I won't stand for this - The thread all about standing at the OS.

Comments

• IronHerb said:

The chant was "Where were you at Upton Park" so not sure how that was aimed at the stewards who we all know are new and employed by Vinci. ;hmm

him_indoors remarked at the time 'whoever currently has our old BML seats better not be chanting that at us!'
  • Unaceptable if people were directing it towards our own but certainly around me was directed at stewards

OK, so it's alright to direct abuse at the stewards ;hmm
  • Because "where were you at upton park" to stewards is incredibly offensive? Its a football match, not equestrian - there will be some banter.

Unbelievable
  • The Stewards should have chanted back "We were employed by a totally different company when you lot were at Upton Park"

But I think this simple fact might just be over the heads of those who are standing even after we have had 3k allocation cut.
  • What part of "THE WEST HAM BOARD DO NOT OWN THE STADIUM ANYMORE" do you not understand? It doesn't matter that you could stand at Upton Park, it wouldn't matter if you could have done cartwheels back at our old place, we have moved. The stadium owners, the LLDC and the stadium operators, Vinci, don't want anybody standing, full stop.
  • Okay, your right, there is no issue atall. because the LLDC, Vinci etc etc want everyoe to sit i'm sure that next game eveyone will quietly listen and sit, because they were told to...

Its an issue that a lot lot more people feel strongly about than is evident on here, and it will continue to be divisive.

That much is obvious if you look at other forums e.g. KUMB or just listen to people unhappy at matches - and the fact is that if people continue to stand up for what they believe in then it is more likely that Gold Brady etc will look for a solution e.g. push for a league ruling change on safe standing/ create a 'singing section'...

• Full stop. Period.
  • edited August 2016

Okay, your right, there is no issue atall. because the LLDC, Vinci etc etc want everyoe to sit i'm sure that next game eveyone will quietly listen and sit, because they were told to...

No one has said this. So why pretend they have? It doesn't make your argument any stronger.

and the fact is that if people continue to stand up for what they believe in then it is more likely that Gold Brady etc will look for a solution e.g. push for a league ruling change on safe standing/ create a 'singing section'...

If I had to bet on this ... I just wouldn't.

I think the selfish standers are vastly over-estimating their influence tbh.
  • Okay so hypothetically everyone sits down... WOudl you be happy to be one of only stadiums in elague with nobody stoodu up and the subsequent reduced atmosphere - which has already been slated by the media after our first game.

Seems too many are happy to enjoy the good atmosphere standing areas create, whilst gloating arsenal etc for being quiet, whereas suddenly those same standers are now branded selfish? Ok.
  • Ali

Its an awful position to be in. Had I kept my BML season ticket I would have been standing at all of the games so far. My old seat at UP backed on the the stairs [I'm also only 5.2"] so I was never in anyone's way.

I will say though, if someone had asked me to sit down, I would have done.

I wish the club had addressed this from the start. Engaged with fans so all could have come to a temporary agreement, sit down whilst the world is watching then we'll see where we are with 'unsanctioned' standing.

They could have done this via Twitter - for example - using the Sullivan boys.

• Okay so hypothetically everyone sits down... WOudl you be happy to be one of only stadiums in elague with nobody stoodu up and the subsequent reduced atmosphere - which has already been slated by the media after our first game.

Seems too many are happy to enjoy the good atmosphere standing areas create, whilst gloating arsenal etc for being quiet, whereas suddenly those same standers are now branded selfish? Ok.

Does your voice only work when you stand up? Do you suddenly go mute the moment you sit?
  • Suzanne ;ok

Im on the same page, would happily sit down if somebody asked sunday but as i said people were happily swapping seats around me to ensure everyone was happy.

I agree the club should have consulted people more, i think having a family section was absolutely vital and is present in every other prem stadium i believe. Also mthink there could have been a 'singing section' behind goals for example created, as everyone would know what that meant...
  • Moojor.... Very funny, but i think we both know much easier to be loud when standing hence why all singers stand up to sing (when they are able to) before some one very cleverly points out an exception.

