Slaven Bilic named as West Ham Manager (09.06.15)

Comments

• London Club
    Top 20 in terms of revenue
    60,000 seater stadium
    How hard can it be
  • If Watford and Huddersfield can manage it...
  • edited November 2017
    Sweepy , all that is true and pre-season makes us a good 'project' and an attractive job. However right now we are mid season and potential relegation candidates and that changes things drastically, with players who aren't looking good. Managers fear their reputation being damaged (look at what happened with Koeman) and wouldn't want to touch us at this moment in time when we are in this situation.
  • So that just leaves “you know who”....
  • But the thing is, if you're out of work as a manager, you rarely get to take a job with a club in great shape, on and off the pitch. Otherwise, why would that club even be looking for a new manager?

I'm sure somebody like Koeman would look at our potential rather than our current form, and believe in himself to improve us.
  • So that just leaves “you know who”....

He's got Twist's backing, so that's good enough for me...
  • Jorderz fair enough if that's what you believe ;ok
    (And thanks for answering the question).

Personally I don't think he would join us. We are looking pretty awful at the moment and I think he would see us as too big a risk.
  • Please not moyes and/or Neville.

I'd rather our chairmen left first and then Bilic tbh
  • For me, the only reasons Bilic did well his first season was that he had the defensive base already in place from BFS, plus Payet. Once he had a chance to change the mentality of the players to his tactics and lost Payet we have seen the true Bilic team and tactics, which has been poor to say the least.
  • sweepy23 said:

London Club
    Top 20 in terms of revenue
    60,000 seater stadium
    How hard can it be

You forgot 'owners trying to do everything on the cheap'
  • There could be a few International managers available after the 14th of November so
    we might be able to attract one of those say Martin O'Neill or Michael O'Neill if they fail to qualify or even Chris Coleman as Wales aren't going to Russia?

How long did it take Sunderland to sack Simon Grayson during the week? i believe it was reported to be 5 minutes!

We desperately need to do something soon. It appears the Spurs win has just delayed his departure?

The next six games don't look too clever do they?
  • The first eleven weren't too clever either were they.
  • Probably needs to go, hate to say it because really wanted him to be a success, walk away Slav, thanks for the last season at the Boleyn where everyone was on your side

No need for abuse to a man who has acted with the utmost class. Shame to see some of our fans go that way but that’s football for ya

Totally agree Slizz.
  • I don't believe that any decent manager would view us as "a poisoned chalice" etc. We have played 11 games with 27 to go so if a potential manager wouldn't want to come for fear of his reputation being sullied (when we are relegated) he hasn't much confidence in his own abilities and I wouldn't want to see him here.
    I'm with Sweepy in his assessment of our attributes as seen by a potential manager.

What we cannot do is the same thing game after game (continue with Slav) hoping for a different outcome. That way madness lies.
  • Jinxed on KUMB says Dyche is the main target. ;hmm
  • I think it's Florin who's said he'd like to see Bielsa at West Ham - if I remember right we interviewed him and he turned us down before we appointed Bilic, but he told the co-owners that if he could sign one player it would be Payet...

Maybe he's too keen to stay at Lille to prove a point, but I hadn't realised what a state they were in right now. Could "the best coach in the world" (according to Pochettino and Guardiola) be tempted to our tinpot but rather interesting outfit? I'd love to see him here too.

I saw a rumour a few weeks back that we were interested in Julian Nagelsmann, and after being named Germany's coach of last season at 29, I'd love that to work out, but would imagine he'd rather wait for a bigger club in case it all goes wrong at West Ham.

Failing those two, how about Curbs? Or Curbs and Harry together?

I'd rather them than Moyes. And if we get Dyche I'll just be shouting - clear your throat mate during every presser and interview. Which is my way of avoiding a judgement on whether he's good enough - I'm actually leaning towards it being too early in the season to pronounce him a coaching genius.
  • If so, I actually think the Dave’s want us to get relegated so they are not put under pressure by fans to spend money in the transfer market

Really?

Relax I have just worked it out......... who makes us least likely to get relegated ? big Sam, but as the fans would see it as a backward step the board need soften them up so have created a story of Moyes, then upped it another level by including Neville to make us actually happy we get Sam.

We are falling for their master plan.

You may be happy, I wouldn't be.
  • Bielsa can't speak a word of English so im not sure he'd be a good fit.

Nagelsmann wouldn't join us IMO

I think the sort of names we'd be interested in is Dyche, Pardew... Names like that.
  • Please not Pardew. Can't stand him and his conduct - after Bilic it would be going from one extreme to the other. Not to mention how he failed to play Tevez and Mascherano more often...

I don't think Bielsa's not speaking English should be a problem. Especially if he had a no. 2 who could speak English. Might work wonders for Lanzini too.
  • I would love Bielsa. But he’s high risk and I don’t think the Daves would go there.
  • If so, I actually think the Dave’s want us to get relegated so they are not put under pressure by fans to spend money in the transfer market

?

