The UK is Out - New PM - and whither now for Article 50

Comments

• Got my proxy vote sorted ;ok
  • I'm personally feeling the European love.
  • #RomaineSaysRemain
  • In

Stay

Remain
  • Sorted my proxy vote when I did the mayoral one. Just hope my sister doesn't Jordan Henderson the ticking part.

• ;lol

;nonono

;whome

• Worth reading if you are still undecided - the main issues, the arguments for 'leave'. The facts. The arguments for remain.

The questions to ask yourself.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/22/eu-referendum-five-questions-to-answer-before-you-vote
  • So biased in favour of remain though it won't help anybody.
  • It does, however, offer some actual facts pertaining to the various issues.

Which people who are undecided can consider, and ignore if they like.

Or can look up other facts which they can also weigh in the balance.

Personally speaking, I found nothing that the 'leave' campaign presented to persuade me to change the current situation went beyond rhetoric, racism, bigotry, obfuscation, misinformation and insinuation.

• Have still to decide - have to admit I have been very disappointed with the remain campaign in my area who seem to have given up from the start and provided nothing.

The Leave have issued a lot of information in leaflets (anything up to 6 page A5 pamphlets) and even did an 8 page metro style news paper, all of which make well thought out and compelling arguments to leave, with lots of comment on the remain sides claims of doom basically pointing out (apart from speculation by all and sundry) they can not provide any factual proof of their claims any more then the Leave side can.
  • There are plenty of newspapers biased the other way.

The FT has been the most sensible newspaper in its coverage but no-one reads it and those who do have made up their minds.

I feel the same as MrsG. I haven't seen a single good argument to leave. Nothing beyond the anti-immigrant stance actually requires leaving. The stuff about linking with the commonwealth is nonsense. Former colonies have their trade deal with the EU, they have no reason to give Britain special treatment (quite the opposite).

Admeus: while Remain might exaggerate future impacts (though imo there are potentially big dangers) the Leave campaign have lied a lot about what is happening now. A bit different.
  • edited June 2016

The Leave have issued a lot of information in leaflets (anything up to 6 page A5 pamphlets) and even did an 8 page metro style news paper, all of which make well thought out and compelling arguments to leave,

They put their BNP money to good use, then. ;hmm

Did they include the 'Turks, coming to rape our white women!' line.

A vote winner with a certain demographic?

Metro Style, you say.

Like this?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/eu-referendum-brexit-immigration-what-it-means-facts-live-updates-newspaper-advert-leave-remain-a7095191.html

well thought out and compelling arguments
    Go on then. Persuade me ;biggrin
  • Out vote for me.
  • An alternative opinion on the worth of EU membership from Switzerland: https://rt.com/news/346884-switzerland-eu-membership-application-rejected/

I thought I'd find a link outside the UK press. It also states:
    Switzerland, never a member of EU, shares free trade with the union and free movement of people as part of the Schengen zone.
    It will not be doom and gloom or nirvana whatever the result.

Personally I would like to move away from EU control, for two main reasons:
    1. I want my vote to count for the way my country is run. If I don't like the incumbent Government I can vote against it - the European Commissioners (who hold the real power) are unelected Eurocrats.
    2. I want to be able to trade Globally, without European protectionism preventing the UK coming to our own trade agreements.

Are we like Guernsey, as recently claimed by by the French Economic Minister, bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36567469 or are we the 5th largest economy in the world?

Whatever the result, life will go on, I'll still support the Hammers, focus on improving the lot for my family and enjoying life.

Vote according to your own opinion and if in doubt vote with your heart. Whatever you do, don't fail to vote, then complain if the result isn't the one you hoped for.
  • For those of you who are undecided, I am in. So, yknow, copy me.
  • I'm out copy me ;clown
  • shake it all about
  • All it has done for me is make me ask why we ended up with a referendum due to tory infighting. Referendums are not a great example of democracy but rather a great example of why democracy only exists theoretically. People vote according to the information given whether it's true or not and so the information provider controls the democracy. Can you imagine this referendum if all newspapers and commentators had to state whether something was factually true or opinion.

