Summer Transfers 2024

Comments

• https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/67695345

Voted December 2023.

Not sure if it started from Winter transfer window or this summer.

You could probably Google it.
  • I think we lack a bit of quality in depth in certain areas. For example, you’d not want Cresswell playing too many games as a LB - one or two, fine, but not a significant number of matches. But we do have options all over the pitch now, even if we allow a CB, Ings & Cornet to move on.

We still don’t really have that Watkins/Toney/Isak type striker. That player who could get 15-20 goals a season. I feel Füllkrug is probably in that 10-15 region if he settles & has a good year, same as Antonio. CM wise, I do feel we lack a proper, powerful box-to-box player. I like Álvarez, but Souček/JWP/Rodríguez - I’m not so sure any of those are such top class that we will dominate games.

But that is being very picky. A great window on paper.
  • I too feel that Cresswell is a real weakness should Emerson get injured, but at least now we have options of trying Aguerd there (copying the trend of using CBs as FBs), or even AWB there with Coufal at RB.

Füllkrug is a signing that doesn't particularly excite me tbh; he feels too expensive for someone that I'm really not sure is going to work for us. I know we're looking to increase our possession (let's be honest, it couldn't get too much lower) but that doesn't mean we're going to be dominating games and I'm concerned his lack of genuine pace means he's not going to be particularly effective; I truly hope I'm wrong about him, as neither Antonio nor Ings are realistic alternatives as a starting CF, which would mean it would be Bowen. Whilst I've nothing against Bowen as an occasional CF, it will just feel so frustrating to, yet again, fail to sign an appropriate CF should Füllkrug not work out.

I also agree we may be lacking a "proper, powerful box-to-box player" as you put it, a Fofana (the Monaco version) if you will, and there's also an argument for Soler who would add some more creativity so we're not so dependent on Paqueta, especially as we can't be sure how available he'll be this season or going forward. Should either of those, or similar, players be signed you'd have to feel that, in particular, Soucek would be dropping down the ranking of our midfielders and could angle for a move to get more game time. I'm also not sure where Irving fits in, but kinda feel that he won't be an integral part of the squad this season with a loan perhaps more likely, either back to Austria or Germany (which would raise the question of why we signed him) or to the Championship to perhaps better gauge how PL ready he might be come January or next summer. The fact that he got bumped from his shirt number this morning kinda suggests he's pretty low down the pecking order.
  • If we are possession based then Fullkrug doesn't need to be pacey (we have others that'll go beyond him). He needs to hold it up well and distribute. He's good in the air and scores with both feet. From those in the know he cost just over 20M not the 27 quoted. Either way, that's not a lot of money for an experienced striker who has just come off a good season including internationally. I'm very hopeful he will do well. I wouldn't mind another striker too (a younger pacier one...)
  • Bazshuayi said:

If we are possession based then Fullkrug doesn't need to be pacey (we have others that'll go beyond him). He needs to hold it up well and distribute. He's good in the air and scores with both feet. From those in the know he cost just over 20M not the 27 quoted. Either way, that's not a lot of money for an experienced striker who has just come off a good season including internationally. I'm very hopeful he will do well. I wouldn't mind another striker too (a younger pacier one...)

That's a very big "if". We were in the region of 41% possession last season, so anything above 50% will represent a big change, but it's still hardly dominating possession, is it? That's my concern, just because we have a manager that likes more possession than Moyes doesn't mean we're suddenly going to have 60% possession and thus Füllkrug can just wait for crosses to come in.

I know I'm exaggerating just a tad, but my concern is that we could still end up relying on counter attacks in a lot of games and I'm not sure that will bring out the best in Füllkrug.

• edited August 14
    I am hoping Fullkrug will hold up play effectively allowing us an exit when under pressure. I also i think he will link up play when in possession higher up the field. From the highlights I have seen, he has a good touch, knows how to score, and also gets his share of assists.
  • If you see Fullkrug's goal in the Champions League semi-final against PSG, he makes a run off the shoulder of the last defender, the ball gets played out long, over the top from the centre back (Schlotterbeck, I think), and Fullkrug gets there to control it as it drops and smash it in on his weaker foot.

