Summer Transfers 2024

Comments

• mike said:

Lukerz said:

The only players I’d argue we could let go are Ings & Cornet. Nobody else in our squad is deadwood but there are several players in the 28-32 bracket. Zouma will not be leaving on his wages with his knees so it will be Aguerd as the only possibility & then we’d need to replace him or buy before we let him go.

So what you are saying is Zouma isn't deadwood because his wages are too high and his knees are shot?.Which they are.
    Strange.

No, I'd add to that he's not deadwood because he's still our best CB on paper, club captain, in his prime &, despite the constant rhetoric about his 'knees', still regularly plays most of our games a season.
  • Lukerz said:

No, I'd add to that he's not deadwood because he's still our best CB on paper, club captain, in his prime &, despite the constant rhetoric about his 'knees', still regularly plays most of our games a season.

Personally I can't see him playing a significant number of games this season as he necessitates playing a low block which doesn't seem to be the way J-Lo sets up his teams. It's not rhetoric about his knees; they severely restrict what he can do on the pitch and how a team has to be set up to accommodate his lack of mobility.

• Lukerz said:

mike said:

Lukerz said:

The only players I’d argue we could let go are Ings & Cornet. Nobody else in our squad is deadwood but there are several players in the 28-32 bracket. Zouma will not be leaving on his wages with his knees so it will be Aguerd as the only possibility & then we’d need to replace him or buy before we let him go.

So what you are saying is Zouma isn't deadwood because his wages are too high and his knees are shot?.Which they are.
    Strange.

Sorry i couldn't agree with one word of which you have just written so it's probably best we agree to disagree.

• edited August 4
    Who do you think is our best CB? Do you think Aguerd or Mavro are better?
    Who is our captain?
    He played 33 PL games last year.
    He’s 29, considered to be prime age for a defender.

What bits don’t you agree with? 🤔
  • Lukerz said:

Personally I can't see him playing a significant number of games this season as he necessitates playing a low block which doesn't seem to be the way J-Lo sets up his teams. It's not rhetoric about his knees; they severely restrict what he can do on the pitch and how a team has to be set up to accommodate his lack of mobility.

Same things were said last year.
  • Lukerz said:

Same things were said last year.

His mobility deteriorated significantly last season imo, and Moyes (whether by preference or necessity) only ever set us up in a low block, which I can't see J-Lo doing.

• edited August 4
    I agree that he’s probably not suited to the way JL wants to play - Aguerd or Mavro would fit that better (more aggressive). But I’m not convinced by either of those defensively.
  • edited August 4
    Lukerz said:

I agree that he’s probably not suited to the way JL wants to play - Aguerd or Mavro would fit that better (more aggressive). But I’m not convinced by either of those defensively.

Completely agree with you there, we still desperately need another starting CB imo.

• edited August 4
    I’m hoping our new CB will prove to be our best CB Max…
    Zouma, IMO, always gives his all, but his body is a liability
  • Lukerz said:

Who do you think is our best CB? Do you think Aguerd or Mavro are better?
    Who is our captain?
    He played 33 PL games last year.
    He’s 29, considered to be prime age for a defender.

What bits don’t you agree with? 🤔

Mavropanos
    He is our captain but he shouldn't be.You hardly ever see him talking to the press after heavy defeats.IMO alvarez would be a better choice.

He played 33 PL games last year.I used to groan when he was picked same with Soucek(but that's my own opinion)Sometimes Moyes had no choice but to play him due to injuries.
    Look i really used to like Zouma.At the time i thought he was a great signing but the last season shows how much he has deteriorated.There is no flex in his legs anymore which has made him slow up considerately and if you disagree with that then you are kidding yourself.
    So as i said before we'll have to agree to disagree.

