Summer Transfers 2024

Comments

• Just get it done
  • edited August 1
    Summary:

Summerville - first part of medical done, second part & formalities to conclude
    Wan-Bissaka - verbal agreement with player, still yet to agree a fee with Man Utd, player is still training with Man Utd
    Fullkrug - player open to move, clubs yet to agree on fee, player is still training with Dortmund
    Duran - possible suggestion the Fullkrug deal is a tactic to get Villa to show flexibility on the fee, not off the table yet
  • I do want AWB but have to admit I don't want to deal with Man Utd and their alleged moving of goalposts plus the severance issues we (thankfully) had with Maguire. I understand it's more money for KWP but would totally prefer him
  • Tend to agree Baz .perhaps it should be whoever gets to have a medical first =)
  • I don’t really think about the money so much, because players are always overpriced and I feel like the club are pretty sensible / cautious with financial rules, so if they think those prices are ok then I’m ok with it too.

With that in mind, ignoring fees, I can’t help but feel Wan-Bissaka is a much better signing that Walker-Peters.
  • Lukerz said:

I have seen a few accounts on ‘X’ saying that. I think Lopetegui would need to work wonders in order for that to be successful. Paquetá can be very reckless & sloppy on the ball.

Possible 11

Areola
    Wan-Bissaka - Mavropanos - Kilman - Emerson
    Kudus - Álvarez - Paquetá
    Bowen - Füllkrug - Summerville

Playing Kudus and Paqueta in a midfield three would be an invitation for other teams to play through the middle.

Its more likely we'll start the season with a midfield three of JWP, Alvarez and Paqueta with Summerville on the bench
  • Teams regularly played through our midfield last season. Only time we were solid was when we had Soucek, JWP & Alvarez all in there at once. We need a new CM but in absence of one, you could argue attack is the best form of defence.
  • Lopetegui doesn't seem to play that way, Sevilla conceded the fewest goals in La Liga 2020-21, 3rd fewest in 2019-20 and 2020-21.

By comparison Sevilla were 5th 2019/20, 7th 2020/21 and 5th 2020/21 for goals scored
  • But Lopetegui also plays with a deeper midfielder (Alvarez) with two either side pushed slightly further up. One is often a more offensive player & the other more of a link player.
  • Hopefully we can get Summerville confirmed by the end of today & hope for some updates on the other deals.
  • And finally..

Hammers working hard on Fullkrug
    West Ham are working hard to finalise a deal with Borussia Dortmund for forward Niclas Fullkrug.
    The player is understood to be keen on the move, but there is still work to do to get a full club to club agreement.
    West Ham are hopeful they can conclude a deal but are prepared to walk away if the finances aren’t right.
    They are still looking at other options including long-term target Jhon Duran from Aston Villa.
    Despite lengthy talks, they were unable to come to an agreement with Villa.
  • Ravel49 said:

An "excellent" for the news collages 👌
  • Cheers Champo 🤝🏻
  • The suggested Fullkrug numbers make me think it’s either him or Duran, and I’m more excited about Duran. That’s a lot of money for somebody of Fullkrug’s age
  • edited August 2
    Lukerz said:

But Lopetegui also plays with a deeper midfielder (Alvarez) with two either side pushed slightly further up. One is often a more offensive player & the other more of a link player.

While Paqueta or Kudus would both work as the "more offensive player" (playmaker) I don't think either would be suited as the "link player" who would have to offer more in defence (box-to-box midfielder).

From our current squad the best player for that role would be JWP
  • Does anyone else think it a little odd that Bowen has not joined up with the squad before they fly home. Should we have a Liverpool conspiracy thread?
  • Forest have signed Portuguese RW Jota Silva who we were linked with last month and Palace have signed Senegalese RW Ismaïla Sarr who we were linked with in January

Pascal Gross has left Brighton for Borussia Dortmund (played us 12 times, 4 goals, 6 assists)
  • The suggested Fullkrug numbers make me think it’s either him or Duran, and I’m more excited about Duran. That’s a lot of money for somebody of Fullkrug’s age

Firstly, to be clear, I agree. I do think Fullkrug is too old for the amount we are spending

But what I will say is that there has been quite a big push for younger players who's career is ahead of them

Fullkrug will be supported by Bowen (27), Paqueta (26), Kudus (24), Summerville (22) & Guilherme (18)

I would say that a shorter term solution is alright if A. He's Lopetegui #1 choice and B. We've shown sufficient effort on the long term to balance that our

As I said, I do agree that for his age he's to expensive but I have faith in the work that's been done this window

Do wonder why we haven't looked at Nketiah, he seems to be going for a modest fee and is a good age profile

Obviously you dunno what what's, sell-on clauses or buy-backs etc. are negotiated behind closed doors but he seems like sensible target for us
  • Whitehorse Bowen and Ariola joined them yesterday.
  • Thanks Thornbury, that's good to know, I hadn't seen that mentioned anywhere.
  • re: Reported Fullkrug fee

Part of the trouble I have is that my brain sees €25m and thinks that's a huge deal, but actually that's really not a lot when it comes to an international striker. He's not particularly reliant on pace, and it's not inconceivable that he plays another 3/4 years at the top. As long as he's not our only striker for that whole time, I'm alright with it.
  • edited August 2
    And it's only (ONLY) £21m at current exchange rates.
  • alderz said:

re: Reported Fullkrug fee

Part of the trouble I have is that my brain sees €25m and thinks that's a huge deal, but actually that's really not a lot when it comes to an international striker. He's not particularly reliant on pace, and it's not inconceivable that he plays another 3/4 years at the top. As long as he's not our only striker for that whole time, I'm alright with it.

But the main question for me is will he need to be in our team? It's all well and good not having to rely on pace when you're in a team that dominates possession and you can spend a lot of time in and around the opposition penalty box, but will his lack of pace make him ineffective in a team that isn't as dominant?

• alderz said:

re: Reported Fullkrug fee

But the main question for me is will he need to be in our team? It's all well and good not having to rely on pace when you're in a team that dominates possession and you can spend a lot of time in and around the opposition penalty box, but will his lack of pace make him ineffective in a team that isn't as dominant?

Dunno.

But we don't know how we're going to end up playing either. If the manager and the DOF want him and think he's the guy then fair enough, IMO. Presumably they have plans to be a team that has more possession. Under JL, Wolves used Jimenez to hold up the ball, be physical, link the play.
  • And another one..

• A freebie. Have to be all over that. 😂
This discussion has been closed.