He's like this physical figure, he's 31, and he's said he likes to drop a little deeper into the hole sometimes. I think people have taken those three things, added them up and decided the guy can't run, but I'm not sure that's legitimate.
  • It's not that he can't run (he's no Zouma 😂🤣😂) but I don't think he's a particularly pacy player and I just feel that he's not going to be that effective for us. I obviously hope I'm wrong, but we don't have a great track record with signing strikers recently, do we? I know Steidten wanted him last summer but it didn't happen (Moyes wasn't keen?) and I just wonder if, given he's a year older and more expensive than he was available for last summer, Timmy has been a bit too stubborn on this one and it's not going to be a very good deal for us. Can't help feeling we've signed the German Danny Ings.
  • Just to say imo Antionio is not a 10-15 goals a season striker.
    He has 11 league goals all together in his last TWO seasons.
    Time to go for me.
    Sign a replacement and have Ings 3rd choice.
  • Ravel49 said:

Just to say imo Antionio is not a 10-15 goals a season striker.
    He has 11 league goals all together in his last TWO seasons.
    Time to go for me.
    Sign a replacement and have Ings 3rd choice.

Sell (pay off?) Ings, sign Duran, keep Antonio as a chaos agent from the bench.
  • Reports are that Duran wants to leave Villa for more playing time and he knows he won't get it while he's 2nd choice to Watkins

Now we've signed Fullkrug I'm not sure he'll be quite so keen on us. In fact signing Fullkrug might make it harder to sign another striker

Better keep Ings AND Antonio just in case Fullkrug gets injured
  • I was just doing a bit of FF tinkering and came across this bit of advice/reasoning.

There has been some speculation regarding Alphonse Areola's (£4.5m) future at the club, so it looks like Fabianski could potentially be a £4.0m starter by the end of the transfer window.

Have we heard about this?
  • According to a report from Arriyadiyah, Areola is a transfer target for Al lttihad, and the Saudi club could sign the Hammers stopper if they fail to get a deal for Manchester City ace Ederson over the line.

Both Hammers News and West Ham Zone ran with the above 3 weeks ago.
    Nothing more recent.

Whatever you do, do not type Areola into Twitter / X 🤢😂
  • Have we signed anyone today yet =)
  • Ravel49 said:

According to a report from Arriyadiyah, Areola is a transfer target for Al lttihad, and the Saudi club could sign the Hammers stopper if they fail to get a deal for Manchester City ace Ederson over the line.

Both Hammers News and West Ham Zone ran with the above 3 weeks ago.
    Nothing more recent.

Whatever you do, do not type Areola into Twitter / X 🤢😂

Isn't this old news?

They just signed a new keeper, Rajkovic.

Romano said that Ederson was off after they signed him, surely that applies to Areola as well or what's the point I signing Rajkovic
  • steve said:

Have we signed anyone today yet =)

No.. but Andy Irving has been given number 3️⃣9️⃣ 😰
    I know many were anxious after the Spider thieved it 🫨
  • Zouma awaiting for developments over West Ham exit
    More from Sky Sports News' Dharmesh Sheth:
    West Ham United defender Kurt Zouma remains in Dubai awaiting further developments over a potential move.
    A deal had been agreed with UAE club Shabab Al-Ahli – only for the move to break down after Zouma failed a medical.
    Talks have continued between the clubs to find a possible resolution.
    West Ham’s initial plan was to mutually terminate Zouma’s contract - which has a year to run - and allow him to join on a free transfer.
    Another option that has been mooted is to loan him to Shabab Al-Ahli and contribute to his wages.
    There are other clubs interested in Zouma and those options remain live.
  • West Ham remain in market for midfielder
    Latest from Sky Sports News' Dharmesh Sheth:
    West Ham have made eight signings in this window, and they may not be done yet.
    It’s understood they remain in the market for a midfielder if the deal is right.
    They made an ambitious attempt to sign N’Golo Kante last month.
  • So, imo, we need a RB and a starting CB to have a squad I'm reasonably happy with (although certain players such as Ings and Cornet could probably be lost without any impact at all to our season). Cresswell as back up LB I'm not thrilled about and, tbh, I hope we don't need to call on Fabianski too often, but we're a mid table team without European football so we can't expect 2 fantastic players in every position. Soucek really isn't a J-Lo type player, but I guess he offers a plan B. Wouldn't be averse to him moving on if he isn't happy with that sort of a role.

