Summer Transfers 2024

Comments

• Nottingham Forest are planning a move for England midfielder James Ward-Prowse, 29, who is not in the plans of new West Ham manager Julen Lopetegui. (Football Insider), external
    West Ham might be willing to listen to offers for Ward-Prowse, but are not actively looking to sell him. (Sky Sports) 🏌🏻‍♂️
  • Lukerz said:

Ings & Cornet, they need to be moved on. I expect both will leave on loan before the deadline. Can see Cornet going to someone like Everton & surely a top level Championship club, newly promoted/bottom half PL club would want Ings? JWP I’d keep.

As poor as Everton have been this season, I really can't see them wanting Cornet. He needs regular football just to show that he's over his injury (if he is) and has some semblance of his old ability still. Can see him going to France or another European league.

• As poor as Everton have been this season, I really can't see them wanting Cornet. He needs regular football just to show that he's over his injury (if he is) and has some semblance of his old ability still. Can see him going to France or another European league.

I would like to see Cornet go anywhere but there hasn't even been a whiff of interest here or overseas since Palace were linked in January
  • 🗣️ Spitting fax before Friday

The window will close on August 30 at 11pm UK time in England and Scotland. The Premier League and Scottish Premiership brought forward Deadline Day to ensure harmonisation with the major leagues in Europe. The closing dates were set following discussions with the leagues in England, Germany, Italy, Spain and France.
  • But no clubs mentioned 🤔
    And the link just takes you to current football headlines

• Personally I Am looking forward to Dharmesh Sheth’s update today at approx 13:15 telling us:

Zouma is still on holiday.
    There is still interest in Solar.
    Aguerd, Cornet & Ings can all leave.

Repeat till Friday 🤦‍♂️
  • Ravel49 said:

But no clubs mentioned 🤔
    And the link just takes you to current football headlines

Ahem

Apparently the Sun's Wednesday print edition said Cornet could be going to Turkey but I can't find anything online

It would be great if he could find a new club, it must be very depressing to be stuck at a club where its been made very clear you aren't wanted

• More like Cornet is going out for a Turkish dinner tonight....
  • Only reason he’d go to Everton is Dyche. Did he not play for him at Burnley? If yes, at least he knows what he is capable and may take a chance on him. Everton are broke so it’s probably be a loan where we pay 95% of his wages 🤪
  • "West Ham United to offload duo for Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain swoop ahead of Brentford".
    https://www.westhamzone.com/transfers/west-ham-united-to-offload-duo-for-alex-oxlade-chamberlain-swoop-ahead-of-brentford/

Hope this is just another journo spinning stories and isn't true as Oxlade-Chamberlain is way past his best, lost his pace and is injury prone. The days when ageing, injury-prone footballers on their last legs moved to West Ham to collect one more paycheque have surely gone, haven't they? I remember players like Freddie Ljungberg, John Radford moving to West Ham and doing next to nothing.
  • So, my approach.

Let's see.
    1. What is the source?'West ham Zone'. Low credibility , not real news.

2. Who is the writer? George Overhill. Google search reveals he is a write for a bunch of websites (Goodison News; Tottenham Hotspur News;Ibrox News; West Brom news; etc) Other credentials - is part of 'Breaking Media News; asocial-media based thing that has about 20 websites and between 11 and 50 'employees' They are currently seeking Spurs fans to apply for two 'writing opportunities'.)

3. What (credible?) sources are cited in the article? The whole story is simply ascribed to being 'according to TBR Football'. One step up from, 'a guy I got chatting to in the bus queue'?
    4. Follow the link and apply the same critical faculties : https://tbrfootball.com/david-ornstein-shares-length-of-contract-liverpool-are-discussing-with-federico-chiesa/

5. Check the article and delete anything irrelevant. Leaves you with this.

"TBR Football understands (doesn't say why/where from) a host of Premier League clubs are plotting to bring Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain back to England. West Ham, Wolves, Crystal Palace, Forest and Brentford are among a number of clubs interested in the former Liverpool midfielder. (Says he, but no corroboration offered.) The Hammers are ready to sell nine players this summer, including midfielders James Ward-Prowse and Tomas Soucek. Offloading the duo could make space for Oxlade-Chamberlain’s arrival. "

That's it.

These rubbish articles should be treated with the contempt they deserve.

If the bar is set so low that any 'speculation' is deemed worthy of our time, then I'm done.
  • Pengeman said:

"West Ham United to offload duo for Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain swoop ahead of Brentford".
    https://www.westhamzone.com/transfers/west-ham-united-to-offload-duo-for-alex-oxlade-chamberlain-swoop-ahead-of-brentford/

Hope this is just another journo spinning stories and isn't true as Oxlade-Chamberlain is way past his best, lost his pace and is injury prone. The days when ageing, injury-prone footballers on their last legs moved to West Ham to collect one more paycheque have surely gone, haven't they? I remember players like Freddie Ljungberg, John Radford moving to West Ham and doing next to nothing.

Doesn't sound like anything we've done this season where we've targeted players in form with their careers in front of them not behind them

Also we are actively trying to get rid of older former prem players on big wages with injury history in Ings and Zouma, to the point we may terminate their deals to save on wages

Going for Oxlade Chamberlain would literally make no sense given our strategy this summer
  • 😂 Really, we could have spared ourselves the effort.
    It's clearly rubbish.

