Academy and Development Squad Developments 2017-18

Comments

• http://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2017/may/25-may/david-gold-why-im-optimistic-next-season

Adding a bit more to the 140 characters.
    My point was a general observation about modern football, and the fact that it is far more difficult for 17 and 18 year-olds to establish themselves in top flight teams than it was maybe 20 or 30 years ago.

There is now so much pressure and scrutiny on the Premier League and, with most sides now full of international players, clubs have to be very careful not to heap too much on the shoulders of young players who are only just progressing from the Academy.

The pathway now for teenage players is to go out on loan to lower division clubs, where they can gain experience, grow stronger and more mature, and play regular senior football without the extreme pressure that comes with the Premier League. The hope is that they then come back and, by the age of 20 or 21, are ready to make that step up.

What I do believe is that, at West Ham, we have a group of very talented young players who have shown great progress in recent seasons and have a very bright future at our club. The likes of Reece Oxford, Reece Burke, Josh Cullen, Toni Martinez and Martin Samuelsen have all gained great experience out on loan, and I have every confidence and hope that they will break into the first team here in the future.

The Academy is a vital part of our structure – we have put a huge amount of care and investment into it in recent years, and nothing would give me greater pleasure than to see the next Mark Noble come through and build a successful career at London Stadium.

• Now that is fair enough and what most of us on this forum knew he meant. However, the little snippet he put on twitter was always going to be mis-interpreted and deemed offensive by some and potentially demoralising without the explanation. He needs to be more careful over what he posts on twitter. Everyone associated with the club needs to be.
  • Mr G is busy tonight on twitter....

We think we have the best group of teenagers for over a decade. Time will tell. dg
  • Grey ;ok

Even if he doesn't get much game time you'd have thought he will learn an awful lot living abroad for a year. I've seen things saying he lacks a bit of maturity (as you might expect for an 18 year old), so this could be a good growing opportunity for him. I feel like this will be good for his development either way.
  • edited June 2017
    Quick one on Reece Burke's rumoured loan move to Bolton.

Their manager (Parkinson) was the guy who signed him initially on loan at Bradford. So a nice link there and obviously knows what Reece brings to the table. ;ok
  • http://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2017/july/16-july/george-dobson-leaves-club-sparta-rotterdam

Leaves after 2 years, still only 19 ;nonono

Presumably he's joining their youth setup?
  • Sparta Rotterdam missed relegation on goal difference (34pts from 34, -19 gd while the other team was -27).

Apart from three or four teams the Eredivise is Championship level so Sparta are level with Nottingham Forest.

Dobson could well be first team for them
  • MrsGrey said:

http://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2017/july/16-july/george-dobson-leaves-club-sparta-rotterdam

Leaves after 2 years, still only 19 ;nonono

Presumably he's joining their youth setup?

Another youngster with promise being sold on after not living up the hype. Tough to break through lately. It is a shame as I love cheering on a youngster breaking into the side.
  • Samuelsen mystery solved. Played 25 minutes in a 5-1 win for the U23s
    Norway winger Martin Samuelsen was also in action following off-season surgery to rectify a breathing issue, winning the penalty successfully converted by Toulon Tournament winner Kemp.
    Read more at http://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2017/july/27-july/five-star-hammers-u23s-win-slovakia#wye7DyH2RRW39oxj.99
  • Not sure if mentioned but our former player Jordan Spence joined Ipswich over the summer. Played 90 at CB in their 1-0 win over Brum at the weekend. ;ok
  • Sears missed a sitter in that game...
  • edited August 2017
    Looking at Bolton forums seems they are impressed with Cullen and Burke. Bolton were better defensively when Burke came on offered pace and creativity from the back. Cullen started poor but grew into the game, a bit light weight but glimpses of quality that will grow throughout the season.

Hopefully they can rack up the minutes.
  • Lukerz ;ok

Good news. I think Spence had a period of being without a club after he was released at the end of the (?) season before last and I was worried that his career was over.

Good luck to him.
  • That would be crazy unless his head's gone. Spence looked very assured against Man U in both games he played against them (if I'm remembering rightly). He easily has a career in the championship/low prem.

I was looking at Bolton comments too. They were very critical of Cullen at half time but at full time it was looking a lot more positive. Comments around Burke were all very positive. They seem to unanimously think he should be starting and with two defenders getting injured in that game, it seems he'll get the chance.
  • Surely they've only been there no more tan a week think it's understandable Cullen may not be up to full speed but glad he had a better 2nd half

At least we know they are going.to get plenty of game time which is sometimes not always guaranteed with loanees (see Samuelson and Browne last year)
  • and Burke replacing Wheater (their captain) and fans of Bolton wanting Burke to stay in the team.
  • Leo Chambers has signed for Billericay, according to the BBC article about Jermaine Pennant
  • Looking forward to the Billericay friendly tonight see a few of our younger players and see if konchesky can still play abit
  • Decent game but was men against boys Billericay fielding a strong team including pennant who were physically too strong for West Ham youngsters I did nt see the team sheet but did not recongnise any West Ham players . The keeper made some excellent saves Billericay ran out 3-1 winners in front of an impressive 4522 . Sullivan was in attendance .
  • Cheers, PLF ;ok
  • edited August 2017
    Shame Sakho and Reid didn't get anothe run-out. Unless they were the trialists and everyone was paid to keep schtum. Had read Sakho might get game time on Tuesday. Do we have any more friendly/youth games they could play in?
  • That was the final U23 pre-season game, Moore_than. They play a 'proper' match in Friday against the Everton kids.

Just for info, Samuelson played in that Billericay game, and our GK was Nathan Trott who had been with the 1st team and seems to be quite highly thought of.
  • Thanks MrsGrey.

Actually I also read somewhere that Sakho's return date was pencilled in for the first home game, against Hull. I think AC was aiming for that one too. I have a good feeling about both of them for this season. I suppose they can play "proper" U23 games too, can't they? Is there an allowance for over 23s?
  • 2 over 23's I think. Unless they've changed the rules.
  • http://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2017/august/09-august/paul-konchesky-back-chadwell-heath

I hadn't realised he was getting involved a bit with the youth coaching.

Nice to see the club helping former players with career development.
  • Burke starts tonight for Bolton. No sign of Cullen.
  • Antonio and Saed meant to be playing against everton u23s