Said I on 6th August, so I guess I should be reasonably happy 😂🤣😂.

Would love Soler and a younger, faster option than Füllkrug up front still though, but I guess I'm being greedy.

• edited August 14

Saying that, it is very, very nearly a whole season in 2020/21, as the season started late due to the late finishing of the previous season because of the Covid break; however, the PL started on 12th September 2020, so still not quite a complete season for Summerville.

Having only just thought of the late season start, if they go by the PL squad registration date (although there's no reason why they should) then Summerville might qualify, as the squad isn't registered until after the transfer window has closed, which is obviously after he was transferred.

Equally though, as u21s don't need to be registered, it still should really go by the date he actually signed, which means he still isn't HG. I guess we might not know for sure until the end of the transfer window when such things as squad lists are published as they usually state which players qualify as HG.

Just to add further mud to an already unclear situation, it's now being suggested that he qualifies as HG:

"After his registration as a Premier League player he was confirmed he was eligible to be classed as home grown.

Although he joined a few days after the start of the 2020 season started, the definition was the end of the summer transfer window which in COVID period was 5 Oct.

His 21st birthday fell in October 2022 in his third
    season but the rules allow that season to be counted as long as he was a player at the end of that season."

He clearly doesn't qualify under "3 full seasons", but does under "3 full seasons less a bit at the start", but I haven't found that second definition in any of the rules and regs so far. It's not as if we ever muck up anything about eligible players is it, Manny Omoyinmi anyone.

It does make it an even better deal if he qualifies as HG though, doesn't it?
  • I believe the 25 man squad is submitted the day after the transfer window closes, both summer and winter. This being the case then it's the end of the window and not the start of the season that is the qualifying date.
  • Tim knows Fullkrugs qualities and I believe the manager is aware of what he will bring bearing in mind how the manager wants to play. I don't believe we would have bought him if he didn't suit it. I'm totally optimistic about him doing well.

I also would like another striker who is younger and I believe we should sell Antonio purely on the premise that other clubs want to buy him! Also want to state that I like Antonio and always have done so. He's been with us a long time and a great servant to the club
  • That wave at the end 😂
  • At 9 seconds in it looks he's, well I think you can see what I was thinking...😂

Good luck George.
  • West Ham have set their sights on a deal for Roma's Tammy Abraham with the Serie A club willing to sell the 26-year-old England striker for £25m. (Gazzetta dello Sport via Football Italia), external
  • 🛋️🫣

• Think Eze & Bruno Guimarães their top target according to a Man City "insider" who my mate says has a decent track record

So think Kudus & Paqueta are safe if that's what you're worried about
  • IronHerb said:

I believe the 25 man squad is submitted the day after the transfer window closes, both summer and winter. This being the case then it's the end of the window and not the start of the season that is the qualifying date.

So it would (maybe) seem, but if that's the case, then why not word the regulations accordingly; a whole season includes the very first game, not just games after the transfer window has closed.
  • West Ham interested in PSG midfielder Soler
    Latest from Sky Sports News' Dharmesh Sheth:
    West Ham are in the market to recruit a midfielder in the final two weeks of the transfer window.
    They are interested in Paris Saint Germain’s Carlos Soler.
    PSG understood to be open to selling the 27-year-old.
    The Spaniard made 12 starts in all competitions last season and he has three years left on his contract.
This discussion has been closed.