Euro 2024

Comments

• Even if it was true that not one of their players would oust any one from our team the clue is right there in that word. Switzerland and Austria both play as teams with every player there for each other. We play as a bunch of individuals with an attitude that suggests because we play in the PL we must be the best.
    Of all the teams in the Euros we are about 3rd best for successful passes but about 3rd worst for creating chances because we play mostly in our half across and back
  • I guess that's a management or tactics issue then if we have the players but can't get them to play as a team. I am sure we are not alone in that issue throughout international history.
  • Southgate showing he did nothing pre-tournament to work out his best team; he's starting with his third different player alongside Rice in 4 matches as Mainoo replaces Gallagher who replaced TAA. That's the only change he's made, despite the fact that we've only scored 2 goals in 3 matches.
  • Tripper playing Guehi in to trouble.
  • 2 into the book now.
  • Bellingham is a bit headless isn't he
  • A very poor half but the Slovakia tactics are about a fast press and they will get tired in the last twenty minutes. We will need make changes, Palmer, Bowen need to get on and Kane needs to either do more in the next 10 minutes or he needs lifting as well, a great finisher but doing nothing else. He is also not a Captain as we need now, time for Declan to step up and lead here.
  • Poor from Foden to go offside there
  • Saka at LB. 😯

• I’ve lost count of number of times back o goalkeeper.
  • Get Bowen on!
  • How have we only made one sub 😂
  • It's ridiculous.
  • Goodbye Gareth.
  • 94th minute equaliser. Only shot on target.
  • Question is…. Will we revert to nervy defending for 29 minutes now we are in front? I doooo hope not
  • Bazshuayi said:

Question is…. Will we revert to nervy defending for 29 minutes now we are in front? I doooo hope not

yes, yes we have
  • That was an awful performance, so few chances made, too easy to contain, hence the lack of shots on target. The lack of urgency in the final 20 minutes was exasperating, and Toney brought on with 2 minutes to go of extra time just showed a complete lack of awareness regard the use of subs to attempt to change a game trailing away from you in knockout competition.

It was a moment of brilliance from Bellingham that saved our tournament and Southgate from a heap of criticism and we must learn from that match. In my view Kane is only continuing to occupy his spot due to his status and although a superb finisher is way too pedestrian at present and not making runs and pulling people out of position. Foden also is not producing. We are also playing too many backward passes and not moving the ball fast enough forward which is allowing our opposition to get in and keep their shape. We may actually improve for better opposition who won't see themselves as underdogs and come at us more, but it's just as likely that better opposition will take us apart easily.

We live to fight again but we can't keep ignoring what's obvious to most fans and all the pundits, they can't all be wrong.

• So very fortunate - it must be written in the stars - just hope now that the Swiss roll over =)
  • Toney made a big difference when he came on.
  • Quick thinking to head the badly mishit shot across goal for Kane.
  • edited June 30
    https://x.com/LFCDrewski/status/1807456091476721903

I have just seen the Southgate interview where he says Toney was disgusted with me for bringing him on with two minutes to go, that's now the fans, the pundits and the players themselves that know what the problem is.
  • Can someone tell me How Bowen can get on for the first 2 games .and can't for the next 2 plus exter l time .thought he did okay .
  • I think it was Saka going to right back that meant he was reluctant to swap them this evening otherwise I think he would have.
  • Kanes play would make me irritated if I was Ollie Watkins because he does terroriser and pull defences apart and he can do it from the left wing too.

I really hope our lucky escape means something and it will lead to an improved performance level for the next game(s)
  • Regardless what happens in this tournament Southgate has to go. Too defensive and can’t decide what his best team is.
  • England won the World Cup by making enforced changes: Captain Armfield injured, so one Bobby Moore took over; Greaves injured so Hurst got his chance; wingers failed so Ball and Peters reinvented the way England played.
    Same thing happened in another when The Crab Wilkins was suspended and Lineker was reluctantly selected.
    My point is that England play better when winging it, using untried players who come good. Tony, Palmer, Mainoo...and Bowen, Gordon and Wharton all waiting for the chance.
  • I could easily see Tony up front , Eze and Sako on the wings with Bellingham arriving from deep as those three cause havoc. Then give Wharton a try alongside Dec. We would have Palmer, Bowen and Kane to come on as subs once Tony, Eze and Sako have run themselves into the ground for an hour. I really thought Eze did well, he was in attack when we were pushing forward and as soon as they got the ball he was back defending, great work rate.

I am sure Southgate will set up with Kane and Foden again however and yet expect a different performance to ones already experienced.
  • Kutching you’re stretching it a bit. Moore was given the captaincy in 1964.
    Wingers were played in the Uruguay game but didn’t work so that’s when Ramsey changed things and brought in Peters for Connelly. Ball was already #7
    The team only changed again when Greaves got injured.
    The thing with Ramsey was if things were working he left alone but if they weren’t he changed.
    Southgate doesn’t seem to know when things are or aren’t working. Nor does it seem do the players especially when Kane said the fans at home would have really enjoyed the game. Maybe 3 minutes of the 120+ yes but the rest everyone thought was dire.
  • I think this is what most are seeing

"I saw a team which are like lost souls. They don't seem to know what they are doing or how the team should be playing," Lineker told the Rest Is Football podcast he hosts with Alan Shearer and Micah Richards.

"The style is alien to most of them. I feel for the players a little bit. They are trying so hard, but they look a little bit lost.

"It must be tactical, it must be instructions because the players are playing differently to how they are used. It's baffling."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cx724wj72g7o