Slaven Bilic named as West Ham Manager (09.06.15)

Comments

• Trying to get that identity and a plan that is used time and time again can take time, problem is that many fans get the hump when the slightest thing goes wrong.

I think SB is caught between having a plan, ala SA and really wanting to entertain the fans and get them off their feet. He’s caught in the middle somewhere
  • Another thing - why has Bilic ditched three at the back again? You would have thought two 3-0 hidings against promoted teams would have consigned a back four to the bin...

He wants to get all his attacking players on the pitch. I think he has too many "Big" personalities in the attacking department that he doesn't want to upset. If he wants wins he needs to go to the back 3 and accept he will have a few disgruntled players on the bench but the football will not be pretty.
  • I honestly don't believe that Slaven

He's not a new manager this is his 3rd year in charge now and he's still trying to get a plan....it can take time but 3 years is ridiculous

He wants to play 4-2-3-1 but we've never really looked good with 4231 unless Payet was on the ball

The team has no plan attacking they were crossing high into the box for Hernandez..... and the defence is pretty non existent as they don't seem to be on the same wavelength hence why we get punished for so many mistakes
  • On Friday more often than not the ball was played to Fonte by Hart who played it to Reid who played in to Fonte who passed it back to Hart who had to hoof it away quickly as he was under pressure from the opposition forward.

It looked like a lack of confidence and very little movement in front of them.

Rice and Reid are our two best centre backs in terms of passing and on the ball. Hart has a tendency to play it short because he can't kick a ball long (gets no height and no accuracy). He only goes long when out under pressure by an attacker and simply has no choice but to go long.
  • On Friday more often than not the ball was played to Fonte by Hart who played it to Reid who played in to Fonte who passed it back to Hart who had to hoof it away quickly as he was under pressure from the opposition forward.

It looked like a lack of confidence and very little movement in front of them.

Rice and Reid are our two best centre backs in terms of passing and on the ball. Hart has a tendency to play it short because he can't kick a ball long (gets no height and no accuracy). He only goes long when out under pressure by an attacker and simply has no choice but to go long.
    I think Fonte is good on the ball too.

Maybe a back 3 of Fonte, Reid and Rice could work well
  • I see that we are bottom for distance covered and numbers of sprints this season. Are we unfit, lazy or not bothered . I would expect a manager to be at least demanding we match the other teams effort
  • edited October 2017
    Hammers have earmarked Hoffenheim coach Julian Nagelsmann - the 30-year-old nicknamed the "Mini Mourinho" - as a potential replacement for Slaven Bilic according to the Express.

(No quotes or anything in the article though)
  • edited October 2017
    Bilic confirms that a meeting was held with club captain Mark Noble.

"The players had a meeting," he said. "I had a meeting with Mark. A long meeting, chat whatever you want to call it. It was very positive…..we have to play better and get points especially from our home games."
    Does this sound to anyone else that the players held a meeting without the manager, then Noble spoke to him afterwards as their mouthpiece ;hmm Suggests to me there's a bit of division there; that the players and manager aren't a united unit.

Maybe reading too much into it, but it doesn't quite feel right to me.
  • Its Markie doing what needs to be done as both a Fan and Player at the club.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a difference of opinion between some of the players and manager but when they cross the line they need to give 100% and a lot of them haven't even given 50%.

You get the impression though that where it was reported that he has 2 games to get things fixed that I imagine is true. 2 away games 2 derby's 2 chances. He needs to pull out the proverbial rabbit from the hat otherwise he's a gonna and I think the players know this to.
  • Sounds to me like they’ve a) acknowledged an issue b) trying to put it right

• Surely something the manager should have already done / attempted to do ;hmm
  • Perhaps Nobles pace got him there first?
  • edited October 2017

"The players had a meeting," he said. "I had a meeting with Mark. A long meeting, chat whatever you want to call it. It was very positive…..we have to play better and get points especially from our home games."
    Does this sound to anyone else that the players held a meeting without the manager, then Noble spoke to him afterwards as their mouthpiece ;hmm Suggests to me there's a bit of division there; that the players and manager aren't a united unit.

Maybe reading too much into it, but it doesn't quite feel right to me.
    He said: “They had a meeting. I know about that of course, I first had a meeting with Mark [Noble]. It was a long chat and then after, they had a meeting.

“I find that very positive, of course. They know that the situation is serious, and we have to play better and to get points, especially from our home games

Ok, so he spoke to Noble, and then the players had a meeting.