• Gold and Co may well bring it up with other owners regarding standing only areas but that will take time. Although if the majority of other owners don't agree, then there isn't anything that can be done. Look, stand up of you want but don't come on here moaning if they decide to make an example of you and ban you.

1. I'm not really interested in what the media say.
    2. The issue is 'persistent' standing. Nobody is suggesting fans have to be glued to their seats for the duration.
    3. I don't accept that the choice is between standing and silence.
    4. Most people's vocal chords still work while sitting down.

5. imo anyone who by standing up stops someone else from being able to see, and won't sit down because 'it's the club's fault' is, yes, selfish. Putting their own wishes ahead of anyone else. Others may not agree, but I won't be persuaded otherwise.
    6. I don't believe that the motive of the 'standers' is to improve the experience for everybody else. Sorry, no can do.
  • Thanks, i wont ;wahoo

Dont come on here and moan when we get ribbed by every set of away fans for having a quiet bowl of a stadium.
  • If it was only standers getting banned, then I'd say well it's their loss, up to them if they want to risk it, but the issue is also that it has cost, and could continue to cost, other fans the opportunity to come to the game, and that is simply selfish, imo.
  • Moojor.... Very funny, but i think we both know much easier to be loud when standing hence why all singers stand up to sing (when they are able to) before some one very cleverly points out an exception.

While it may be easier, it really wouldn't make much of a difference when you are bellowing terrace chants out. This isn't like you are trying to do an opera or project your solo voice over an arena.

a few hundred people shouting while sitting at a football ground really wouldn't be that much different from a few hundred people standing and shouting.

The problem is one of "image", normally the standing sections shout and the sitting sections are quiet. So people just don't think it would work but the difference really would be imperceivable if a whole stand sat and shouted.
  • edited August 2016
    him_indoors and I make as much noise from our new seats as we did in the BML.

I know, you are all shocked ;biggrin
  • ;lol

So shocked I may need a medicinal ;redwine
  • Can't let a lady drink alone... ;beer
  • Of course you can sing sitting down, Val Doonican made a career out of it... ;lol
  • Preston ............... choruses of Paddy McGintys goat roaring out from the BML ;lol
  • I am finding it hard to remain seated - I always stood at UP, so feels really odd sitting - but any chance to stand I will as do everyone around me. Then theres that nervous pause where everyone feels more comfortable standing and we all look around and slowly start to sit again as if no one wants to be the first to sit and everyone really wants to stand. Takes a bit of getting used to. ;puzzled

• Its an issue that a lot lot more people feel strongly about than is evident on here, and it will continue to be divisive.

That much is obvious if you look at other forums e.g. KUMB or just listen to people unhappy at matches - and the fact is that if people continue to stand up for what they believe in then it is more likely that Gold Brady etc will look for a solution e.g. push for a league ruling change on safe standing/ create a 'singing section'...

Or look to get a system in place where people can move now that it's very clear where the standing areas are, which funny enough are in the main the same as UP, who knew!!!!

Otherwise they'll continue to end up with 3-9,000 off the capacity or it could be cut even further.

There were people writing down numbers and taking pictures this isn't going away anytime soon and the club need to help find a solution.
  • All sorts of trouble again last night and I don't just mean our poor display

Fights breaking out, possible away fans in the home ends we really are a bit of a mess right now it's going to take a while

And where are the old bill??!

Seen next to none and the stewards don't want to get too involved and can you blame them?
  • edited August 2016
    Really heavy handed stewarding in the West Upper last night. The back row (about 10 guys) in the block next me me were standing up and chanting.

The stewards where on them in seconds. It wasn't persistent standing and they were not blocking anyone's view.

The stewards handled it really badly.

It's a problem that isn't going away and it's only going to get worse.
  • They seem to be focusing on the wrong people / issues while taking a laid back approach to fighting. During one of the punch ups there was a moment in play that caused them all to turn round and watch the action