Summer Transfers 2024

Comments

• That’s a good shout tbf
  • Apart from the ACL, only 1 resulted in a loss of more than 3 games. Compared to a good many of our signings, that's a pretty decent injury record imo.
  • Emery: I believe in Duran and want him to stay
    Aston Villa head coach Unai Emery says he wants to keep Jhon Duran after the forward scored the winner against West Ham - the club who have tried to sign him this summer.
    Duran was given a talking to by Emery after posting on social media an image of him appearing to make the Hammers' 'Irons' sign but the Villa boss is backing him to succeed with his current club.
    "We believe in him [Duran], his potential," said Emery. "Always we are open to work with him. Today he helped the team, today was fantastic. We prepared the plan to use both Watkins and Duran across 90 minutes and they did fantastic work.
    "Sometimes it's difficult to accept some mistakes but in cases like that, very young player, very passionate... he wants to show how he is. He has a strong energy and is wishing to do everything. Sometimes he has to get balance in everything. I'm committed to get the best out of him as a player and person. I want him here. Nothing has changed. I want to keep him here."
  • I’m not just saying this after yesterday, but Duran was the player we wanted this summer. He is the Antonio replacement.
  • Well it looks like he’s staying at the Villa
    All previous Villa posts restored and unhidden from the grid too.

• I wonder 🧐

#speculating
  • edited August 18
    Our biggest obvious problem yesterday was a CM who could control the game. We know Paqueta can change a game, but rarely controls it. Soucek is a blocker who needs a controller next to him. Rodriguez could do the job, but will need someone stronger next to him.

The number of times Villa caught us on the break was worrying.

We need another CM.
  • edited August 18
    Yesterday stats for those 3 MF players

touches/pass accuracy/ key passes/shots/aerials won

Soucek 28 - 66% - 2 - 5- 6
    Rodriguez 71 - 87% 0 - 1-0
    Paqueta 56 - 80% - 0 - 1 (the penalty, so really=0) - 1

Soucek had less of the ball but tried to do more with it, presumably boss's orders.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1821057/LiveStatistics/England-Premier-League-2024-2025-West-Ham-Aston-Villa
    Stats from whoscored

Everybody was a bit underwhelming, for me. Emerson leads on pass accuracy. The 2 CBs made a fair number of clearances. Kilman likes a long ball (to Soucek, mainly ;hmm)
  • Watching the Chelsea game, and reading a bit about their new players.

Saw this crazy factoid: They have a squad of 40 senior players.

What is going on there?
  • Dunno, but Sterling doesn’t seem happy 🤪
  • MrsGrey said:

Watching the Chelsea game, and reading a bit about their new players.

Saw this crazy factoid: They have a squad of 40 senior players.

What is going on there?

I heard a good stat on a podcast. Chelsea have made 32 senior signings in 2 years. If you go back 32 signings for Liverpool, it’s Joe Gomez in 2015. (And I’ll check who it was for West Ham tomorrow)
  • I think this was done on Twitter recently. Pretty sure it's Ryan Fredericks.
  • I think this was done on Twitter recently. Pretty sure it's Ryan Fredericks.

I just checked my spreadsheet, and if you include loans, I make it Coufal (2nd October 2020). If you don't, I make it David Martin (3rd June 2019).

I'm counting Ajeti and Guilherme as first team signings, btw, as we paid a lot for each of them.
  • Todd Boehly has spent more money on signings for Chelsea in 2 and a bit years than Everton have made in their entire history hahaha
  • West Ham in talks with PSG to sign Soler
    Latest from Sky Sports News' Dharmesh Sheth:
    West Ham United are in talks with Paris Saint Germain over the signing of midfielder Carlos Soler.
    Soler was an unused substitute for PSG in their opening Ligue 1 match at Le Havre on Friday.
    PSG are understood to be open to selling Soler, who made 12 starts in all competitions last season.
    Soler has three years left on his contract.
  • Ravel49 said:

West Ham in talks with PSG to sign Soler
    West Ham United are in talks with Paris Saint Germain over the signing of midfielder Carlos Soler.
    Soler was an unused substitute for PSG in their opening Ligue 1 match at Le Havre on Friday.
    PSG are understood to be open to selling Soler, who made 12 starts in all competitions last season.
    Soler has three years left on his contract.

Ravel could you be a little more precise with your information please. 😉

• Zouma remains in transfer limbo
    Former West Ham captain Kurt Zouma is still in limbo as he remains in Dubai with no clarity on his next club.
    A proposed move to UAE club Shabab Al-Ahli broke down after the 29-year-old failed a medical. Saudi interest in Zouma remains.
  • Maybe he will just stay there?
  • Also with Soler, there has been interest attributed to us for a while. Probably a case of us not doing it until we have outgoings?
  • Bazshuayi said:

Maybe he will just stay there?

🤞🏻
  • Bazshuayi said:

Also with Soler, there has been interest attributed to us for a while. Probably a case of us not doing it until we have outgoings?

Andy Irving loaned out would be my prediction 🧙‍♂️
  • Please let there be an offer for Ings and Cornet
  • Come on EXETER, pop round their gaffs and leave a horses head in their beds. IYKYK
  • Ravel49 said:

Bazshuayi said:

Also with Soler, there has been interest attributed to us for a while. Probably a case of us not doing it until we have outgoings?

Andy Irving loaned out would be my prediction 🧙‍♂️
    For me, it's a question of how late we leave it to get rid of Ag, Cornet and Ings (zouma of course too). That'll be a lot of wages off the clubs back
  • IronHerb said:

Come on EXETER, pop round their gaffs and leave a horses head in their beds. IYKYK

Can we please get away from the abuse of animals, all be it as a”joke”, we’ve suffered enough as a club with Zouma’s CATastrophe.

• That's me put in my plaice.
  • IronHerb said:

That's me put in my plaice.

I didn’t mean to offend Herb

• No, not that Kante

West Ham agree deal for Kante
    West Ham have agreed a deal with Paris FC for the signing of midfielder Mohamadou Kante.
    He's agreed to terms on a five-year deal and is having a medical.
    The 18-year-old will return to Paris on loan for the season to continue his development.
    A formal announcement expected this week.
This discussion has been closed.