Summer Transfers 2024

Comments

• MrsGrey said:

Wait! I just realised ... 42!!!

The answer to life, the universe and everything.

The answer to life, the universe, and everything, is............Chelsea? 🤮🤮🤮 Where's my towel?

• MrsGrey said:

Wait! I just realised ... 42!!!

The answer to life, the universe and everything.

The answer to life, the universe, and everything, is............Chelsea? 🤮🤮🤮 Where's my towel?

Sounds like something I heard on Southend beach recently!
  • edited August 25

• West Ham are ready to offload England midfielder James Ward-Prowse, 29, before Friday's transfer deadline. (Teamtalk)
  • I'd be quite disappointed if we got rid of JWP tbh
  • What about if it meant Soler in?
  • Look at that smile 😀

• Looks Zouma is as good as gone to Saudi, likely they take his wages and apprantly a buy fee although pretty sure he's out of contract summer '25 so why they've got a buy fee I dunno but good for us
  • But it says another medical .And we know how that will go
  • Here's hoping the Saudi medicals aren't really that ermm medical
  • I strongly doubt we'll make anything out of any loan, transfer or contract termination of Zouma, apart from some saving of his wages. Any loan would surely see us subsidising his wages, as would any other scenario I'm sure. Still, any saving will be better than paying his wages in full and still not using him.
  • The Saudis certainly don't need us to be subsidising Zoumas wages, they've got more money than God hahaha
  • I've read two versions of the Zouma deal. The loan with obligation to buy, as above, and a loan with obligation where West Ham will cover 50% of his salary for the next year.
  • Can’t see why we’d agree to paying half his wages when these clubs can pay players any amount imaginable tax free.
  • Can’t see why we’d agree to paying half his wages when these clubs can pay players any amount imaginable tax free.

Because it would mean us saving half his wages compared to him staying with us.

And if we didn't agree and they pull out you'd be happy with us paying his full wages?
  • edited August 26
    Can’t see why clubs with unlimited funds who pay ridiculously high salaries would need to consider a shared wages agreement. The money would not be an issue with them, their problem is his fitness. Our paying half his wages wouldn’t solve that.
    Also what would happen if they offer him £500k per week. Will we pay £250k. Ridiculously unlikely but chicken feed to them.
  • Can’t see why clubs with unlimited funds who pay ridiculously high salaries would need to consider a shared wages agreement. The money would not be an issue with them, their problem is his fitness. Our paying half his wages wouldn’t solve that.
    Also what would happen if they offer him £500k per week. Will we pay £250k. Ridiculously unlikely but chicken feed to them.

The half his wages refers to half of what he's currently being paid by us, surely that's obvious. If they're prepared to pay more than we're paying, then Zouma isn't worse off by moving, so it's unlikely that we'd pay anything.

The issue is that Zouma isn't currently worth the £100k or £125k or whatever it is we're paying him. Even the Saudis won't throw money away, so they might feel, given his availability might well be restricted, that he's only worth £50k a week. In those circumstances, it's not a very attractive deal for Zouma, so we effectively cough up the other £50k so Zouma is no worse off.

I understand that the Saudis can afford his full wages or more, but it doesn't mean they'll pay more than they have to, and they know we're desperate to move Zouma as he's worth nothing to us and will cost us a lot to keep him on for another season when there's little chance he'll see any action.

• It’s all hypotheses so if £50k per week isn’t attractive to Zouma then what’s to stop him saying ok I’ll stay where I am. He wouldn’t be the first and won’t be the last to see out a contract whether he plays or not.
    It seems to point more to me that a mutually agreed termination is a more feasible outcome.
  • It’s all hypotheses so if £50k per week isn’t attractive to Zouma then what’s to stop him saying ok I’ll stay where I am. He wouldn’t be the first and won’t be the last to see out a contract whether he plays or not.
    It seems to point more to me that a mutually agreed termination is a more feasible outcome.

That's why we might consider paying him half his wages, so he still gets the same amount but might get to play occasionally (if that's still important to him) is a less demanding league.

Obviously we don't know the details, and obviously it's ultimately up to him, but the fact that he's been in Dubai and now, seemingly, in Saudi, suggests he's open to such a move. Any mutually agreed termination is still likely to involve a payoff from us, so effectively still paying half his wages for the remaining year of his contract. This really isn't that complicated, is it?
  • Nobody is saying it’s complicated or trying to make it complicated. My point is everything that’s being touted is pure speculation and hypothetical. Yes paying half his wages to get the other half off our bill would make sense but I would imagine he’s been told that he doesn’t figure in the plans for this season so he can go, on a free, and negotiate whatever deal he can wherever he wants or can. If he gets one then he’ll go with the clubs blessing.
    It’s telling that no clubs from any of the major leagues have expressed an interest.
  • Wow, and to think I moan that the window doesn't slam shut before the start of the season 😂🤣😂:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/baseball/articles/cd9dzz8g4ydo
  • Can’t see why clubs with unlimited funds who pay ridiculously high salaries would need to consider a shared wages agreement. The money would not be an issue with them, their problem is his fitness. Our paying half his wages wouldn’t solve that.

Because he keeps failing medicals, and even the Saudis aren't stupid

He keeps his salary, if he gets enough games then they will probably sign him as a free transfer on the monster wages you state

Doesn't change our position, we get an offer, we either accept or reject that offer. If we reject it, we have to be prepared that they may not put in a new offer and can move to other targets
  • I think any player who goes to Saudi should be tarred and feathered and shunned, shunned I tell you!
  • edited August 27
    Aguerd must really not be rated by Lopetegui to be completely frozen out of the squad for two games & also be told to find another club. To be fair, he had plenty of chances in pre-season & did throw in some really poor performances, added to our poor form last season defensively. He does fit the profile of Lopetegui & is still a good age, but I guess he’s seen enough already. Zouma is simply a case of you can’t have a guy who can’t move playing in a high intensity team.

Ings & Cornet, they need to be moved on. I expect both will leave on loan before the deadline. Can see Cornet going to someone like Everton & surely a top level Championship club, newly promoted/bottom half PL club would want Ings? JWP I’d keep.
  • In talks with Tammy Abraham about a loan deal with an option to buy, which becomes an obligation when certain conditions are met, according to Nicolo Schira on ‘X’.
This discussion has been closed.