Academy and Development Squad Developments 2017-18

Comments

• Reece Oxford got 20 minutes at the end of Reading's win over Leeds at the weekend (third time in a row he's made it onto the pitch) and got his head stamped on.

Maybe that's what Stam meant by not being up to speed in training.
  • The stamper is being charged with violent conduct by the FA.
  • 6 match ban.

#dirtylids
  • Josh Cullen 21 today ;ok
  • U23s won 4-0 tonight. Holland and Samuelsen looked very good by all accounts, the former with a goal and an assist and the latter with a double.

Hopefully we'll be mathematically safe in a couple of games time so these lads can get a first team run out.
  • Reece Oxford back to sitting on the Reading bench, Reece Burke got a game with Wigan after a four month absence and Cullen won a penalty in Bradford's 3-0 win over Wimbledon that secured their place in the playoffs.

Wembley beckons, young Josh and it could be against the M...scum, if it was I'd even wear a Bantams shirt for the day
  • Cullen also won 4 awards at the Bradford player of the year night.
  • As an outsider looking in, it seems that only Cullen's loan has really been a success. Burke's might have been, but for injury.
  • So there is not much more he can do on loan there. Surely he deserves a chance.
  • Unless Bradford go up a season in the Champo might be beneficial ?
  • If Bradford go up I would probably want him back there for one more year. He's only just 21, so it's not like its last chance saloon. He would then come back as a 22 year old with three years experience as a professional footballer, basically being the star player at the club.

If they don't go up, I would be cautious, because there's no point in him going to a Championship side if he isn't going to play.
  • Also, MrsGrey, I think there is an argument that George Dobson's loan at Walsall has been a success too. 23 appearances in all competitions (12 starts), 1 goal. Not bad at 19.
  • These are the loans we've had this seasaon:

- Stephen Hendrie (22) to Blackburn Rovers, 7 appearances. Hasn't been in the matchday squad since he came on as sub in September.

- George Dobson (19) to Walsall, 23 apps 1 goal

- Kyle Knoyle (20) to Wigan Athletic, 1 sub appearance, loan terminated early

- Josh Cullen (20) to Bradford, 43 appearances, 1 goal, 40 league starts.

- Josh Pask (19) to Gillingham, 15 apps incl 12 starts. Only a 3 month loan that ended in November

- Martin Samuelsen (20) to Blackburn Rovers, 4 appearances, loan ended early.

- Reece Burke (20) to Wigan Athletic, 9 league starts 1 goal. Probably would have had a lot more game time had he not had so many injuries this year

- Martin Samuelsen (20) to Peterborough United, 12 appearances 1 goal, only 4 starts this year. I think he's still out on loan but is allowed to play for our U23s

- Alex Pike (20) to Cheltenham Town, 5 appearances (all starts), but not in the matchday squad for the last 12 games

- Marcus Brown (19) to Wigan Athletic, 1 sub appearance in the cup. Only made the bench 3 times out of 18 possible league games.

- Toni Martinez (19) to Oxford United. 2 goals in 2 FA Cup games, 1 in 15 in the league (8 starts 7 sub)

- Reece Oxford (18) to Reading. 2 starts, 3 sub appearances. Had just gotten into the starting XI when they lost 7-1 to Reading and hasn't featured in the subsequent 3 games.
  • alderz said:

Also, MrsGrey, I think there is an argument that George Dobson's loan at Walsall has been a success too. 23 appearances in all competitions (12 starts), 1 goal. Not bad at 19.

;ok I'd agree with that.
  • Isn't the loan rule that you can only stay on loan at a club for 2 years? ;hmm

If so Cullens time will be up.
  • ive never heard that rule before ;hmm
  • I suppose there must be some legislation, due to a club being able to keep loaning a player to a club for five or six years straight and the club benefitting without any financial output?
  • I just looked in the EFL handbook, and there is nothing I can see in the section on loans that says there is an upper limit
  • Ok, and a bit of Googling tells me that Courtois spent 3 years on loan at Atletico, and Alex was on loan at PSV for 3 years too. The Reddit thread I was reading has three different theories on the rules, but there are no links to anything official:

1. There is a three year limit
    2. There is a three year limit per contract with the parent club (i.e. if they sign a new deal with the parent club it starts from 0 again)
    3. There is no such rule

I've also just read this article in the Sun that mentions that Leicester signed a player on loan from Udinese in January who was only on loan at Udinese from Grenada. Apparently he was on a three year loan, and any loan longer than 12 months is treated as a permanent transfer by FIFA.
  • I may be in the minority but I think that Cullen has more than done his time in the lower leagues and should definitely be in our first team squad next season.
  • I don't disagree with that, but I don't want him to come back and sit on the bench 35 next season when he could be getting 40+ championship games under his belt with Bradford (potentially)
  • Toni Martinez just tweeted his farewell to Oxford United, so I guess that's the end of his loan. (Naturally, or recalled early, I don't know.)
  • MrsG - Martinez has missed the last three games with a knee injury, Sunday is the final day in League One and Oxford are 4 points off the last playoff spot so not much point in him staying.
  • ;ok I thought League 1 had a bit longer to go, but hadn't checked.
  • off to Ebbsfleet Saturday to hopefully see them promoted though need a result to go Ebbsfleets way coupled with a win to do it. League 1 and 2 finish this week I believe, Champo the week after, PL 2 weeks after that ?
  • Its just League One that finishes this Sunday, League Two doesn't finish until Saturday 6th. The League One playoffs are Thursday 4th and Sunday 7th, they then have two weeks off before the Playoff Final on Saturday 20th.
  • edited April 2017
    Yeold,

I wouldn't let Suzanne hear you want the team managed by Alan Devonshire not to win the title! ;biggrin
  • Being to several Ebbsfleet games this year my local team (albeit Gillingham is closer but the owner is a crook) so will always support them :P Ebbsfleet beat Maidenhead away last week to get to this scenario on the last day :P
  • edited April 2017
    Not about our Academy, but interesting observations about Academy 'culture' from a very experienced player.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/27/steven-gerrard-showboating-academies-physical-liverpool