Euro 2024

Comments

• Watkins is a player who will harass you and cause mistakes. He presses well and gets into dangerous positions whether he plays left or central. Really happy for him and obviously all of us watching 😄
  • He does have a lot to his game and that's what we need. Kane is too static. It's not easy to find what Kane is doing as he is not getting off shots, not making runs, not holding the ball up and when you give it to him at feet he is getting dispossessed a lot. He is a great finisher but at present it'a amounting to hanging around hoping the ball drops for him and that isn't enough in my view.

I would have Kane as the sub to use if we go behind with half an hour to go and use him with Watkins or Tony, as they alongside him may just pull the defence out of shape enough to get him into a finishing position.
  • I thought we looked really strong in the first half, and I personally have no issue with starting with the same side again on Sunday. People can complain about Kane all they like but he’s joint top scorer in the tournament.
  • But he has made them far too late, we nearly ran out of time against Slovakia, Switzerland took us to penalties.

So… he didn’t do it too late then…?
  • You’ve gotta feel for Southgate. When England don’t get the result he’s useless, and when they do he could have done it better.
  • When trying to block a shot is considered by some to be reckless then it’s time to stop watching football.

So a studs up hit on the ankle after the ball has gone isn't reckless? Hmmm.
  • Kane kicked his foot not the other way round. You try sticking your leg out to block a shot but point your toes to the ground. Despite all his rolling around he soon jumped up when the penalty was awarded. What happened to the 30 second rule off the pitch after receiving treatment.
  • edited July 11

You’ve gotta feel for Southgate*. When England * don’t get the result he’s useless, and when they do he could have done it better.

*Other managers are available
    * Insert name of club/country here.
  • You’ve gotta feel for Southgate. When England don’t get the result he’s useless, and when they do he could have done it better.

There’s a section of fans who’ll never accept him ( you can insert Moyes here) no matter what he achieves.What he’s done over the past few tournaments has been exceptional but they still don’t accept him.
    He seems to me to have sussed tournament football, it doesn’t really matter how you start it’s about how you finish.
    For the players, for the fans but more for him I so want us to win this tournament.

• alderz said:

But he has made them far too late, we nearly ran out of time against Slovakia, Switzerland took us to penalties.

He got out of jail with a moment of brilliance from Bellingham in the 92nd minute after bringing Tony on 2 minutes previously. If that is tactical brilliance and grasping the idea of using subs to change games then he is a genius. I personally think he got bailed out by an exceptional player. It is possible the majority of fans and virtually all the pundits are wrong and Gareth is right but I doubt it. Winning despite him in my book rather than because of him.
  • I'd start Shaw in the final and keep the rest of the team as is.
  • edited July 11

I'd start Shaw in the final and keep the rest of the team as is.

I suspect that's what Southgate will do.

• edited July 11

I'd start Shaw in the final and keep the rest of the team as is.

Shaw replacing Trippier at half time is a pretty heavy hint that he’ll return to the starting XI on Sunday
  • alderz said:

But he has made them far too late, we nearly ran out of time against Slovakia, Switzerland took us to penalties.

He got out of jail with a moment of brilliance from Bellingham in the 92nd minute after bringing Tony on 2 minutes previously. If that is tactical brilliance and grasping the idea of using subs to change games then he is a genius. I personally think he got bailed out by an exceptional player. It is possible the majority of fans and virtually all the pundits are wrong and Gareth is right but I doubt it. Winning despite him in my book rather than because of him.
    But you see that objectively it’s not “too late” if the desired outcome happened, right? If we had run out of time to score, then yeah sure. But we didn’t. Because it wasn’t too late.

Call him wrong all you want. 3 semi finals and 2 finals in 4 tournaments. If you (the royal you) want to be focused on whether the manager is good rather than enjoying the fact we’re in a final then have fun with that.
  • alderz said:

alderz said:

But you see that objectively it’s not “too late” if the desired outcome happened, right? If we had run out of time to score, then yeah sure. But we didn’t. Because it wasn’t too late.

Call him wrong all you want. 3 semi finals and 2 finals in 4 tournaments. If you (the royal you) want to be focused on whether the manager is good rather than enjoying the fact we’re in a final then have fun with that.
    Of course I enjoy the fact we are in the final, I am delighted about it and despite my criticism of Southgate am also delighted for him as he comes across a thoroughly good human being and one of the guys you want to see win in life.

It's not just an empty debate regard whether the manager is good as it's within the context of whether we are playing to our best as we will need to sooner or later to win the matches to win the tournament. You seem to take the view that the results so far indicate he is doing great, and as such good at this management stuff. My view is that he is being fortunate to get those results and fortune runs out over time, and so I would like to see changes made to a set up that allows us to play as I believe we can before luck runs out. We have had a last minute piece of brilliance, a penalty save and a penalty given that most would agree should never have, I hope we have something like that in the final and we win, but I'd rather we field our best side so far and take the game to Spain, in my view our best side so far is only fielded after he makes substitutions and my fear is Spain may be out of sight before that happens and we start hitting back.

• I don’t think the performances are great (or even good in most cases), but I also watched Portugal and Greece win tournaments without playing well. My main feeling, though, is that the starting XI last night played the best football we’ve played all tournament. I want that to continue on Sunday. I like that we have loads of game changers off the bench, and I’m happy with how he’s using subs for the most part.
  • That is actually one of the things I would be happiest about regard a win, that it will produce a short feel good factor to accompany the removal of the Tory govt last week. It has been such a breath of fresh air to see a leader come in and approach the task with a view to hard work and listening rather than just a few populist slogans.
  • IronHerb said:

When trying to block a shot is considered by some to be reckless then it’s time to stop watching football.

Personally never thought it was a penalty, like many, many others ( pro's etc etc ), but we move on.....
  • IronHerb said:

When trying to block a shot is considered by some to be reckless then it’s time to stop watching football.

Personally never thought it was a penalty, like many, many others ( pro's etc etc ), but we move on.....
    Fair enough. Personally I thought it was a penalty, like many others.
  • Kane kicked his foot not the other way round. You try sticking your leg out to block a shot but point your toes to the ground. Despite all his rolling around he soon jumped up when the penalty was awarded. What happened to the 30 second rule off the pitch after receiving treatment.

He never received treatment.
  • He wasn’t injured then so why the rolling around. Simple cheating to get a penalty.
  • IronHerb said:

IronHerb said:

Fair enough. Personally I thought it was a penalty, like many others.
    I’m happy it was given , but the ‘many others’ IMO had their English glasses on 🤣🤣🤣
  • On a completely different note, England have come to the Euros with two kits but have never once worn their away kit.
    Now while I prefer white (or red) to the current purple shirt I do think it is stramge to expect the fans to splash the cash for a shirt which obviously hasn't even got past the unpacking stage.
  • Kane did mention his foot (that it was hurting) after the game finished. Ido think it hurt him (whether he kicked or whether it was Dumfries foot going in).

I'm in the it was a penalty club
  • So we got a good goal, good disallowed goal and dubious penalty to their good goal. I’d say we deserved the win.
  • Do you mean that the disallowed goal should not have been disallowed?
  • MrsGrey said:

Do you mean that the disallowed goal should not have been disallowed?

Oh no. Clearly offside, but good goal.
  • The ex FIFA referee and ‘VAR expert’ who had access to the reviews has said again that the VAR review failed to meet the criteria and thresholds required to determine a clear error and to suggest the referee go to the screen. She said according to the rules they shouldn’t have done that and she also said once the ref goes to the screen more than 90% of the reviews take the VAR response.
  • Aah, an expert.