Euro 2024

1121314151618»

Comments

• Klopp or Poch for me.

They both know how to manage big names and high quality players

Eddie Howe and Potter are not good enough for me.

Carsley would be a safe bet for the FA like Southgate was.

• edited July 16
    I think that keeping someone who is part of the current England set up has obvious advantages. It's been made clear that the coaching through the year groups is being done to fit a coherent system, so youth players coming through can transition to senior squad.

Disadvantage of bringing in a manager who wants to implement a new system at all age groups - how long will it take to get that system working effectively?

Especially as a country manager has relatively little time each season with his squad, compared to the time they get at club level ( every day, pretty much) to get players used to the 'new' system and formation that is now de rigeur.

For me, Potter is characterised by teams that don't score goals, so he's a no.

Pep, as being suggested elsewhere - maybe after Carsley has held the fort - not for me. Although it would be interesting to see how he gets on if he has a fixed pool of players to choose from - no transfers!

St Eddie of football, could be interesting. My hatred is based on the media portrayal, not the guy himself.
  • So if Luis de la Fuente Castillo were to be the new manager, you'd still reckon that?

If there was any chance of de la Fuente being England manager I might reconsider

But there isn't

So I won't

It's called realism and I'm a big fan

We've had incredible success under Southgate, two Euro finals, semi final and quarter final in the World Cup

I'm not going to expect anything better under the new boss so if/when it all goes horribly wrong I won't be disappointed
  • Howe would be my pick, but I think Newcastle may not let him go. Pep is pie in the sky in my view, Klopp would be good but unlikely even though available. As for Poch I think he would be good but the Argentina thing would stop him I think, I can't imagine a World Cup with an Argentinian managing England, he'd probably never be able set foot in in Argentina again.
  • From Twitter
    Apparently, when Gareth passed his resignation to the FA, they passed it back, he then passed it sideways to Bellingham, who fed Kane, who then passed it to the keeper.

https://x.com/PaulEmbery/status/1812887851442503891

The training ground worked short corner that ended all the way back to Pickford has been taken down.
  • edited July 17
    ASLEF

"We've had incredible success under Southgate, two Euro finals, semi final and quarter final in the World Cup".

Those are achievements, you can't call them successes as he's not won anything. Of course, only my opinion.
  • You say tomato and I say tomato

Southgate had more success/achieved more than any other England manager apart from Ramsey
  • Quote from Graeme Souness:

"I did some research and found that Declan Rice only completed one forward pass against Spain. One completed forward pass in 90 minutes for a midfield player… that’s impossible!"

Unbelievable really if that's correct.
  • So has Southgate killed Rice .
  • Mullered is what I heard..
  • There’s still a good paella in there I think…
  • Quote from Graeme Souness:

"I did some research and found that Declan Rice only completed one forward pass against Spain. One completed forward pass in 90 minutes for a midfield player… that’s impossible!"

Unbelievable really if that's correct.

I felt Rice was possibly the player that suffered most under Southgate, he is a player that has attacking threat, can carry the ball forward and even finish when given the chance. To watch him reduced to almost an extra centre back and take the pace out of the attack with these sideways passes was disheartening. He would have really shaken up the earlier game if allowed to carry forward and remain further up filed.

He is a player you can ask to play deep and will offer the defence a lot of cover, but we didn't need be doing that every single match.
  • I wish there was more freedom for players to make decisions within the game.

Eddie Jones 'over - coached' the English Rubgy team when he was in charge. No player dared to play differently to how they were drilled.

Southgate's coaching seemed similar. A shame, as so many players for England if let loose could turn a game.

Rice is just one of those.

• Whilst true, Rice is also our only capable holding midfielder. People mocked Southgate for saying there’s no replacement for Phillips, but if there had been, Rice would probably have had licence to get forward more. If he goes forward as the only DM, we’re wildly open.
  • With that in mind, the lad from Palace was getting rave reviews in training earning the call up to the final squad. He's young but not as young as Mainoo who was trusted in the games
  • There was also huge clamour to try Trent in midfield, and Wharton has only had a handful of PL games. I personally think the sensible call was to use Rice as the DM in a high pressured environment
  • Someone had to play that role, and Rice was best suited to it. Yes, it's true that he has other facets to his game, but those are more easily matched by other players in the squad.
  • "the success of Sarina Wiegman in leading England’s women to win the 2022 European Championship was cited as a good precedent for considering a foreign manager."
    I'm sure we have had foreign managers, not sure they were good precedents though.

I'm ambivalent to the nationality of the manager. I just want someone who can take a very talented cohort to greater things playing decent football, a bit like West Ham really.
  • Personally, I feel that management team should also be from the country they represent. Same eligibility rules as players, IMO.