One of the biggest decision with regard the direction this country takes is handed to people who cannot weigh or measure information for accuracy and that is a dangerous situation. I personally have had people tell me they are voting leave because otherwise we will be overrun by Syrian refugees due to the EU allowing them in, because we give 350m (that's 7 payets) to the EU every week, because Turkey is becoming a member of the EU in October, because the unelected EU pass laws which we have to adopt. Now of course none of these things are factually true, but people believe them because they have read them or heard someone say them.

Very worrying state of affairs - but at least it has caused Boris to break cover and reveal himself.
  • edited June 2016
    Claret ;ok

What I found astonishing was some of the newspapers guilty of this suddenly pulling out the Remain editorials at the last minute, as it that would make the slightest difference after the work they've done over decades.

I know it's pretty much too late for anyone to change their minds. I'm sticking with in because I see a lot of benefits to the EU and while their might be genuine problems, they haven't been at the forefront of this debate. Some of the things people are worried about having been dealt with sensibly, by other side. And I don't want the right-wing empowered or to help Boris Johnson in his leadership bid. Remain might not have given many good reasons to vote in, but the Leave campaign didn't give me convince me the country would be better off leaving. So staying is safer.
  • I am 100% in.
  • I have always been a rebel, once we are officially declared to have carried the day,
    I`ll go to Dover and help fill in the Chunnel! ;ok
  • With the likes of David Cameron, Gideon, Yvette Cooper, Beckham, Karren Brady, Jeremy Corbyn, etc lobbying the uk people to do one thing, it made it an extremely straightforward decision for me to do the exact opposite
  • Similar to barracks except it only took two people, Johnson and Gove, to make me vote IN.
  • edited June 2016
    Sweepstake for when this thread gets closed ;wink

lolololol

• For what it's worth, if we are doing predictions, I think it will end up around 53/47 in favour of remain
  • Dodger58 said:

It also states:

Switzerland, never a member of EU, shares free trade with the union and free movement of people as part of the Schengen zone.
    Isn't the requirement to accept free movement of people one of the main reason why Leavers want out?

• Baffled by this 'democracy' canard.

The majority of voters in the last 2 elections have not been able to change the Government that they clearly didn't want.

The last 2 elections have seen a government formed by a party claiming narrowly over 1/3 of the vote, (on a turnout of 2/3 of voters.)

So, almost 2/3 of those who chose to vote in the last elections did not see the party they voted for take power.

That's some democracy.

“Dear Brits, if you remain in the EU ... then we ourselves will recognise the Wembley goal,”
    Touching on decades of rivalry on the soccer pitch, the paper said Germany would
    go without its goalkeeper in the next penalty shootout between England and Germany.

... the mass-selling tabloid promised to put towels on sun loungers to reserve the best spots for Britons by the hotel pool, and to not use suntan lotion out of solidarity with sunburnt Brits.

If Britain were to stay in the EU, Bild also pledged to supply the baddie for every James Bond film, put its clocks back one hour so they were on the same time zone as Britain and introduce an EU guideline that bans froth on beer.

;biggrin
  • I can see where you are coming from Grey, although at least they had the chance to vote. Also if the government is so bad in the future then I think that future elections will see a higher turn out and more chance of a majority vote actually happening.

I was very much on the fence the whole way throughout this awful debate. In the end I decided to vote out (and this was not an easy decision for me). I have hated all of the bile being said about immigration (I am a fan of immigration and am in a relationship with an immigrant) but in the end I decided to take the risk of the unknown should we vote to leave.

This is because I was more concerned that the EU is slowly heading towards a United States setup which I am not in favour of, and I do believe that after a tough initial period that we will emerge from the exit and still be a strong nation.

I work in London in property so for my job in the short term I am better off if we remain, however I think that the scaremongering that no one wants to trade and why are we shutting ourselves off from the world are wrong. There are already reports that the head of industry in Germany is already saying that if we leave then they need to agree a trade deal with us asap. I also see us still playing an active role in the world.

I still think that remain will win by a small margin, and if this happens then I accept that. The biggest concern for me is that after the result we as a nation pull back together to make sure that we make the most of which ever way it goes.
  • Just for the record, I am 100% in the remain camp.

Granted that it would be difficult to be less than 100% ;wink
This discussion has been closed.