I won't stand for this - The thread all about standing at the OS.

Comments

• They didn't think they would sell out the stadium so put the +2 offer in. They quickly realised that to be not true and looked at extending the capacity it happened they sold those tickets. The +2 idea was miscalculated but not a stupid idea as some people are saying last i heard the waiting list at the Boleyn was a few thousand and we were going from a 35k to a 50k+ stadium ?

I make you right Yeold.

I realise because of price and novelty we were always going to attract some more/new fans. Affordability played a major part, a father could take his three boys to every game for a fraction of what it cose before.

But double our Season Ticket fan base in months????

In hindsight the +1 was probably enough, but we may still of seen issues.
  • Tomw85 said:

I might be missing something here but I am struggling to see how the +2 tickets has a knock on effect to those wanting to stand? They would be wanting to stand regardless, and as Preston said earlier, even if you put all of the standing fans together so that no ones view was obstructed we would still have this issue.

Also those wanting to bash the club, this is coming from the stadium operators not the club. Ok the club could have tried to group fans better (family area etc..) but standing would still be an issue.

We have only played a couple of games at the new stadium, it is very early days, how about we give the powers that be a chance to resolve these issues. By all accounts they seem to be canvassing for feedback to help make it better. It was never going to be perfect from game one!

See my response to Prestons comment

It's not about wanting to bash the club or anyone, it's pointing out what appear to be obvious mistakes or differences in the process that may or may not have proved to be a better solution.

I've read litterally pages of horror stories about fans ST purchase experience, whether it be view, cost, location etc etc one fan was sold a seat that didn't exist. Now I'm sure over time the club will rectify this but my biggest issue is that like so many problems the club creates for itself, were actually avoidable.

;ok
  • edited August 2016

I'm guessing we wouldn't even be talking about it or even have this thread.

Why?

because nobody would've complained, therefore the club wouldn't of had this issue to deal with.

and the stewards would've been doing very little.

;ok

Don't agree at all. Maybe other fans wouldn't have complained BUT the stewards would still have been asking people to sit (as per their job training/responsibilities etc). And they would still have been either ignored or abused (as seems to have been the case under the current set up).

They aren't club employees, so they wouldn't have just shrugged and said #whatever.

They would have complained to the stadium operators, either about the abuse they were getting or to ask for guidance on what they should do in the event of persistent standing and fans ignoring their request to sit ....

and events would have played out more or less have done already. imo.

The factor of fans not being able to see is a minor issue in all of this - it has only really come play a big part in the debate because it was mentioned by the club when they wrote to everyone appealing to standers to show some consideration. (Appealing to their better nature, if you like. How dd that work out, btw?)
  • I honestly don't think we'd of heard too much about it.

There were lots and lots of people (rightly) annoyed at having their view blocked or being told to sit down.

Had we somehow managed to get all the standers in the right places with little to no complaints then it would've been just like it was at UP.

Man City don't own their ground, I have no idea who is responsible for the safety certificate or enforcing any sitting regulations, do they still have problems, do they still stand and do people still get (threatened) ejected?

• The Etihad is owned by Manchester City Council and they are responsible for the Safety Certificate but they have a SAG in place who manage all safety aspects and report to and recommend actions to the council.
  • thanks IH.

;ok

I wonder how they got round all this moving from Maine Road, perhaps they didn't have the issue? Perhaps it took years for it to work itself out?
  • If the standing continues the SAG has the authority to cancel the certificate or drastically reduce the capacity.
  • I asked my Citeh mate.

From what she remembers;

1] season tickets holders were given no choice about what seat they would get in the new stadium.
    2] she moved at the end of the first season as she didn't like her new seat. The roof did not cover the stand fully and she got wet a lot.
    3] she was moved again the following season when the family stand was created.
    4] she doesn't recall standing being an issue but she will ask on her version of 606 and get back to me.
  • I asked my Citeh mate.
    4] she doesn't recall standing being an issue but she will ask on her version of 606 and get back to me.

So has Grey sold concessions?

;biggrin
  • Pyramid scheme ;biggrin
  • Romaine10 said:

We sold out
    We sold out
    ;quaver

This.
  • Why would the club have a "family seating area" when the whole stadium has been designated as a "seating area"?

Because parents with kids tend to use less swearwords and less threatening or aggressive language and behaviour than 20,000 young turks in a stand together, and knowledge that the people in a particular sector will also be concerned about the overall experience of a day out at the stadium for their kids rather than a few pints, calling the ref names and suggesting the opposition manager inserts various things into various places is a deciding factor. I go to my local club's games and sit at the touchline when I go on my own, and sit in the family sector when I take the kids. Different atmospheres completely. Neither is better, both serve different needs.
  • SHF - I was thinking about the "seating" bit rather than the "family" bit. I always thought that you took kids to football so they could learn swear words..........
  • Times have changed ASLEF ............. I sit near the kids to learn the new ones ;lol
  • From #606Citeh

"We moved from the Kippax to the new North Stand. There were a few "standers" at first, but the Stewards were on it and it became less of an issue as time went on. However those in the old North / new South stand (nutters end) stood up whatever and a few Stewards weren't really a match for so many dedicated standers..... It sorted itself out over time and is not an issue anymore".

• I am very interested in what is not said in the 606Citeh note. How was it sorted out over time - by tacit acceptance of standing in these areas by the authorities; by expelling persistent standers: by accommodating those who wished to stand in one area and those who wished to sit in another; some other solution; or was just everyone got on with life and the issue faded away!
  • My 'mole' is on the case... ;cool

Further intell to follow.

Don't tell anyone or I will have to kill you ;biggrin
  • My lips are sealed! ;cool
  • Good lad ;biggrin
  • SHF - I was thinking about the "seating" bit rather than the "family" bit. I always thought that you took kids to football so they could learn swear words..........

To be fair I think you knew what I meant originally though.....

Just my opinion

;ok
  • edited August 2016
    I learnt my swear words at football and sold them for 10p at school on the Monday.

;biggrin
  • She did. She did.

• Tell you what though, nice debate people, good to see a healthy adult discussion, nobody wants anyone unhappy, seated or standing and nobody wants to find fault with the club either.

;ok
  • Nope, I meant why have a "family SEATING area" in an all-seater stadium
  • Because it makes sense.
  • edited August 2016

Nope, I meant why have a "family SEATING area" in an all-seater stadium

I know what you meant.

I'm on about when you first pulled me up on including "Seating" when I first mentioned it, when I actually meant just "Family area".
  • ;quaver Stand up if you're 8 years old