Slaven Bilic named as West Ham Manager (09.06.15)

Comments

• Bielsa can't speak a word of English so im not sure he'd be a good fit.

Nagelsmann wouldn't join us IMO

I think the sort of names we'd be interested in is Dyche, Pardew... Names like that.
  • Please not Pardew. Can't stand him and his conduct - after Bilic it would be going from one extreme to the other. Not to mention how he failed to play Tevez and Mascherano more often...

I don't think Bielsa's not speaking English should be a problem. Especially if he had a no. 2 who could speak English. Might work wonders for Lanzini too.
  • I would love Bielsa. But he’s high risk and I don’t think the Daves would go there.
  • If so, I actually think the Dave’s want us to get relegated so they are not put under pressure by fans to spend money in the transfer market

?

That would be their worst scenario, they’d have to put in twice what they did before and wouldn’t be seeing any of it back (interest or not) for quite some time. Also the FL have tighter controls now on FFP, Gold admitted last time that they got out of the Championship in the nick of time before the new rules.
  • On Bielsa's English, actually the majority of the players around the matchday squad speak or understand Spanish or French (Adrian, Zaba, Masuaku, Obiang, Lanzini, Kouyate, Sakho, Fernandes, Martinez, Ayew was at Marseille..., Fonte almost certainly understands Spanish, Ogbonna may understand quite a bit...). So some people might prefer to have an English core to the club, but I suspect it would be perfectly manageable to get a coach in that spoke Spanish and French and would probably learn English in a season or two.

But yes, may be considered too high risk by the Daves - though they must have been into him before Bilic. However, I hope they won't look at the situation we're in and say we need to shore up the defence and survive. We need to shore up the defence and play somewhere close to the potential of the squad, which is capable of playing some attractive football (as we glimpsed even today in part of the second half).
  • Rumours that Everton are in talks with Dyche - which would he see as better option for him, if we did go in for him too? I suspect Everton.
  • Moyes absolutely no ;doh
    Neville, completely and categorically no ;doh ;doh ;doh
  • Dyche and Pardew the names doing the rounds on KUMB ;hmm
  • Sorry, but Dyce no. Pardew? Maybe for me
  • edited November 2017
    Put Slav out of his misery, it's getting embarassing now.

Every second game or every game, maybe, he's under threat.

Moyes a few years ago yes, now no

Love to see Chris Hughton arrive.

Will it happen, No.
  • 1) I have consistently stated that I wanted Bielsa (everyone is a risk in their own way. Who'd heard of Silva before he went to Hull?)

2) BFS would no way come back to us just to take abuse

3) I never wanted Bilic as manager (that doesnt mean I dont like him as a person) but I swear if we appoint Moyes/Neville I will quit supporting West Ham (and have the easy life supporting Man City and Liverpool on any given week)

4) I mean it ;angry

p.s I voted for Bilic to be sacked. However, if the alternative is Moyes, I'd vote differently
  • I'm going to get my hard hat & hide behind the sofa but for me it's get rid of him & get Allardyce back to keep us up. Before you all slate me,with Kevin Nolan as his number two to be groomed for the main job. Nolan is doing a great job at Notts County & should at least be earmarked as a future manager. It's 3.30 am in Madrid & I've had a few so please don't slaughter me over this post-we're all West Ham & COYI!!!
  • Whenever there is a defeat emotions can run high so its best to just reassess in the cold light of day. I make no apology for being one of Slaven biggest fans, in many ways I think he is a very good fit for us and represents alot of what WHU used to be about that is sadly lacking these days under G+S. However things have undeniably been challenging the last 12-18 months which does take an accumulative toll but within that are clear mitigating reasons and I believe over time people will perhaps judge last season in a better light because it was an extremely challenging for the club.

Theres no point me coming on here saying everything is rosy at the minute and there aren't any issues because its quite evident, in various ways, that we are in a difficult spell and there are contributing factors involved which haven't helped, in particular the perpetual external pressure on the manager over a sustained time period and the attitude of a certain section of fans that have created a somewhat toxic atmosphere at the OS (not on here btw). But that is football, everyone has their good and bad moments; its not always the case though for sacking a manager, better to be more trusting than too judgemental.

