Euro 2024

Comments

• Never, ever, ever, ever a penalty. And Dumfries got booked, too. Staggering.
  • Always a penalty. Phillips got a second yellow for that at Sheff Utd for feathering the opposition player. Dumfries took a lump out of Kane.
  • That's scandalous! never a penalty.
  • IronHerb said:

Always a penalty. Phillips got a second yellow for that at Sheff Utd for feathering the opposition player. Dumfries took a lump out of Kane.

He put his foot up to block the shot. Kane kicked Dumfries boot. Never a penalty IMO.
  • Revenge for Koeman's foul in whenever it was when he escaped a red card against England. ;)
  • edited July 10
    Rice not having his best game.

Mainoo's touch is heavy again.
  • Given that he's been our most dangerous player in the tournament so far, I don't understand why we've not tried to use Saka more.
  • England have looked really good for the first time this tournament

• He put his foot up to block the shot. Kane kicked Dumfries boot. Never a penalty IMO.

Dumfries was late to the ball and reckless.

• I think we looked much improved that half. I think the penalty is one of those where I understand the decision, but if it was against us I’d be livid
  • A much improved performance and that early goal may have served us well, we are dominant and look dangerous. It's important they keep attacking in numbers still and don't allow the match to drift to extra time and penalties. We have more goals in us but need to press forward for them. Foden, much better and Mainoo looking good also.

I hope the ref doesn't realise he has made a monumental mistake at half time and starts trying to even things up!

It bears no resemblance to Phillips penalty against us as in that the guy put his leg in front of Phillips whose kick hit the leg, in this Kane had got the shot off and hit the guys foot that was raised for an attempted block. The dutch should be very aggrieved at that and the referees should be better at top tournaments.
  • IronHerb said:

He put his foot up to block the shot. Kane kicked Dumfries boot. Never a penalty IMO.

Dumfries was late to the ball and reckless.

Not for me. I don't think he was going for the ball; I think he was trying to block it. Missed the block and Kane kicked him.

If that's considered reckless then I think that's me done with the game.
  • When trying to block a shot is considered by some to be reckless then it’s time to stop watching football.
  • Nothing to do with penalty v Newcastle. The second yellow at Forest.

Even Wrighty thought it was reckless. 🤷‍♂️
  • I don't see it as a block. He was going for the ball with studs up, so what happened was always a risk. The most unlucky thing is that things are often let go after the shot is taken, but free kick anywhere else on the pitch.
  • We have dropped deep again since half time, I imagine Southgate told them to take it easy as we are not losing! Time to make some subs, Kane doing nothing again, no running and getting dispossessed when given to his feet. Palmer and Tony on for me before the game drifts away or we get caught late, we have to begin to drive forward again.
  • We seem to have run out of ideas. Time for a change.
  • Lot of minutes on the legs of the players on the pitch at the moment, it's all gone very flat
  • Tight offside, but better

Foden/Kane off for Watkins/Palmer

Smart move
  • I would have taken Bellingham off instead of Foden.
  • MIAHammer said:

I would have taken Bellingham off instead of Foden.

Seems untouchable, Bellingham

• MIAHammer said:

I would have taken Bellingham off instead of Foden.

Seems untouchable, Bellingham
    Appears to be.
  • Cracking finish by Watkins, I thought he had no chance of scoring from there.
  • So much better with a forward who can run.
  • Good changes from the manager, great goal to win it
  • Thoroughly deserved. We were really good in the first half and the Dutch changed to stop our flow in the second. Inspired substitutions by Southgate, so chuffed for him.
  • I would hope that Watkins showed he must start the final, there isn't an argument I can see that Kane should keep his starting place. My fear is that Spain are the best side I have seen in the games so far and they could easily get too far ahead before Southgate's substitutes, if it takes him 80 mins to pluck up the courage to sub his captain it may have gone beyond us by that time.

• Virtually every substitution Southgate has made has pretty much worked.
  • It won’t happen but I really wish Southgate would start Palmer.
  • But he has made them far too late, we nearly ran out of time against Slovakia, Switzerland took us to penalties. The subs have always made a positive difference yet he insists on starting a team that doesn't impress, then changes it very late on and gets out of jail. My point is that Spain could be long gone before he does what every fan and pundit seem to recognise needs to happen.

I hope I am wrong and I would be so happy for Southgate if the players could rescue him once again and win the trophy, but I fear he will start the same team, it will not work and Spain will get two up and he will do what he needs to do too late and a huge chance will have slipped away. What I would like to see is him recognise that there has been not one match when Kane has made a positive contribution regard threat to the opposition, he has Watkins and Tony who will offer more and should start one of them, after tonight it's Watkins that deserves the chance in my view. Shaw and Palmer should also start, but it's Kane who is offering least in the starting eleven at present in my view.