Euro 2024

Comments

• alderz said:

Kane has scored 60 goals under Southgate. IMO, he has to play. If he looks ineffective it’s because people aren’t running beyond him, and that should be the priority to resolve.

Yes, but how many of those were penalties? How many against San Marino/andora/etc? How many from open play against top 50 teams?
  • Slacker said:

Slacker said:

Dropping Kane is a step forwar dbut the real issues here is Southgate himself

Fundamentally the team shape and style is completely wrong and blaming Kane, who is picked by Southgate, only seems like a bit of a cop out

I do agree Kane needs to be dropped, but he isn't the only one

But doesn't matter who is on the pitch if their is no game plan, or no ability.to change the momentum of a game.

Southgate banks on individual brilliance game in game out, sometimes Kane is that individual tbf to Harry, and that isn't sustainable for this level

Out of interest, what is the correct team shape and style, and what should be the game plan?

Give me £5mil a year like Gareth and I'll let you know :p

Bringing a left back who is, you know, a left back probably wouldn't be a bad start
    Blimey that’s insightful.You should definitely apply.👍
    Are you Southgate in disguise?
    I that would be silly wouldn’t it?
    I leave the tactics board to the many experts such as your good self.

• alderz said:

Kane has scored 60 goals under Southgate. IMO, he has to play. If he looks ineffective it’s because people aren’t running beyond him, and that should be the priority to resolve.

Yes, but how many of those were penalties? How many against San Marino/andora/etc? How many from open play against top 50 teams?
    Great questions. How about typing them into google?
  • alderz said:

alderz said:

Surely you have a spreadsheet with that information knocking about hahaha
  • alderz said:

alderz said:

Too lazy 🙄
  • A quick look at Kane's England goals

First goal scored 27/3/2015

65 Goals for England - 21 were penalties (25 attempts)
    10 Goals against what I would consider top opposition - 2 were tournament goals.

3 were friendlies 2x France 1 x Germany
    2 UEFA Nations league ( virtual friendlies) - Germany
    3 Euro Qualifying -Italy
    1 Euro Tournament - Germany
    1 World Cup Tournament - France

List of all teams scored against

San Marino 5
    Albania 4
    Bulgaria 4
    Germany 4
    Malta 4
    Montenegro 4
    France 3
    Italy 3
    Panama 3
    Ukraine 3
    Czech Republic 2
    Denmark 2
    Kosovo 2
    Lithuania 2
    North Macedonia 2
    Poland 2
    Scotland 2
    Switzerland 2
    Tunisia 2
    Andorra 1
    Bosnia and Herzegovina 1
    Colombia 1
    Croatia 1
    Hungary 1
    Nigeria 1
    Senegal 1
    Slovakia 1
    Slovenia 1
    Turkey 1
    Total 65

• Wow. Totally awesome dude!
  • Slacker said:

Slacker said:

Slacker said:

Fundamentally the team shape and style is completely wrong and blaming Kane, who is picked by Southgate, only seems like a bit of a cop out

But doesn't matter who is on the pitch if their is no game plan, or no ability.to change the momentum of a game.

Southgate banks on individual brilliance game in game out, sometimes Kane is that individual tbf to Harry, and that isn't sustainable for this level

Out of interest, what is the correct team shape and style, and what should be the game plan?

Bringing a left back who is, you know, a left back probably wouldn't be a bad start

Dw mate one day you'll get there 👍
  • Saw the last stages of the Spain game.

So much writhing, collapsing and - really - just trying to cheat.
  • MrsGrey said:

Saw the last stages of the Spain game.

I watched up until extra time, then put on the Tour de France highlights instead 😂🤣😂
  • I watched Emma demolish her opponent at Wimbledon. Amazing!
  • I was wondering why there was no penalty appeal when Germany hit the post, he got his shot away but the Spanish guy had handfuls of his shirt and was pulling him over,

All in all i think Germany were unlucky, they had another decent penalty shout denied when the ball clearly struck the hand when the arm was away from the body, definitely seen them given.
  • Watching France/portugal now. They keep passing the ball forward. I don’t understand.
  • Watching France/portugal now. They keep passing the ball forward. I don’t understand.

It's because they each have a player who is almost as good as Kalvin Phillips

He's the secret ingredient we are missing..... apparantly
  • I was wondering why there was no penalty appeal when Germany hit the post, he got his shot away but the Spanish guy had handfuls of his shirt and was pulling him over,

All in all i think Germany were unlucky, they had another decent penalty shout denied when the ball clearly struck the hand when the arm was away from the body, definitely seen them given.

It was Cucurella it hit wasn't it? It definitely looked like a pen as the rules are usually interpreted these days, I was surprised it wasn't given tbh.

• Portugal/France goes to penalties, let's hope it's time for Ronaldo to miss in the shoot out this time 🤞🤞🤞.
  • Portugal/France goes to penalties, let's hope it's time for Ronaldo to miss in the shoot out this time 🤞🤞🤞.

Not quite, but France go through anyway.
  • alderz said:

I get it but Toney is a target man that will hold up the ball and allow us to play off him as an option. Kanes tendency to drop back is both annoying and leaves nobody up top. I wouldn't mind both of them starting

It was Cucurella it hit wasn't it? It definitely looked like a pen as the rules are usually interpreted these days, I was surprised it wasn't given tbh.

Personally I can't see a reason not to give it unless it is because the Spanish player stepped to his side and his left arm was still inert and starting to move back to the body.

Allegedly there was also an offside involved but then Taylor should have blown for a free kick.

Regardless, I'm happy Germany are out, I wouldn't have heard the end of it had they won.
  • Slacker said:

Slacker said:

Slacker said:

Dw mate one day you'll get there 👍
    I could never really imagine what it would be like to reach those heights.

• Ah, but to dream ……..
  • MrsGrey said:

Saw the last stages of the Spain game.

I watched up until extra time, then put on the Tour de France highlights instead 😂🤣😂
    I watched a slug crawling across the patio, such yukky creatures. =)
  • edited July 6
    Southgate only makes 1 change from the Slovakia game, and it's an enforced change as Konsa comes in for the suspended Guehi.

Doesn't inspire much confidence in a good performance, does it?
  • Already waiting to see who he brings on as sub 😂
  • So much for all the talk about going with a back 3.
  • Bazshuayi said:

Already waiting to see who he brings on as sub 😂

You might find out in the 89th minute!
  • So much for all the talk about going with a back 3.

We are aren’t we?🤷🏻‍♂️

• Saka on the right, Tripper other left

Status quo resumes

Let's hope they at least have a plan today
  • Kane is doing nothing.