So Noble was Bilic's mouthpiece to the players ;hmm
  • They held a meeting about Antonio being RB as well

They held a meeting about Sakho kicking off at not starting

They held a meeting about removing Payet from the WhatsApp group

They sound like a close bunch who love a meeting

;ok
  • Good communication is the key to a good relationship ;biggrin
  • Do you think they play "buzz word bingo" ;puzzled

;run
  • They held a meeting about Antonio being RB as well

They held a meeting about Sakho kicking off at not starting

They held a meeting about removing Payet from the WhatsApp group

They sound like a close bunch who love a meeting

;ok

Call me old fashioned, but I would expect the manager to be involved in these meetings. Surely he's an integral part of fixing the mess we're in.
  • edited October 2017
    But if it's a player mtg ... presumably not?

Unless you think they shouldn't have player mtgs?

And, you're assuming Izzy's information is accurate.

And, you're assuming there weren't 'whole team' mtgs with Slav, in addition to the 'no bosses present' mtgs.

(As far as I'm concerned, I see nothing wrong or sinister in the club capt having a mtg with the players alone. I can think of several other instances were this has reportedly happened, and not just at WHU.)
  • edited October 2017

Leaves me full of confidence.

"we have to play better and get points especially from our home games".

No kidding Sherlock ;hmm .....genius ;doh !!!!

Now that's what I call a manager ;wahoo
  • edited October 2017
    MrsGrey said:

But if it's a player mtg ... presumably not?

Unless you think they shouldn't have player mtgs?

And, you're assuming Izzy's information is accurate.

And, you're assuming there weren't 'whole team' mtgs with Slav, in addition to the 'no bosses present' mtgs.

If there were 'whole team meetings' I'd have expected Bilic to reference them in his press conference, rather than the players meeting separately.

I'm not assuming anything; I'm going on what Bilic actually said. It may well be that there's a regular 'players only' meeting and all is well at the club, but personally I'm not convinced.
  • No, sorry,my fault, I was perhaps unclear...

.. when I referred to whole team mtgs it was in the context of those other historical 'issues' that were mentioned (Payet etc). Which of course Slav wouldn't reference in today's presser ;ok

• How about they all get together and work out a way to actually play together as a team and not as 11 individuals.
  • From the above, it looks like the players are looking for leadership, and Bilic seems to be more of a "lassez faire" kind of manager. He wants the players to "go out and do their best" without being very hands on.
    This is all pure conjecture, but lack of direct leadership -especially in younger players- can lead to disillusionment and lack of motivation. If you don't think your boss cares whether you tear down the wing or stay back deep, why should you bother?
  • From the above, it looks like the players are looking for leadership, and Bilic seems to be more of a "lassez faire" kind of manager. He wants the players to "go out and do their best" without being very hands on.
    This is all pure conjecture, but lack of direct leadership -especially in younger players- can lead to disillusionment and lack of motivation. If you don't think your boss cares whether you tear down the wing or stay back deep, why should you bother?

To me it reads as the same way that BFS handled things. I remember an interview with Nolan about how he took the issues etc from the dressing room and took them to the manager.
    Like wise the BFS would raise stuff with Nolan who would take it back to the players meetings.
    I would assume that this sort of management is across the board in most clubs. That's what you have a team captain for, they are the go between for some stuff.
    That's not to say that the manager is hands off or anything but sometimes you need the rollicking to come from the players on the pitch.
    The manager is limited in what he can do when the players step on to the pitch, so you need to captain to be able to command the respect on the pitch and off it.

You can't man manage every single person.
  • It's interesting to me that we lack leadership on the pitch, and that the managers mouthpiece (supposedly) is sat next to him on the bench. We may not be setting the world alight when Noble is in the side, but at least there seems to be more effort and some kind of strategy.

For Slav to turn it around, IMO, he needs to a) stick with 3 at the back, b) have some passionate players in the side, c) offer some kind of attacking plan that isn't just long ball.

I would like to see him try:

Hart
    Fonte Reid Collins
    Antonio Noble Obiang Cresswell
    Lanzini
    Carroll Hernandez
  • I like that but I also really want Zabaleta in somehow because a) I think he's done better than most b) he's shown more passion than anyone this season.

Antonio at RWB seems like clearly the best solution for us – he can still attack but it allows us to fit everyone else in. Sometimes I feel like, as much as Antonio's is probably our most effective player, trying to fit him in at RW limits the formations we can use.
  • I want Zabaleta in too, but it feels like we are just trying to shoehorn in everyone at the moment, and (however well he's done at wingback) he isnt a wingback, nor a centre back

Can we have a "I sort of agree" icon. ;hmm
  • edited October 2017
    It's been suggested before, but if there is a lack of leadership, and he's not as good as our other midfielders, what about playing Nobes as one of three at the back? Like a deep-lying playmaker. Reid and one other either side. Antonio as a wingback Cress/Masuaku as the other.
    Still allows us to play Obiang, Kouyate, Lanzini and two others ahead of them.
This discussion has been closed.