Slaven Bilic named as West Ham Manager (09.06.15)

Comments

• edited October 2017
    Mrs G - I would have thought the exact opposite. Benitez's main problem was the lack of funds Ashley was providing for new players so Ashley leaving and new (possibly more generous) owners would be more reason to stay.

Why would the new owners want to replace a world class manager at a less than world class club? They aren't going to get anyone better than Benitez and he's doing incredibly well with what he's got. The new owners should be begging him to stay

If common sense existed there would be no counterpoint to your comment ergo common sense doesn't exist.
  • edited October 2017
    I was thinking the opposite Mrs Grey! I thought that Ashley will do everything to keep Benitez. He's a very good manager (imo) and technically will increase the value of the club since it will already have a top manager there when the new owners take over (the new owners won't need to convince a different top manager to come to them).

And Benitez will stay because of the possibility of financial backing from the new owners.
  • Agree with ASLEF

In Ashley, Rafa currently has not exactly a great owner. He must be delighted that is about to change. Why on earth would he want to leave and join the Dave’s especially after the carvalho saga. He won’t come anywhere near us IMO
  • Ah, pipped at the post by ASLEF.
  • Aslef et al

I wasn't saying he would come to us. And yes, I agree that if the new owners promised him more money for players that would likely solve a big part of his disgruntlement.

And it would make sense for the new owners to keep him... but how often do owners do the sensible thing?
  • See your point. The new owners may even want to step it up further and go for an Ancelotti- who knows?
  • I'm with Mrs G on this. New owners tend to want 'their' man in place otherwise if all goes well it's down, in this case, to Rafa and not them.
  • Rumours on Twitter that Bilic offered his resignation after the Newcastle game but the board turned it down ;hmm
  • Excellent so they probably don’t want him long term, but won’t do anything short term and he may not want to be there right now

Recipe for disaster?
  • Rumours on Twitter that Bilic offered his resignation after the Newcastle game but the board turned it down ;hmm

Mark Noble - "This club is no longer a circus"

shot_2017-10-22_12-51-20
  • How difficult is it to pick a manager you think would be good for the club and do everything to get him? It will require some cash because most of those managers are employed. How much do they want the club to progress?

Wagner or Silva would be exactly what we need. A young, dynamic coach is exactly what we need. If you want to go more experienced then Benetiz is an ideal pick. Bilic just isn’t good enough in certain areas.

What they are doing currently is embrassing and very negative. Knowing they will let Bilic go in the summer but won’t pull the trigger now because the freebies are not who they want. Shocking.
  • Watching the West Ham u23 game against Chelsea u23's and I can see why Bilic is reluctant to put Martinez in the team. He looks like he will score goals but not a lot else. He looks slow with quite a heavy touch but definitely has goals in him. Similar to when we had Nolan
  • If the rumour concerning bilic resigning and allegedly saying goodbye to the players after the Newcastle game is true is it any wonder recent the performances (even the victory v Swansea) have been so insipid ;doh

If a manager is struggling and as a result wants to resign, why on earth would any club want to turn it down ;doh

The daves have done themselves no favours in the recent past. If they want to pussy foot around and do neither one thing nor another, they might as well follow mike ashley’s path and put the club up for sale.
  • So they wouldn’t pay the asking price for Carvalho and they won’t pay to get rid of Slav.

14m net spend in the summer

Anyone seeing a trend?

There were also scuffles in the Corp boxes on Friday, the natives are getting restless
  • edited October 2017
    But it’s even worse SCHB - if he actually did offer up his resignation they wouldn’t have to pay up his contract right? So it then only comes down to a reluctance to actually pay a release fee for a manager who is a step up who might already be in a job ;doh

My hunch is that in the summer we will be welcoming Moyes to the London Stadium
  • Nozzzzthizzznotpozzzebal
    Barrack
    12863448-2ED0-4C64-9AC7-918BD5D2615C
    ;wave
  • They just had a brief conversation on MOTD2 about the Bilic situation. The main point they made was Slav saying I got us out of a similar position last season and am confident I can do it again, they commented shouldn't the question be why are West Ham in the same predicament as last year & it isn't a defence to say you can fix it again?
  • But it’s even worse SCHB - if he actually did offer up his resignation they wouldn’t have to pay up his contract right? So it then only comes down to a reluctance to actually pay a release fee for a manager who is a step up who might already be in a job ;doh

My hunch is that in the summer we will be welcoming Moyes to the London Stadium

I would've thought Bilic would have asked for a payout and our chairmen refused. May be wrong though. Bilic wouldn't be able to walk away as he'd technically be breaching his contract.
  • Yep they probably wanted him to pay them compensation.......

Perhaps they were thinking they’d use it for a Jan bid for Carvalho? Oh wait
  • he should be safe now - we just moved up a place!
  • Fake News

• Sky sources saying he's remaining as manager.

Haha what.
  • It is not just the case of paying compensation to Bilic (that should be minimal with only 8 more months left on his contract), but also to his backroom staff who will mostly be cleared out to make room for the next team. the payments need to be seen in the context of possible loss of receipts due to relegation, loss of fan base and discontent.

If a new manager was to start within the next two weeks or so, he will have enough time to assess the capabilities of the current senior players and use the January kitty wisely. so delay at this juncture does not make any sense.

It looks to me that Bilic has lost the dressing room - playing too many players out of position; playing his favourite players who perform poorly (Carroll) and thus blocking others; discontent (Sakho???); wages problems, higher wages to new unproven players (Arnautovic) whilst others do not get the same, and lack of nous and tactics - not sure what his formation and frontline is and no Plan B. It is hard to detect team comradery. I would guess that players like Reid, Noble, Carroll, Adrian. Kouyate are probably very influential behind the scenes and two Daves would have privately canvassed their thoughts.

I can't see Bilic lasting and if WHU do not beat Palace that should be curtains and Westley would probably be a caretaker manager, at least initially.
  • Having read through these comments I reckon I have final got my head round the situation. The owners neither have the money to take us to the next level (1), however that is quantified, and no funds to pay off the existing managerial team (2) and attract a manager who could possibly achieve the first part. It is really quite depressing that realisation. So we coast to the end of the season and hope we survive, haven't we been here before it recent times? ;doh
  • Every single year we do it barring the odd blip.

First rule every season at West Ham - get to 40 points
  • Has Spurs and Palace to save his job apparently.
  • What the happens if we perform badly in the seven games after those 2 which looking at the fixtures is quite likely, especially the three at the start of December?
  • We've had our worst start since 2010 and we all know what happened that season.
  • Put the poor guy out of his misery
  • Bit surprised at the apparently easy acceptance of the assertion that the owners only look to do things on the cheap. Well, tbh, I'm not, but I should be, given the paucity of evidence.

A half-baked Twitter rumour apparently supports this assertion, but if the rumour proves to be false, I doubt we'll see the 'assertees' bother to admit they were wrong.

The board were on the verge of appointing Benitez until Real stepped in.

How does that fit your cheapskate narrative?
This discussion has been closed.