Euro 2024

Comments

• Slovenia hold Portugal 0-0 in 90 minutes. Then Portugal get a penalty just before half time in extra time, and Ronaldo has it saved 😂🤣😂. Will it go all the way to penalties? 15 minutes will tell.
  • Huge chance for Slovenia after a mistake by Pepe, but the keeper saves with the Slovenia player clean through.
  • Penalties it is then.
  • Slovenia miss their first 2 penalties, with Ronaldo scoring in between.
  • Make that they miss their first 3 penalties.
  • And Portugal score their first 3 penalties and go through to meet France in the quarter finals.
  • Well that was fun except the ending
  • Kutching you’re stretching it a bit. Moore was given the captaincy in 1964.
    Wingers were played in the Uruguay game but didn’t work so that’s when Ramsey changed things and brought in Peters for Connelly. Ball was already #7
    The team only changed again when Greaves got injured.
    The thing with Ramsey was if things were working he left alone but if they weren’t he changed.

Ramsey first used the "wingless wonders" with Ipswich and he'd tried it out in the pre-World Cup friendlies.

Armfield recovered and was in the 1966 squad but only played two friendlies when Moore was unavailable.

Ball was dropped along with Connelly for the second match against Mexico with Peters and Terry Paine replacing them. Paine was replaced by Ian Callaghan for the final group match against France with Ball coming back in for the knockouts.

Hurst got his first cap in February 1966, scored his first goal in April, played three games alongside Roger Hunt and two with Jimmy Greaves. Ramsey was already experimenting with striker combinations
  • Commentary I did not expect - watching France vs Belgium “” all Domenico Tredesco has done is turn K. De Bruyne into Kalvin Phillips”

Well it made me smile
  • Turkiye 2-0 up on Austria!
  • Turkey currently 2-0 up against Austria, didn't see that coming.
  • Nobody did, methinks.
  • Ooh, Austria get one back.
    Lively.
  • At last a football game you can get into .up till now just a big euro yawn .From so called worlds best players
  • edited July 2
    What a save by the Turkey keeper with seconds remaining.

All over, 2-1 to Turkey.
  • Great game to watch
  • Two teams who gave it their all from first whistle to last, end to end stuff. Best game so far by a country mile Goes a little way to eradicating the England borefests from your mind.
  • That has to be the save of the tournament so far. Not necessarily the most challenging ( 3 pens, really?!) but for what was depending on it.
  • This is an accurate assessment in my view but I don't think Southgate is courageous enough to make that call. It speaks of how static Kane is and how few runs he makes.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/other/kane-told-he-s-england-s-main-problem-with-southgate-urged-to-axe-tap-in-merchant-for-euro-2024-quarter-final/ar-BB1pjKga?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=EDGEESS&cvid=c72e4777cb9c4ee597467c756b7a3c6f&ei=187

• Obviously too Kane is a trophy jinx so for that reason alone he should be benched
  • Dropping Kane is a step forwar dbut the real issues here is Southgate himself

Fundamentally the team shape and style is completely wrong and blaming Kane, who is picked by Southgate, only seems like a bit of a cop out

I do agree Kane needs to be dropped, but he isn't the only one

But doesn't matter who is on the pitch if their is no game plan, or no ability.to change the momentum of a game.

Southgate banks on individual brilliance game in game out, sometimes Kane is that individual tbf to Harry, and that isn't sustainable for this level
  • Dropping Kane is a step forwar dbut the real issues here is Southgate himself

Fundamentally the team shape and style is completely wrong and blaming Kane, who is picked by Southgate, only seems like a bit of a cop out

But doesn't matter who is on the pitch if their is no game plan, or no ability.to change the momentum of a game.

Southgate banks on individual brilliance game in game out, sometimes Kane is that individual tbf to Harry, and that isn't sustainable for this level

Out of interest, what is the correct team shape and style, and what should be the game plan?

• Slacker said:

Dropping Kane is a step forwar dbut the real issues here is Southgate himself

Out of interest, what is the correct team shape and style, and what should be the game plan?

I think Gareth knows but I don't think anybody else does hahaha
  • For me the key things are not being so static and moving the ball faster.

I want to see Tony up front with Eze and Sakho on the wings and Bellingham coming from deeper to capitalise on the movement and intensity of those three. I also want Rice to not sit deep but carry the ball forward and draw players onto his forward movement rather than sit sweeping up and playing six yard sideways passes.

I think we had so few chances in the games so far as we have played teams who considered themselves underdogs and defended, we allowed them to keep their defensive shape just as Moyes likes to, so when they lose the ball they immediately get into their drilled shape. The way to cause them problems is to move it quicker and more directly forward as by the time you have had a look and played that sideways pass they are back into their shape.

I then want subs used better and earlier if we need change the game and in attack we have Palmer, Bowen, Kane to bring further intensity once Eze, Sako and Tony have run themselves into the ground.

At present I find the problem that we build too slowly allowing the defence to reset whilst we take three or four six yard passes, Kane is too static and not making runs to drag them out of that shape.

I do feel we may fare better when we play better teams as they won't play like underdogs and will be looking at using their midfield to attack rather than defend which may open things up for us. But in the matches so far is summarising one problem I would say too much time taken to attack allowing a well drilled reset of defence.
  • Slacker said:

Give me £5mil a year like Gareth and I'll let you know :p

Bringing a left back who is, you know, a left back probably wouldn't be a bad start
  • Slacker said:

Bringing a left back who is, you know, a left back probably wouldn't be a bad start
    Blimey that’s insightful.You should definitely apply.👍
  • Slacker said:

Slacker said:

Blimey that’s insightful.You should definitely apply.👍
    Are you Southgate in disguise?
  • Definitely think Kane as a 'finisher` rather than a starter would see his lack of movement not be a concern. I think Toney is a very good target man plus Watkins always unsettles

I'd like Palmer to start too....
  • Kane has scored 60 goals under Southgate. IMO, he has to play. If he looks ineffective it’s because people aren’t running beyond him, and that should be the priority to resolve.