Academy and Development Squad Developments 2017-18

Comments

• A guy I work with plays up front for Maidenhead, so we are all Maidenhead fans here (except when they play Chelmsford).
  • 2 goals in the last 10 minutes give the U23's a 2-1 win at Wolves to get to the play off final.

COYI
  • BOOM! ;wahoo
  • Westley on Nathan Holland:

"Holland was very hood first half. I mean, wow, he might be one of the best we've ever made... He's going to go such a long way."

Sounds promising. ;clap
  • Westley on Nathan Holland:

"Holland was very hood first half. I mean, wow, he might be one of the best we've ever made... He's going to go such a long way."

Sounds promising. ;clap

From what I've seen, he is indeed very promising. But it's a bit rich of Westley to say "we've made" him, since he joined Everton's academy at age 9 and was there until January 2017, when we signed him, aged 18!
  • Moore_than

Perhaps he meant 'signings'?
  • edited May 2017
    Yes, I think you're right. Good spot. If I'm honest my interpretation was probably coloured by being rather protective of Tony Carr's record!

While I can't find any context to the line quoted, one story that suggests Westley claims Holland is one of the best to have come up through the West Ham youth ranks (http://www.footballinsider247.com/one-best-ever-made-west-ham-coach-raves-18-year-old/) seems to base their story on just the quotation from an article (http://www.football.london/west-ham-united-fc/players/nathan-holland-might-west-hams-13008563) that makes it clear in their headline that Westley was referring to one of the best signings.
  • Currently behind in play off final.
  • Newcastle take the lead from corner. The inability to defend corners seems to run through the entire Club. ;doh
  • We can't always defend our own corners let alone the oppositions
  • Martinez scores to make it 1 - 1
  • Still annoys me we play Calleri constantly and send him out on loan.
  • 2-1 up now Martinez again.
  • They've done it ;clap
  • ;wahoo
  • Play them all on Sunday ;wahoo
  • Martinez needs to learn how to fly and shoot loganberries from his nipples before he gets a chance.
  • I'm fairly sure that Martinez can't play because his loan was "to the end of the season", which makes him ineligible for us.

Also, yes, he has potential, BUT if there was another player in League Two who had scored 1 goal in 15 appearances we would be unlikely to be saying that he is someone we want in our first team.
  • alderz, I wish I could 'like' your post more than once.
  • Kind of expected someone to say something like this and yes that’s fair enough. However although he hasn’t scored that many goals his overall performance have been good apparently. Also no one can tell me that League one football is anything like Premiership football. Same goes for Cullen. All I’m saying is the boy should get a chance. The same chance Calleri is getting for whatever reason.
  • Team Ham on this one. We've nothing to lose and I don't think Martinez can be any worse than Calleri. Nothing riding on Sunday other than a few million quid so what better time to give Rice, Holland and Martinez some first team experience.
  • Martinez can't play and Holland was subbed off injured last night.
  • ;ok unfortunately though as Alderz says I don't think he is able to play due to his loan. Shouldn't have gone out in the first place maybe.
  • I'm not saying he SHOULDNT get a chance, I'm just saying he hasn't done anything to suggest that Slav has made an error in not giving him a chance already.

I think he will be a better player for his loan spell, and I hope he shows in preseason that maybe we don't need to buy 3 new strikers and he can take the space of one of those.
  • Does that apply to Samuelsen too, then? ;hmm
  • edited May 2017
    The error in my opinion was to send the boy out on loan when we had a striker crisis meaning we had to play Calleri and trying to buy players like Scott Hogan
  • Big step up for kids, the development squad isn't close to competitive football and the loan probably did him a world of good

He has preseason to impress, it's on him to show he's at the level of our current crop and he can do it against premier league defenders not other kids