Summer Transfers 2024

Comments

• He’s played there when we’ve played a back three, for sure.
  • But he was woeful there hence my 'I know he was positioned there but not sure he played there.'
  • Doesn’t seem anything imminent

• Trippier being mentioned as a target (assuming AWB saga is now past being old!). He’d be good for Fullkrugs old fashioned no9 play, no?

If Trippier did leave Newcastle, Livramento would be straight in my fantasy team

Must admit I think it’s just hot air asTrippiers profile is not right despite his obvious set piece prowess

Martinez is being mentioned also. Younger and also last year of contract. Seems a better fit unless we freakily actually get AWB 😂
  • Just watched some Fullkrug highlights.

Most noticeable for me is his awareness in the box with runners around him. His holding up and lay-offs in tight spaces stand out.

If we can get others around him, I think he will be excellent.

Most noticeable for me is his awareness in the box with runners around him. His holding up and lay-offs in tight spaces stand out.

Won't lie, I'm a bit worried after the 2 other larger, target men sort of strikers Haller and Scamacca were far from successful

But all 3 are as different as they are similar, so gonna reserve judgement and trust in Lopetegui

Does make the Wan-Bissaka links a little strange, if you could name his single biggest weakness its his ability going forward, specifically his very poor crossing ability

But I'm sure there is method to the madness

Won't lie, I'm a bit worried after the 2 other larger, target men sort of strikers Haller and Scamacca were far from successful

But all 3 are as different as they are similar, so gonna reserve judgement and trust in Lopetegui

Does make the Wan-Bissaka links a little strange, if you could name his single biggest weakness its his ability going forward, specifically his very poor crossing ability

But I'm sure there is method to the madness
    I think having a defensive RB allows the RW an awful lot of attacking freedom. Bowen / Kudus then can get around Fullkrug and link without worrying too much about getting back, as AWB would be there
  • Being linked with Trippier now. No thank you. We need a young, long term RB.
  • Suggestions (seen on KUMB, from Sean Whetstone) that AWB wants a £7m payoff from Man Utd. Seems completely unreasonable, it may be the max he could earn there with bonuses etc, but it's not as if he's not going to get paid anything by us. Surely any payoff should compensate him for lost earnings in this next year, ie the difference between what he earns there less what he would earn with us, so it sounds like he's really pushing his luck.

It's defo not gonna happen unless he's prepared to considerably reduce his demands.
  • It won’t happen. It smacks of the Maguire saga last summer. He’ll remain & see out his contract.
  • Suggestions that Zouma is heading to the UAE for a medical 😱😱😱, having agreed terms for a move. I just don't see how he passes one, but I suppose they'll factor in that they'd be signing him for nothing/a nominal fee.
  • I know there has been a lot of talk about Zouma's fitness for some time but he was routinely picked as captain in the starting eleven last season, so he can't be that bad.
  • Does J-Lo ever play a back 3? Against some teams it may work, with Coufal and Emerson as wing-backs.
  • Was it 3 against the back last game against palace?
    I assumed it was by this starting lineup

West Ham United: Fabiański, Coufal (Kodua 81), Mavropanos, Kilman, Cresswell © (Luis Guilherme 64), Emerson (Earthy 74), Potts (Aguerd HT), Ward-Prowse, Souček (Irving 81), Kudus, Antonio (Marshall 64)
    Subs not used: Herrick (GK), Robinson, Casey, Orford, Kelly, Scarles
  • I’ll miss Zouma. Say what you want about him now but after his signing our record was very good; semi-final of Europa League, winning Europa Conference League, quarter-final of Europa League. 2 top 9 finishes in 3 seasons.
  • Good for the first two seasons but fell off a cliff last year, which contributed to the 74 league goals conceded.
  • I personally feel like an awful lot of goals we conceded last year were down the our midfield being constantly charged through, and our inability to retain possession higher up the pitch, more than it was about the quality of our centre backs.

BUT I agree that it feels like the right time to let him go, assuming there is someone coming in to replace him in the squad. Going from Zouma, Aguerd, Mavropanos & Ogbonna to Kilman, Aguerd & Mavropanos feels insufficient to me.
  • For me the biggest factor in our poor defensive record last season was Rice being absent rather than Zouma playing.
  • Seems Chalobah is again the CB we are looking at.
  • edited August 8
    Our midfield has been an issue for a long while. Having a lack of a proper DM is what has cost us a lot of goals - even back to when the Rice/Souček partnership was at its best. Alvarez is decent (still not FULLY convinced) but he’s more of a ‘breaking up play’ midfielder than somebody who reads the game, is positionally very good, intercepts & gets us on the front foot.
  • alderz said:

I personally feel like an awful lot of goals we conceded last year were down the our midfield being constantly charged through, and our inability to retain possession higher up the pitch, more than it was about the quality of our centre backs.

BUT I agree that it feels like the right time to let him go, assuming there is someone coming in to replace him in the squad. Going from Zouma, Aguerd, Mavropanos & Ogbonna to Kilman, Aguerd & Mavropanos feels insufficient to me.

I think, given the number of CBs we've been linked to even after we signed Kilman, that we're definitely going to bring at least one more CB in. I don't think it's impossible that we'd sell Aguerd even if Zouma goes, and bring in 2 more CBs.
  • Really hope that Kurt departs, he's past his best, has dodgy knees and of course being a cat lover, someone I certainly won't mind seeing leave the club and a thing of the past....

While he always gave his all, I'll give him that, but there are plenty of other CB's in the world who can do an equally good, if not better job than he did, has.....

Cheers......
  • Zouma has done well for West Ham. His knees mean he probably is done in the Premier league, so I don't grudge him one more hefty wage packet from the Middle East. It also frees wages up to help us to improve!
  • edited August 8
    I hope he does go. Best for everyone.

We can then secute another CB, get a RB and potentially, one more signing after that.
  • Hope Zouma doesn't have to have a CAT SCAN
  • It’s been widely reported we will try to bring in 2 more CBs when Zouma goes. I hope one of them is Chalobah.
  • Only 3 weeks left of this window and I can’t remember the last time I wasn’t worried that one of our stars would be poached at the same wondering who we’d bring in as loans
  • Only 3 weeks left of this window and I can’t remember the last time I wasn’t worried that one of our stars would be poached at the same wondering who we’d bring in as loans

That’s one of the reasons I don’t want us to go for Trippier. Any discussion or relationship with Newcastle can only be bad for us IMO. (Bowen, Kudus, etc). ⚒

• Exciting if we can pull it off, but will require him not waiting for Juventus to try again
This discussion has been closed.