• Nothing to do with the Zouma debate, but “J Lo?”
    Seriously? Really?
  • edited August 4
    >:)

The West Ham Way. 😡

Pushing the envelope of the passive voice.
  • The club will be entertaining offers & rightly so. He cost us the best part of £30m & has one year left on his deal, he won’t get an extension. We all know he has some sort of medical issue. But he’s not deadwood, not at 29.
  • I wonder if the reason Cornet, Ings & Zouma did not play against CPFC, having played all the previous friendlies, is because they have been informed they can move on.
  • from the pre-season match thread

Pengeman said:

Bt no sign of Zouma, Cornet and Ings. Surely, not injured?

Just seen on KUMB that we supposedly played an additional "behind closed doors" game against Palace (not sure if yesterday or today) and all 3 played in that.

• Lukerz said:

The club will be entertaining offers & rightly so. He cost us the best part of £30m & has one year left on his deal, he won’t get an extension. We all know he has some sort of medical issue. But he’s not deadwood, not at 29.

It's a nothing piece so I don't give it any weight, but, imo, if the club could terminate Zouma's contract they'd jump at the chance. The savings on wages would be significant, and, if he can't play to the manager's style, he's worth nothing to us.

• I do have to agree that Zouma's best days are over. He is not in his prime. Being Captain last year meant he was always going to play if fit enough.

I would be much happier with another CB, certainly with the wages he is on.

I just don't know if there is a club that would take him
  • edited August 4
    I dont see why another club of any standing would touch him with the mobility issues, wages etc.
    I’ll be happy when he’s not captain anymore and he will always be negatively thought of because of the cat cruelty. I just don’t have it in me to forgive it/him.

I hope we do buy another CB who is first choice with Kilman
  • I always thought soucek should have been captain. He’s here longer and just seems more of a west ham kind of player.
  • Soucek is an exceptional personality in this age of football divas, Coufal also actually, they must have had some very good coaching in the Czech Republic.

I find teams tend take on a personality according to the manager and the players and I have been pleased with our direction regard that under Moyes, and Noble when Captain and then Dec. Players like Soucek always help that collective personality. I hope this will continue under the new coach and the players signed will help take us further in this direction.

I recall the stories of how Noble and others ensured Lingard adopted team expectations when he first came and I imagine that may have contributed to his success as I never feel United have had a good team personality for a while now. Not quite Stoke under Paulis but not great all the same.

• edited August 5
    Soucek is definitely not "dead wood", we have an abundance of attacking midfielders but just Alvarez, Soucek, JWP and Irving to fill two of the three midfield slots. Rodriguez will give us a bit more depth but Alvarez collects yellow cards like a kid collects Panini stickers
    mike said:

Strange.

Lukerz said "Zouma will not be leaving on his wages with his knees".

Saints were supposedly interested in Ings and Aguerd had a offer from Nice but both moves didn't happen because the clubs couldn't afford their wages while Cornet hasn't even been linked with any clubs at all

Whether platers are "dead wood" or not is irrelevant, unless someone can make them a realistic offer they're going to be West Ham players this season
  • Wan-Bissaka was "okay in defence, not okay in attack" before coming off with an unspecified injury in the 83rd minute of a friendly against Liverpool in the USA Saturday night (Sunday morning in the UK)

Good news is that he walked off unaided

MEN reckons Mazraoui has a medical tomorrow but can't join Man Utd until Wan-Bissaka leaves
  • Both Fullkrug and Rodriguez have passed their medicals.
  • 2️⃣4️⃣👀⏳🇩🇪🍺
  • #dubblebubblebosh

• Surely our priorities going into this window were

1. A new starting CB
    2. A new centre forward
    3. Cover for attackers / New first team attacker if Paqueta was banned
    4. Another CB (pending sales)
    5. Right back competition for Coufal
    6. New centre mid for Lopetegui style

Looks like we've hit 4 of the 6 points above. We have Kilman (1), Fullkrug (2), Summerville/Guilherme (3) & Rodriguez (6)

I know Rodriguez maybe isn't the most glamorous but he can do a job

Still expect us to make some more moves, maybe once we get a few more out the door
  • I think getting Rodriguez on a free certainly frees up cash, possibly enough to clinch Duran and AWB.
  • 🎥 ✔️

This discussion has been closed.