That would be their worst scenario, they’d have to put in twice what they did before and wouldn’t be seeing any of it back (interest or not) for quite some time. Also the FL have tighter controls now on FFP, Gold admitted last time that they got out of the Championship in the nick of time before the new rules.
  • On Bielsa's English, actually the majority of the players around the matchday squad speak or understand Spanish or French (Adrian, Zaba, Masuaku, Obiang, Lanzini, Kouyate, Sakho, Fernandes, Martinez, Ayew was at Marseille..., Fonte almost certainly understands Spanish, Ogbonna may understand quite a bit...). So some people might prefer to have an English core to the club, but I suspect it would be perfectly manageable to get a coach in that spoke Spanish and French and would probably learn English in a season or two.

But yes, may be considered too high risk by the Daves - though they must have been into him before Bilic. However, I hope they won't look at the situation we're in and say we need to shore up the defence and survive. We need to shore up the defence and play somewhere close to the potential of the squad, which is capable of playing some attractive football (as we glimpsed even today in part of the second half).
  • Rumours that Everton are in talks with Dyche - which would he see as better option for him, if we did go in for him too? I suspect Everton.
  • Moyes absolutely no ;doh
    Neville, completely and categorically no ;doh ;doh ;doh
  • Dyche and Pardew the names doing the rounds on KUMB ;hmm
  • Sorry, but Dyce no. Pardew? Maybe for me
  • edited November 2017
    Put Slav out of his misery, it's getting embarassing now.

Every second game or every game, maybe, he's under threat.

Moyes a few years ago yes, now no

Love to see Chris Hughton arrive.

Will it happen, No.
  • 1) I have consistently stated that I wanted Bielsa (everyone is a risk in their own way. Who'd heard of Silva before he went to Hull?)

2) BFS would no way come back to us just to take abuse

3) I never wanted Bilic as manager (that doesnt mean I dont like him as a person) but I swear if we appoint Moyes/Neville I will quit supporting West Ham (and have the easy life supporting Man City and Liverpool on any given week)

4) I mean it ;angry

p.s I voted for Bilic to be sacked. However, if the alternative is Moyes, I'd vote differently
  • I'm going to get my hard hat & hide behind the sofa but for me it's get rid of him & get Allardyce back to keep us up. Before you all slate me,with Kevin Nolan as his number two to be groomed for the main job. Nolan is doing a great job at Notts County & should at least be earmarked as a future manager. It's 3.30 am in Madrid & I've had a few so please don't slaughter me over this post-we're all West Ham & COYI!!!
  • Whenever there is a defeat emotions can run high so its best to just reassess in the cold light of day. I make no apology for being one of Slaven biggest fans, in many ways I think he is a very good fit for us and represents alot of what WHU used to be about that is sadly lacking these days under G+S. However things have undeniably been challenging the last 12-18 months which does take an accumulative toll but within that are clear mitigating reasons and I believe over time people will perhaps judge last season in a better light because it was an extremely challenging for the club.

Theres no point me coming on here saying everything is rosy at the minute and there aren't any issues because its quite evident, in various ways, that we are in a difficult spell and there are contributing factors involved which haven't helped, in particular the perpetual external pressure on the manager over a sustained time period and the attitude of a certain section of fans that have created a somewhat toxic atmosphere at the OS (not on here btw). But that is football, everyone has their good and bad moments; its not always the case though for sacking a manager, better to be more trusting than too judgemental.

From my perspective the issues surrounding Slaven/ a new manager can be broken down in a couple of ways:-

a) IF petrified by relegation/doomsday scenario; then there's an argument for a survival at all costs/ batten down the hatches approach; which would have clear long/medium term ramifications but it would somewhat also strangely celebrate an "achievement" Slaven is perfectly capable of doing as demonstrated last season; so it seems rather strange or desperate to bring in anyone of the calibre linked (pards, Moyes, BFS) as some kind of magic panacea because we are experiencing a tricky spell. We could bring in Moyes (or whoever) and they may very well keep us up but that isnt necessarily an argument for replacing Bilic.

b) IF concerned but a bit more rational then you give Slaven more time as he has shown his ability to keep us up which should mediate some things; We are a mid table club, we are one result away from midtable and the chasing pack. It has been a poor start but theres a number of others that have also had a poor start and by no means are we cut adrift; in fact, with a couple of decent results we would be right in amongst the rest of "the other league"-( outside the top 6). We can still go onto have a good season, for which at the end of it the club could then decide what to do going forward.

c) Theres very few available/realistic managers out there that could be objectively argued to be definitively a better option than Bilic. There's plenty of names, some that are impressive in some ways but very few that are a discernible improvement on Bilic and can address the wider issues at the club. Koeman is the only feasible name to come into that equation, with a strong c.v and identity he would make a difference. Yes he had a bad start this season but during his time in England he has finished 7th/6th/7th and could get us back on track over a multi season time frame.

I personally dont take too much from the liverpool game as some kind of nail in the coffin judgement on Slavens future, no one expected us to get anything from the game and for me it only reinforces the reestablishment of the monopoly of the traditional "top 6" in a way we havent seen in a a number of seasons. I'd like to see things cleared up so that Slaven knows the situation, instead of constant Chinese whispers whenever we get a good or a bad result because it does no one any favours. I believe he has enough collateral in the bank to justify being given a few more games to rectify things; Watford, Leicester and Everton are the next 3 and would be better to judge him on as to his viability to lead us over the next few important months of the fixture list.
This discussion has been closed.