• We've got Cullen
    Joshua Cullen
    I just don't think you understand
    We got him from West Ham
    He's better than Zidane
    We've got Joshua Cullen

Awwwwww
  • He's the one that can really make the jump up imo

He is a on the older side of our youth players at 21 but he looks to have that bit of class about him. He still has a lot of maturing to do physically but has the attributes to be a deep playmaker, a guy who can dictate tempo which we only really have Lanzini who can do that but we want him further up the pitch

Him and Burke will have preseason to impress, would like to see their performances as we are stacked in their positions but both could save us some money long term
  • Alderz, it's the only one with the words "Joshua Cullen" in, therefore it is unique. ;biggrin
  • If Slav is not going to give Academy players a first team start, what is the point of the Academy? ;hmm
  • Screenshot_20170520-131052
    I'll just leave this here
  • He really shouldn't be on twitter
  • Why?

It's a perfectly reasonable comment, specifically referring to 'teenagers'.

It really doesn't happen that often at other clubs.
  • Are we a team of seasoned internationals then?
  • edited May 2017
    Screenshot_20170520-140423
    And other clubs do play teenagers
  • edited May 2017
    The question was about "youngsters" not "teenagers, Oxford is 18 but Burke is 20 and will be 21 in September.

As for "seasoned international" (singular???) that certainly applies to our centre backs, Collins, Fonte, Reid and Ogbonna have over 100 caps between them.
  • Why?

It's a perfectly reasonable comment, specifically referring to 'teenagers'.

It really doesn't happen that often at other clubs.

Close the academy down then? ;hmm
  • edited May 2017
    Only if you think the only purpose of the Academy is to produce 1st team players for West Ham?
  • Hamstew - often enough to stop it being 'extremely unlikely' - given how many youth players each team has?

ASLEF - the question used 'youngsters' - Gold used 'teenagers.

Twist

Yes, as that is clearly what I meant.

I really don't get the point of that type of response.

Have a look here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3774724/Premier-League-graduates-players-come-club.html

and here:

www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/10058264/hold-hold-hold
  • Problem is of late how many youngsters that we have released recently have gone on to prove that decision to be wrong. Very few in recent years.
  • I thought Zavon Hines was the next world star!!
  • Anyone doubting the club's commitment to developing young players is clearly not following what is going on. In addition to our own academy products, we have signed a fair few promising players between the ages of 17 and 19 in the last few years.
  • I will never be persuaded that giving Calleri game after game and sending Martinez out on loan was a good idea. Then seeing a tweet like that? Sorry just my opinion ;ok
  • Ham

If they didn't want them to come on into the team, they wouldn't sign them in the first place, would they?
  • I don't expect to persuade you, but I think there is an argument that had Martinez gotten such few minutes in our team (as Calleri has) he wouldn't have had the same opportunity to develop as he did being a first teamed at Oxford
  • Ham

To clarify:

I'm not suggesting you don't have the right (or are necessarily wrong) to criticise decisions the club make regarding youth players; I'm only saying that, imo, the club are committed to trying to bring on young players.

It's a bit like the transfer argument: if people think our transfers have been rubbish, that's fair enough (even if I disagree), but if people say the club aren't spending proper money on transfers, then I think that is simply ignoring the facts.
  • edited May 2017
    Grey im not suggesting that the club are not to commited to bringing on youth players ive simply shown Daves imo strange tweet and also highlighted the Calleri Martinez situation that I feel strongly about and imo makes no sense. Alderz, Martinez has made 14 appearances for Oxford and Calleri 15 for West Ham. Imo Calleri has had loads of chances. I mean Zaza (an actual international) played 8 times for us and then was shipped out as he was deemed not good enough.

I also get that not many teenagers hold down regular spots in the Prem but as I say I think its a bit of an odd tweet , especially as most of our young players are on twitter. Not the most motivational of things to say.
  • Hamstew said:

I think its a bit of an odd tweet , especially as most of our young players are on twitter. Not the most motivational of things to say.

^This^

I'm not against the chairmen in general but he simply should not be saying something like this.

Gold needs to be mentally stronger and not respond to these tweets, unless he genuinely thinks it's fine to say these sorts of things about our players publicly.
  • But it's not like the Academy players aren't aware of the difficulties.
  • I agree with Ham ;ok
  • edited May 2017
    MrsGrey said:

But it's not like the Academy players aren't aware of the difficulties.

But telling someone who's obese and knows they are obese, that they're obese, probably won't make them feel better, regardless of whether they already know it.
  • Yea it's just an unnecessary comment
  • A comment (by DG) which has zero percent chance of having any benefit whatsoever and more than likely would do the opposite.
  • Declan Rice has been called up into the Ireland squad for the World Cup qualifier against Austria. ;clap

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40011682
  • ;nonono

;clap