These are minutes of our lives we won't get back again 😭
  • MrsGrey said:

😂 Really, we could have spared ourselves the effort.
    It's clearly rubbish.

These are minutes of our lives we won't get back again 😭

I dunno, Mrs G ... l enjoyed your critique greatly 😁
  • I have enough time to state that Ox was never that good in the first place before an injury laden career saw him end up in a lower foreign league. I'd be absolutely amazed if we even talked to him let alone buy him
  • edited August 28
    MrsGrey said:

3. What (credible?) sources are cited in the article? The whole story is simply ascribed to being 'according to TBR Football'. One step up from, 'a guy I got chatting to in the bus queue'?
    4. Follow the link and apply the same critical faculties : https://tbrfootball.com/david-ornstein-shares-length-of-contract-liverpool-are-discussing-with-federico-chiesa/

5. Check the article and delete anything irrelevant. Leaves you with this.

"TBR Football understands (doesn't say why/where from) a host of Premier League clubs are plotting to bring Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain back to England. West Ham, Wolves, Crystal Palace, Forest and Brentford are among a number of clubs interested in the former Liverpool midfielder. (Says he, but no corroboration offered.) The Hammers are ready to sell nine players this summer, including midfielders James Ward-Prowse and Tomas Soucek. Offloading the duo could make space for Oxlade-Chamberlain’s arrival. "

That's it.

These rubbish articles should be treated with the contempt they deserve.

If the bar is set so low that any 'speculation' is deemed worthy of our time, then I'm done.

If there is a link in an article I always, always click the link to check the source, especially with cut-and-paste merchants like West Ham Online, Hammers News and West Ham Zone

Click on the link to The Boot Room (tbrfootball.com) and not only are we one of "a host of Premier League clubs" linked with Oxlade-Chamberlain" but it says Ajax and RB Salzburg are interested,

The TBR article is credited to two journos.

On the by-line there's Sean Fisher who has "more than five years of experience" writing for "high-profile publications including GiveMeSport and Football Insider"

I've got pants with more than five years of experience

Below that the article is credited as "Exclusive from Graeme Bailey" who has "nearly 25 years" with Sky Sports and 90min. Slightly more impressive and some actual "high profile" sites

The claim that we "are ready to sell nine players this summer" has another link to another TBR article by Sean Fisher from last week which has yet another link to an article in the Times from last Tuesday

Click on that link and there's an article about Ivan Toney going to Saudi Arabia but its behind a pay-wall.

Maybe there's a bit about West Ham tagged on at the end but even if there is this story is already over a week old

Click the links, people
  • Gonzo at C&H told by a "top club insider" that "We are struggling to get players out, even if we cover 50% of their wages.”

Sounds as if Ings, Cornet and Aguerd will be with us for a while longer

Fabrizio Romano on Twitter says AC Milan in talks Roma over Tammy Abraham but "NO talks with West Ham despite reports"
  • Click the links, people

That's what they want you to do. Clickbait.
  • Not quite

Clickbait is when headlines are exaggerated to get more people to read an article which generates more advertising revenue for that website

It doesn't work if the link goes to a different website (e.g. the link on westhamzone to TBR or the link on TBR to The Times)
  • "West Ham United to offload duo for Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain swoop ahead of Brentford".

I think that's exaggerated.
  • Duran ❌
    Abraham ❌
    Welcome Neil, Neil Maupay 🤗
  • An aside (only spotted now, but may have been mentioned and I missed it). Ex-Gk Adrian was offered an extension at Liverpool but he declined and has gone back to Real Betis, where we got him from originally. Good luck to him.

(His move to Liverpool remains for me one of the great unforeseen transfers, and is still a mystery.) From ATL and BTL comments elsewhere, he seems to have been a popular figure
  • Blimey, saw over 20 posts on this thread and thought we had signed or sold someone.

Oh well, a good read nonetheless.
  • You want more? (In a Dickensian voice) 😱
  • Yes

Ings / Zouma / Cornet out to reduce wage bills

Another CM and Striker in.

Is that too much?
  • Yes

Ings / Zouma / Cornet out to reduce wage bills

Another CM and Striker in.

Is that too much?

I don't think we need another striker now, if that were to push Fullkrug onto the bench he may become another Ings. We need to give him the chance to show what he can do.
  • It’s happening I tell thee

Maupay expected to leave Everton
    Latest from Sky Sports News' Alan Myers:
    Neal Maupay is expected to leave Everton before Friday's transfer deadline, with Marseille and two Premier League clubs interested in signing the French forward
  • He only be an Ings and want ‘more pay’. ‘Coat please’
  • Clubs interested in Aguerd. Porto and Villarreal named alongside Saudi interest. Hopefully one of them will stump up and he will actually accept the transfer!

Also, by some miracle,it seems that Zouma has passed a medical. Also stated we are to give him a 2M sweetener to go. Please be true and his wages will be off our books

Clubs are interested in the boy Ekwah who we sold to Sunderland. They're holding out for a 5 to 7M fee and we would get about 2M of that in sell on percentage

JWPs reps are routing him and outside of the already mentioned Forest, Southampton may try for him. Surely that would be best as we will owe them a hell of a lot of the 30M we paid them for him and potentially could get rid of a lot of that so neither club would have to do much financially

Ok now I feel way too involved and Rav is the guy who does this better!
This discussion has been closed.