Slaven Bilic named as West Ham Manager (09.06.15)

Comments

• IronHerb said:

Do you know that they have set him any?

Nope, not at all. Purely guessing ;lol
  • edited October 2017
    I feel like the club is sleepwalking towards relegation under Bilic at the min ;weep
  • edited October 2017
    Well, the Daves did say that it was vital we weren't relegated in our FIRST season at the London Stadium.............. ;hmm
  • And they wanted to get to the next level, didn’t say which way though did they?
  • It's worth remembering that after his first season there was a clamour for him to get a new contract but the Daves resisted saying he could be a one season wonder. Who has been right so far?
  • Pretty well sums up what a lot of us have been saying on here
  • The daves may well have (arguably) underwhelmed in the recent transfer window but even with the squad we now have there is no way on earth there should be clear air between us and the likes of Newcastle, Burnley, Watford etc at this stage of the season.
  • edited October 2017
    What a load of old tosh.

Seriously.

Just read it.

Edit, I've just seen that it has a guideline at the start of he page - '8 minute read'. ;lol

• ..even with the squad we now have there is no way on earth there should be clear air between us and the likes of Newcastle, Burnley, Watford etc at this stage of the season.

So would it be OK at other points in the season?
  • I think when you look at our squad on paper and the “names” you have to say we should be doing better, probably much better, but that isn’t the whole story here.

Slav has clearly made mistakes, honestly what Manager doesn’t? As I’ve always said if (when) they get rid of him, they get a bigger name in with a solid reputation, a Rafa, Mancini, Anchelloti etc then fine, but to out him and go for say a Dyche etc just doesn’t do it for me.

Don’t get me wrong Dyche has done very well at Burnley but there last 6 home games have been 1-0, it wasn’t that long ago many didn’t want that type of manager.
  • edited November 2017
    Hart
    Zabaleta - Reid - Ogbonna - Cresswell
    Obiang - Kouyate
    Ayew - Lanzini - Arnautovic
    Chicharito

Adrian, Fonte, Byram, Noble, Fernandes, Antonio, Carroll

I suppose the question is would a different manager get more out of that 18? That’s not to mention Collins, Masuaku, Rice, Sakho and the youngsters who haven’t made the 18, and Oxford and Snodgrass who are both out on loan.

I think the answer is; yes. I think Rafa would get more out of that side. I don’t think we’d be 16th with 9 points from 30 had Rafa been in charge since game 1. I think Dyche would get more out of that XI, results wise. It would be 4-4-1-1 and we’d win a lot of games 1-0/2-1 but we’d have more points. Then there’s the more ‘risky’ options, such as Howe, Silva, Wagner etc and I would guess we’d all be more optimistic had one of those been in charge since the first game.

There’s a lot said about manager stability, like it’s a crime and an outrage that you don’t ‘build’ with one manager. For me it’s a load of rubbish. What we need to build is a club. Plenty of businesses have several managers over the years, yet their growth often continues and the company is largely unaffected by managerial or employee change. Why should football be any different?

I think one-year rolling contracts are the way to go. You shouldn't be afraid to make change just because somebody has only been here 2.3 years. Or because you feel instability results in chaos. Watford have had a different manager every season since promotion, and the ones before. People may think of them as a laughing stock but look where they are now on much smaller resources, smaller ground, smaller history than us. Sitting high in the top 8.

I would love to give Bilic time. TBH I’d love to demote him to a coaching roll and bring in a new manager but obviously that is never going to happen. But after a while you have to hold your hands up and say “it isn’t working”, and make a change. It’s nobody’s fault. Sometimes like a relationship where the partners fall out of love. The manager nor the boards. But collectively they have to come together to find a different solution. It hasn’t ‘clicked’ for almost 18 months now. How many more months do you keep blind faith that it will click?

