Everton, where Henry was employed as chief scout.

Moyes took a hands-on approach during the January transfer window, with their only permanent signing, Jordan Hugill, arriving on his recommendation from Preston North End. Moyes has since been allowed to appoint five scouts as part of an overhaul of the recruitment department."

Don't worry, I don't pay for the subscription.
  • edited April 2018
    Looks like he's staying then..... ;hmm
  • http://www.football365.com/news/f365-says-west-ham-david-moyes-and-another-year-zero

Not sure about this no director of football I was OK with Moyes when I thought we were appointing one but now I am not too sure with his recent transfer dealings
  • I'm concerned about this news, tbh. Moyes recruitment record in January, with Sunderland and with ManUtd has not been overly impressive, imo.
  • I agree

Let’s see if all the talk about a complete overhaul of recruitment turns out to be bluster

Or whether we continue with poor signings whether it be the choice of the manager or the owners not willing to pay prices for better players

I’m not filled with any sort of optimism if I’m honest
  • Not sure if a director of football is a good or bad thing, but if Moyes is staying, and Moyes doesn`t want to work alongside a director of football, then appointing one would make no sense. I would be more than happy to trust Moyes in the transfer market GIVEN ADEQUATE FUNDS, although the Hugill signing is a bit of a mystery. I`m sure that any initial excitement, confidence and enthusiasm Hugill may have had, which could have bolstered his early performances, will now be a little dampened. Possibly worth starting him at Arsenal and telling him to make an absolute pest out of himself for 60 minutes and leave absolutely everything on the pitch. Might soften up the Arsenal back line. I used to play centre back or left back, but remember playing centre forward a couple of times when we were short and was told to clatter and batter `em (6ft 5" and 16 stone+) for as long as my legs held up. A sort of unsophisticated Andy Carroll. ;footie
  • Forgive me from being a pessimist but I dont trust Sully to stay out of things without a DOF at least nominally in place. Again, the club's stated policy made only a few weeks ago now seems to have changed. Sully will always have the ultimate say in any case, as he will control the purse strings. If people come in with 25m bids for Lanzini or Arnie, I actually think we would sell.
    This summer will be a key test to see if things have really changed IMO, in terms of net transfer spend, and quality of targets. We still need a defensive mid, probably a RB and a GK whether JH stays or not.
    I'm not holding my breath and am reserving judgement, considering we have Hugill on the books for some reason or another, who was apparently a Moyes buy..... ;hmm
  • Shambles.

We had the chance in our final season at the Boleyn and we are just slowly regressing.

• If people come in with 25m bids for Lanzini or Arnie, I actually think we would sell.

Why do you think that? We’re not known for being a selling club anymore (compared to 15-20 years ago). Payet was obviously an exceptional circumstance.
  • Adam said:

If people come in with 25m bids for Lanzini or Arnie, I actually think we would sell.

Why do you think that? We’re not known for being a selling club anymore (compared to 15-20 years ago). Payet was obviously an exceptional circumstance.
    Because Lanzini and Arnie would perfectly fit into the 'exceptional circumstances' this year. We've not been a selling club primarily because we've had a majority of journeyman players who would struggle in the top clubs. We sold nearly all of our signings from 2 years ago. I worry about somebody coming in with a lump of money for Declan as well.
  • We bought Arnie for £25m so to sell him at the same price would be exceptional, for the purchaser.
  • It looks to me as if DM is asking for enough rope to hang himself, I am firmly in the camp that we need an experienced director of football, someone separated from the owners who can work hand in hand with the manager overseeing recruitment, team morale and youth development.

DM seems to have a very high opinion of his abilities and I am fearful that this trait may end up being his undoing, which of course means that we may have a rocky road in front of us.

I hope I am wrong, and I still have a sizable humble pie in the pantry.

COYI
  • I've never been a fan of directors of football mainly because I have no idea what they do. When you consider David Pleat was one it begs the question that if this is the level you expect why would you bother.
    If the manager has the final say and you have decent scouts looking for players that should be enough.
    The two D's would decide how much they're prepared to pay in fees and salary.
  • It seems to me Mr. Sullivan wants to squeeze every last penny out of the deal. Daniel Levy is probably the same. The difference is Levy is a master at it and unfortunately Sully isn't.
  • Forgive me from being a pessimist but I dont trust Sully to stay out of things without a DOF at least nominally in place. Again, the club's stated policy made only a few weeks ago now seems to have changed. Sully will always have the ultimate say in any case, as he will control the purse strings. If people come in with 25m bids for Lanzini or Arnie, I actually think we would sell.
    This summer will be a key test to see if things have really changed IMO, in terms of net transfer spend, and quality of targets. We still need a defensive mid, probably a RB and a GK whether JH stays or not.
    I'm not holding my breath and am reserving judgement, considering we have Hugill on the books for some reason or another, who was apparently a Moyes buy..... ;hmm

BBB,
    Even with a DOF I can’t for the life of me see Sullivan staying out and keeping quiet, although I/we dearly wish he would do just that and that son of his, if indeed it is actually his Twitter Account he spouts his nonsense from.
  • C and h saying West Ham was never going to appoint a d of f and the original story in the standard was wrong , sully just said he was stepping back and manager would nt sign a player without seeing them first all very strange
  • edited April 2018
    From the minutes of the March SAB meeting

"KB confirmed the Club has addressed some of the concerns that have been raised by supporters, including the appointment this summer of a Director of Football to handle the transfer policy and resolving some of the issues around the look and feel of the stadium, which has started now and will continue through to next season."

https://www.whufc.com/sites/default/files/inline-files/Emergency SAB minutes 260318_6.pdf
This discussion has been closed.