Summer Transfers 2024

Comments

• MIAHammer said:

And in other news that no one will be surprised at, looks like Zouma has failed his medical.
    Does that now put pressure on us to sell Mavropanos or Aguerd?

Don't think so. They'll probably either pay him off or release him.
  • Borussia Dortmund are set to sign 21-year-old Germany forward Maximili Beier by from Hoffenheim in a deal worth just over €30m (£25.7m). (Sky Sports Germany)

A large beer you say?
    Be silly not to.🍺
  • So mutual termination of contract for Zouma, medical highlights issues with knee, now everybody is pausing trying to find a solution. I assume they may want a pay as you play/appearance-based deal for Zouma, but if he’s on a guaranteed sum a week here no matter what, is that going to be enticing?
  • edited August 12
    So Lop has taken the job & decided we need to sign a brand new back four & a new DM. Think that tells you all you need to know about what he thought of our existing defending. Wan-Bissaka, Todibo, Kilman all come into the back four (eventually) & Rodríguez into midfield. Areola & Emerson remain, rightly so as Emerson was very consistent last year & Areola kept us in lots of games.

I wonder if the plan is to play Álvarez & Rodríguez in midfield or just one of them. Not sure where it leaves Souček & Ward-Prowse - you’d think one may go, especially if he ends up playing both DMs. So Coufal, Mavropanos, Aguerd, Souček, JWP, Irving, Cornet, Ings probably all have question marks over their heads before the window shuts.
  • I can’t see Alvarez not being the first choice DM, personally. Sometimes Guido will play with him, sometimes it’ll be a single 6.
  • IronHerb said:

MIAHammer said:

And in other news that no one will be surprised at, looks like Zouma has failed his medical.

Am I missing something? I don’t see the point of buying out his contract. Might as well keep him as a back-up.
  • MIAHammer said:

IronHerb said:

MIAHammer said:

Am I missing something? I don’t see the point of buying out his contract. Might as well keep him as a back-up.
    It depends on whether they think having a £100k per week former captain just kicking about the place will have a disruptive influence on the rest of the squad, I guess.
  • edited August 12
    I think it's the way the financial rules are applied. A pay off may be classed as a one time payment. Whereas the wages may be an ongoing expense.
    Someone cleverer than me is welcome to clarify or put me right! Getting him of the books may be better for financial fair play rules.
  • And on the terms of the buy out, it may suit Zouma to be a free agent.
  • AWB’s announcement video better be him splitting the G on a pint of Guinness with the caption ‘Good things come to those who wait’ as this seems to have gone on forever 🤪
  • alderz said:

MIAHammer said:

IronHerb said:

MIAHammer said:

It depends on whether they think having a £100k per week former captain just kicking about the place will have a disruptive influence on the rest of the squad, I guess.
    And he will take up a squad position which, the way things are going, are going to be scarce.
  • Ravel49 said:

AWB’s announcement video better be him splitting the G on a pint of Guinness with the caption ‘Good things come to those who wait’ as this seems to have gone on forever 🤪

They're saving that idea for when we sign Samuel Inkoom
  • 🤣🤣🤣
    Can. Not. Wait 👌🏻
    Gonna be proper Nortei Nortey
  • edited August 12
    Latest from Sky Sports News' Dharmesh Sheth:
    Aaron Wan-Bissaka has completed the first part of his medical at West Ham.
    The defender is currently doing the second part ahead of his proposed move to the London Stadium.
    He is set to formally sign his contract in a deal worth £15m.

When I first started watching us some 70 + years ago this just involved breathing on a mirror to see if it steams up. . Now it’s a full day job.
  • That’s a new one this window; ITK on contract signing time.
  • Yep Thorn it used to be “Two of everything you should have? You’re in.”
  • MIAHammer said:

IronHerb said:

MIAHammer said:

I think buy outs are often a compromise amount rather than the total amount of wages due. If you were due 4m in wages but accepted 2.5m it means you don't have to train for pretty much no game time during that year and can retire or you are free to sign a deal with another club on much reduced wages and not miss out on the total you could have earned.
  • Is it.. is it really done..

• Hope so
  • So we now have a first team squad of 26.
  • IronHerb said:

So we now have a first team squad of 26.

Presumably players at risk of not being registered will be made aware and can try to work out places to go
  • edited August 12
    IronHerb said:

So we now have a first team squad of 26.

That's what I make it, although Guilherme doesn't need to be registered as he's too young.

I know there's plenty of talk of more new players coming in, but I think we've still got some leeway. I'm really not sure whether Irving will feature much (although I could be completely wrong, he's still basically an unknown despite a few pre-season appearances), and it looks like we're very keen to get Zouma out of the door, so that would create 2 non-HG spaces in the squad straightaway. Then there's Cornet, and, if talk of another forward coming in is accurate, one of Ings and Antonio.
  • Yep outs before In(g)s now
    Couple more signings nearer the end of the window now me thinks after this blitz
  • Ex says likely to be announced tomorrow morning & 99% done but he hasn’t had confirmation from his sources yet. Other accounts claiming it is signed & sealed.

However, the signings of AWB, Todibo & Kilman are all over good on paper, but it’s a brand new defence that will take time to gel. Let’s hope we can find a cohesive unit quickly but, to be fair, some of our defending last season was a disgrace so it should not be too hard to improve.
  • Time to gel is exactly that. But looks excellent on paper
  • Apparently the manager has had the chance to loan out Irving but has declined. Seems like he's shown enough to warrant staying
  • Earthy to join Bristol City tomorrow on loan, according to Ex.
This discussion has been closed.