Changing the manager shouldn’t stunt West Ham’s growth. It should boost it. If the owners have done their jobs properly then everything should be in place (or being put in place) to mean that we can transition to a new man and not suffer dramatically. Watford are a prime example. Chelsea are another. Leicester are becoming one too. When somebody doesn’t meet the owners high standards for a relatively short period of time, the axe is wielded. People may laugh but the only clubs laughing are those three. Watford’s owners as they challenge the top 6, Leicesters after winning the league and Chelsea’s after lifting yet another trophy.
  • I know many people have answered the question I'm about to ask but in quite long-winded posts. So for that reason:

If you had to sum up very briefly what Bilic's need to do to turn round our season what would it be? Prioritise only one thing rather than a list of things.
  • MrsGrey said:

What a load of old tosh.

Seriously.

Just read it.

Edit, I've just seen that it has a guideline at the start of he page - '8 minute read'. ;lol

I did read it thank you very much hence why I posted it , any reason you think it is tosh or are people not allowed to post opinions anymore
  • I know many people have answered the question I'm about to ask but in quite long-winded posts. So for that reason:

If you had to sum up very briefly what Bilic's need to do to turn round our season what would it be? Prioritise only one thing rather than a list of things.

Pick a formation, stick with it and play players based on who would be best for that style / formation. Regardless of their name/fame/age
  • plf Feel free to post your opinions as long a I can post mine too. ;ok

Just about to start work, but I'm happy to list specific toshnesses later.

• edited November 2017
    100% spot on Luke

Jobs for the longer term over the years have become less the norm, and that’s not only in football.
  • Can we sack him at half time?
  • Nitric acid enema or bilic as manager

I'll go for the enema thanks
  • Probably needs to go, hate to say it because really wanted him to be a success, walk away Slav, thanks for the last season at the Boleyn where everyone was on your side

No need for abuse to a man who has acted with the utmost class. Shame to see some of our fans go that way but that’s football for ya
  • After saying I wouldn't,I've just voted in the poll on the other thread & with a heavy heart & a great deal of reluctance I've voted to sack him. We currently have the same amount of points after 11 matches that we had under Grant & at least he had the excuse of inheriting a poor squad. On paper we have some very good players & I reckon a change at the top might help us. Sorry Slav,I'll always have time for you because of that final season at the Boleyn but enough is enough.
  • He really does sound like a beaten man ,He might not wait, and walk instead ,feel bad for him .still love the guy but not as our manager .sad
  • edited November 2017
    I'd like Slav to walk just to have him not sign a confidentiality clause
    I'd buy the book...
  • Ex says if Slav does go it will only be a six-month contract appointment. Where is the money to pay for a decent manager to come in?
  • The Dave’s are behaving disgracefully. For a long time it is clear the role is beyond Slav. But they try to be be clever and talk of honouring contracts. Well, the Dave’s can proudly go ahead and do this, however they will be taking their sparkling athletics stadium straight into the championship with them.
  • So, since moving to the OS, batterings have included:

West Ham 2-4 Watford
    West Ham 0-3 Saints
    West Ham 1-5 Arsenal
    West Ham 0-5 Man City (FAC)
    West Ham 0-4 Man City
    West Ham 0-4 Liverpool
    West Ham 0-3 Brighton
    West Ham 1-4 Liverpool

32 goals conceded in those 8 games alone.

Wins at the OS:

West Ham 1-0 Bournemouth
    West Ham 1-0 Accrington Stanley (LC)
    West Ham 1-0 Sunderland
    West Ham 2-1 Chelsea (LC)
    West Ham 1-0 Burnley
    West Ham 1-0 Hull
    West Ham 3-0 Palace
    West Ham 1-0 Swansea
    West Ham 1-0 Spurs
    West Ham 2-0 Huddersfield
    West Ham 3-0 Bolton (LC)
    West Ham 1-0 Swansea

Two league wins by 2 or more goals, with all the rest by one goal.

Plus not to mention all the narrow home defeats (0-2 or less) and draws, as well as all the other away defeats. Just isn’t good enough.
  • Moyes and Phil Neville to West Ham for rest of season according to reports
  • ;weep Neville to ,could this get any worse
This discussion has been closed.