From my perspective the issues surrounding Slaven/ a new manager can be broken down in a couple of ways:-

a) IF petrified by relegation/doomsday scenario; then there's an argument for a survival at all costs/ batten down the hatches approach; which would have clear long/medium term ramifications but it would somewhat also strangely celebrate an "achievement" Slaven is perfectly capable of doing as demonstrated last season; so it seems rather strange or desperate to bring in anyone of the calibre linked (pards, Moyes, BFS) as some kind of magic panacea because we are experiencing a tricky spell. We could bring in Moyes (or whoever) and they may very well keep us up but that isnt necessarily an argument for replacing Bilic.

b) IF concerned but a bit more rational then you give Slaven more time as he has shown his ability to keep us up which should mediate some things; We are a mid table club, we are one result away from midtable and the chasing pack. It has been a poor start but theres a number of others that have also had a poor start and by no means are we cut adrift; in fact, with a couple of decent results we would be right in amongst the rest of "the other league"-( outside the top 6). We can still go onto have a good season, for which at the end of it the club could then decide what to do going forward.

c) Theres very few available/realistic managers out there that could be objectively argued to be definitively a better option than Bilic. There's plenty of names, some that are impressive in some ways but very few that are a discernible improvement on Bilic and can address the wider issues at the club. Koeman is the only feasible name to come into that equation, with a strong c.v and identity he would make a difference. Yes he had a bad start this season but during his time in England he has finished 7th/6th/7th and could get us back on track over a multi season time frame.

I personally dont take too much from the liverpool game as some kind of nail in the coffin judgement on Slavens future, no one expected us to get anything from the game and for me it only reinforces the reestablishment of the monopoly of the traditional "top 6" in a way we havent seen in a a number of seasons. I'd like to see things cleared up so that Slaven knows the situation, instead of constant Chinese whispers whenever we get a good or a bad result because it does no one any favours. I believe he has enough collateral in the bank to justify being given a few more games to rectify things; Watford, Leicester and Everton are the next 3 and would be better to judge him on as to his viability to lead us over the next few important months of the fixture list.
  • David Moyes is in pole position to take over at West Ham until the end of the season, should Slaven Bilic be sacked.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/11/04/david-moyes-pole-position-west-ham-job-should-slaven-bilic-sacked/

Be afraid. BE VERY AFRAID!
  • I actually think moyes till the end of the season would be OK he would get us more organised and harder to beat for a start and I bet our fitness would improve. He was always on a loser taking over from fergie he did a great job at Everton . At the moment I think a change is needed I don't think the player believe in bilic anymore I certainly don't our set up against Liverpool was poor the first goal was Sunday league standard we all know they have pace but we had all our players bar hart in their half .
  • Sorry but Moyes in the same sentence as West Ham leaves me wanting to spew.....
  • I'm with PLF on this, as an interim measure at least.
  • edited November 2017
    PLF

Moyes more recent record stinks though. Capitulated at Sunderland and failed in Spain. There’s a reason why he is sitting on the sidelines not currently employed by anyone.

If the Dave’s think spending 3/4/5m to try and entice someone better who might already be in a job is not a worthwhile path to pursue then heaven help us. Surely it needs to be someone on a vaguely upwards career trajectory?

We are at the wrong end of the table, but we are still a PL club and on paper have a decent enough squad of players

If bilic is followed by Moyes, it will set us back 5 years
  • I'd like someone who can get us playing 4 at the back while being better defensively. It seems impossible for Bilic, but it's not as if it is impossible.
  • So so depressed. Another hammering and talk if Moyer coming in. Can this season get any worse?
  • On twitter from Carlton Cole

“I’ve changed my mind on Slaven - he’s a good manager and needs to stay in his job for no reason other than to stop David Moyes coming in”
  • David Moyes is in pole position to take over at West Ham until the end of the season, should Slaven Bilic be sacked.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/11/04/david-moyes-pole-position-west-ham-job-should-slaven-bilic-sacked/

Be afraid. BE VERY AFRAID!

Shambles of a club.
  • See you all in the championship ;ok
  • Twist

Why would a rumour in a paper make us a 'shambles'?

I'm disappointed with our season and performances, and edging towards the idea we need a change of manager, but I don't think the club is any sense a shambles.
  • BFS organized Sunderland and kept them up. Moyes took over and they were a shambles all season.

We're already a shambles on the pitch most of the time so we dont need him!

#living in a gangsters Allardyce
  • Tbf, and only slightly fair, Sunderland are a shambles anyway. Only have to look at where they are in the Champ to know that.
  • If the desire is a short term appointment for someone to stabilise the ONLY option is surely Sam? He would have a better squad than when he left so needn’t be reliant on the daves spending big January

Plus Grey has retained all the relevant emoji’s, and Twist’s username is already set up.
  • Yes but BFS kept them up.., Moyes sent them plummeting into Champo freefall
  • Breaking....

Sullivan has used his company shipping to sneak Moyes into the ground....

13ED97ED-276D-4A6C-8CE4-4F500FC43B36
This discussion has been closed.