The UK is Out - New PM - and whither now for Article 50

Comments

• And one from my brother:

Post-referendum hopes.

Thankful that our lives will no longer be blighted by too many one-sided statistics, blatant exaggerations, extreme bias, nasty rhetoric, and lies from too many people from both sides.

Whatever the result, I hope the losing side will accept the democratic decision without moaning, I hope the winning side without crowing.

I hope that disingenuous politicians, not all but far too many of them, learn that they need to earn back some respect, and stop treating their electorate like gullible fools. For those that don't, I hope they get deselected by their local parties or voted out by their electorates.

It's up to us to vote for the kind of people we want, not necessarily for the party that we prefer. We have the power to change the way politics is played in the UK. It is up to us.
  • Voted......in. ;ok
  • bookies have 1/6 for remain and 4-1 for leave.
  • Does Romaine remain? ;hmm

#teamin
  • Vote Remain.

;hmm

O! Meet Rav in. ;thumbsup

• Stay and lettuce for everyone ;wahoo
  • Voted - got soaked doing it before a lovely 3 and half hour journey into work this morning due to flooding at Manor Park and West Ham ;weep
  • I voted "LEAVE" , as I can vote out whoever is in next if they are useless
  • edited June 2016
    Had a surreal moment in the village square just now.
    Speaking to two late middle aged lady voters I know just coming back from the hall from voting. When I asked how they had voted, they both said 'leave'.
    When I asked why, one of them said, "well, we want to be independant and keep the Royal Family".... The other one nodded
    I am truly speechless at the astonishing ignorance of some of our voters - after all the available facts to read, that could possibly be a reaction/reason ??
    I am depressed ;doh
  • Daily Express readers I would think ;lol
  • Billy ;ok I just asked my 90 year old mum who she voted for today.......she couldn't remember... ;doh
  • You have two problems here

One is voters who are clearly on a strange tangent (bbb's example above)

The other is the plethora of unsubstantiated tripe being peddled by BOTH sides.

The simple fact is no-one knows what will happen - there is no precedent for this kind of thing at all - so Joe Bloggs on the street's opinion is no less valid than a so called expert like, say, Sir Stuart Rose

So a lot of people, like myself will have gone with their gut instinct.
  • edited June 2016
    Disagree a bit with that barracks.

We have a reasonable idea what will happen if we stay based on experience but we have little or no idea of what will happen if we leave because we do not have that experience.

IMO of course ;ok
  • Ironduke said:

I voted "LEAVE" , as I can vote out whoever is in next if they are useless

Not quite.

You can vote against, but that don't mean they won't get in again anyway.

Trust me on this...
  • Yeh, I sort of get that Herb ;ok

IMO, what will happen is that things would get worse short term and better long term with a Brexit, as often happens when a period of change happens. That has underpinned my thinking.

I also get though that that point of view won't necessarily resonate with many out there (53% to be precise ;lol)

• When I asked why, one of them said, "well, we want to be independant and keep the Royal Family".... The other one nodded

All that talk of sovereignty got them confused. ;lol

Could have been worse - they could have voted Leave so we could go back to 'old money'. ;puzzled

Don't be depressed - console yourself that they were just winding you up. They are even now sat at home knocking back tequila slammers and laughing at the gullibility of the young. ;pray

(Ps, just edited your naughty word in your earlier rant ;hug )
  • edited June 2016
    By the way, if Leave win, the following smileys will be discontinued as a result in increased in cross-border import tarrifs.

;champagne ;cappuccino ;stout ;redwine ;pizza ;scooter ;icecream ;rose ;adrian

They will in due course be replaced, but the negotiation may take some time. ;biggrin

You'll have to make do with ;beer ;tea ;porkpie
  • Have we left yet?
  • Romaine28 said:

Have we left yet?

Nein

Not until Ms Merkel says we are allowed to.
  • A referendum was a very big mistake. The threat of having one was our only weapon when trying to negotiate or get concessions. With a remain vote being likely we will never be in a position to have any influence at all in future. Merkel has us by the short and curlies. The pathetic renegotiation which Cameron never really achieved hasn't yet and probably never will be ratified.
  • Romaine28 said:

Have we left yet?

Nein

That's Dr Merkel to you.

;wink
  • A referendum was a very big mistake. The threat of having one was our only weapon when trying to negotiate or get concessions. With a remain vote being likely we will never be in a position to have any influence at all in future. Merkel has us by the short and curlies. The pathetic renegotiation which Cameron never really achieved hasn't yet and probably never will be ratified.

If they know you are never going to use it then where's the deterrent?
  • MrsGrey said:

Romaine28 said:

Have we left yet?

Nein

That's Dr Merkel to you.

;wink
    Ja naturlich tut mir leid

(Yes of course I'm sorry)
  • Are you really? ;wink
  • My wife just asked me who won???
    Bemused and dismayed I told her it had gone to penalties and left her to think about her actions.
  • McHammer ;lol
  • who do we play in the next round? or if the Government dont get the right result will we have a replay(Like Ireland did over the monopoly money!)

Just heard from a close source that apparently you risk having your "X" expunged by person/persons u/k if you using a pencil!! Persons seen with rubbers should be regarded a vote changers. Dont know which side is allegedly purpertrating this fix, but they would have either be standing to you or having a hole in the ballott box!
  • A YouGov poll found 46 per cent of all Leave voters think it's 'probably true' that their vote will be altered. A third of Ukip voters feared that MI5 might be involved.
    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3656171/Usepens-Brexit-backers-urge-voters-pen-polls-case-pencil-markings-erased-MI5-plot.html#ixzz4CQLvFNc2

And these are the people who are trusted to vote ;doh
  • Mrs G

I consider myself to be fairly level headed but I must admit when I put my X I pressed down hard with the pencil and then went over it again for good measure...

;hmm
This discussion has been closed.