• He's missing his shin pads.
  • And boots 😜
    Euro German song 🍺

Füllkrug with beer
    We will be kings of Europe
    Füllkrug with beer
    And the summer will be as beautiful as never before 🎶
  • And to the morrow 🧉

• We've got a good amount of business done before the season starts. Credit to everybody involved
  • I agree, I reckon our net spend is probably the highest in the Prem so far other than perhaps Villa.

I am hoping we secure AWB, one more CB and offload Ings, Cornet and Zouma to reduce our wage bill and keep our net spend within FFP.
  • Told my Grandson that we had bought a centre forward and he said "what's that?" 🤷‍♂️
  • Exeter I think the Rice money went through this year hence the ability to spend quite big.
  • Agh. That makes sense Thorn!
  • We spent around £120m and sold around £140m last summer and so far we've spent around £120m and sold around £40m this summer. So thats a net spend of £60m over the two windows. Still a few quid in the wallet to spend imo.
  • From Ex -

Still hope to sign Soler (PSG) even after Rodríguez.
    Duran is on the cards if we can do a loan with obligation to buy.
    2 new CB’s required and priority to sign, manager wants Zouma off the books, and 5 CB’s.
    AWB should be done in a couple of days.
    Earthy and Casey loans.
  • C&H reporting that Wan-Bissaka wants "significant financial settlement from Manchester United" to leave as we "cannot accommodate his salary demands"

He could stay at Man Utd another season, leave on a free and pick up a huge signing on fee

https://www.claretandhugh.info/stumbling-block-wan-bissaka-deal-in-jeopardy/
  • I'm going right off AWB. Too big for his boots attitude, and we don't need that here.
  • Maybe AWB wants to make Manchester United pay for his career going nowhere since he left Palace in 2019

Also how many transfers and how many opportunities to make a stack of cash will he get before he retires? Players have a very limited career during which they have to maximise their earnings
  • So crazy isn't it. AWB wants a pay off of some sort by his employer even though he has been paid huge wages for doing very little work for 5 years.

Only in football.
  • Several sources reckon AWB wants to come home after five years in Manchester

Obviously he needs the extra cash to afford London house prices!!!
  • So crazy isn't it. AWB wants a pay off of some sort by his employer even though he has been paid huge wages for doing very little work for 5 years.

Only in football.

I think probably in most industries, if your company was trying to offload you and you needed to take a paycut to make it happen, you might want some kind of compensation from them.
  • Football may be a short career but most PL players make 10’s or even in some cases 100’s of millions during their careers. The fact they retire around 35 doesn’t preclude them from doing other work afterwards but I can’t imagine why they seemingly can’t survive on what they’ve made by then.
  • AWB on about £90,000 a week, so nearly £5 million a year. He has one year left on his contract. I assume we will not be offering £90,000 a week for him to want compensation from Man Utd. However, I would imagine the wages we offer will be at least half that.

I wish I could earn his weekly wages in a year.
  • edited August 6
    If he's only on about £90k a week I'm amazed it's a major stumbling block tbh. I'd have thought we'd be able to afford something similar, but even if it was £60k a week we're only talking about £1.5m difference. I can certainly understand why he feels entitled to the money, but surely if both West Ham and Man Utd want the deal to be done then a compromise between the clubs could be found.
  • Football may be a short career but most PL players make 10’s or even in some cases 100’s of millions during their careers. The fact they retire around 35 doesn’t preclude them from doing other work afterwards but I can’t imagine why they seemingly can’t survive on what they’ve made by then.

Wes Brown might disagree with you..
  • As a train driver Aslef I guess you can empathise with them 😬😬
  • If he’s even remotely considering retirement, we don’t want to pursue that one.
  • So Zouma surplus, Mavro an aggressive defender but very sloppy on the ball & prone to errors, Aguerd an aggressive defender, better on the ball but prone to errors.

Probably makes Kilman & Aguerd our first choice pairing on paper until we sign another CB.
  • edited August 6
    Current squad:

GK - 23 Areola, 1 Fabiański, 21 Foderingham
    CB - 26 Kilman, 27 Aguerd, 15 Mavropanos, 4 Zouma
    RB - 5 Coufal
    LB - 33 Emerson, 3 Cresswell
    DM - 19 Álvarez, Rodríguez
    CM - 28 Souček, 7 Ward-Prowse
    AM - 14 Kudus, 10 Paquetá
    RW - 20 Bowen, 11 Guilherme
    LW - Summerville, 22 Cornet
    ST - Füllkrug, 9 Antonio, 18 Ings

Total = 23

Other than RB, it’s pretty balanced.
  • Rodriguez confirmed now
  • Hummels is quality, even still. He's not got the pace he once had, but the guy just played every single minute of Dortmund's run to the Champions League final last season. He'd be an amazing option for us even if it's just for a year.
  • Thiago Silva adapted pretty well to the PL even at his age so Hummels might do fine.
  • Rogriguez a bit of a coup, especially on a free. Provides cover/competition for Alvarez when we're playing one DM with a pair of 8s, and someone to play alongside him when we're setting up more defensively. Very happy with this signing.

So, imo, we need a RB and a starting CB to have a squad I'm reasonably happy with (although certain players such as Ings and Cornet could probably be lost without any impact at all to our season). Cresswell as back up LB I'm not thrilled about and, tbh, I hope we don't need to call on Fabianski too often, but we're a mid table team without European football so we can't expect 2 fantastic players in every position. Soucek really isn't a J-Lo type player, but I guess he offers a plan B. Wouldn't be averse to him moving on if he isn't happy with that sort of a role.
This discussion has been closed.