Summer Transfers 2024

Comments

• alderz said:

I would love it if we signed Tomori. He and Kilman would be an awesome pairing on paper.

And therein lies the problem, they don’t play on paper, they play on grass. 😉
  • I find it odd how we sanctioned the Downes sale before getting the KWP deal over the line. Surely make them wait until we get favourable terms. Seems we are not struggling to get that sorted.
  • edited July 21
    I don't.

Off the top of my head I can see a couple of reasons not to link the 2 deals.

Possible reason 1: If we don't want Downes, why not sell - otherwise we could end up stuck with a player on the books that we don't actually want. (Don't need to make the two deals contingent - what if we agree a deal for KWP and we get gazumped?)

Possible reason 2: If the buyer met our valuation, why not sell? It's only fair to the player. Plus it gets the money into the budget and frees us up to pursue our other plans at a relatively early stage of the window.

• Lukerz said:

I find it odd how we sanctioned the Downes sale before getting the KWP deal over the line. Surely make them wait until we get favourable terms. Seems we are not struggling to get that sorted.

Why risk an acceptable deal? We may never reach agreement on KWP, so why let that scupper something that works for us and Downes?
  • There is a reason why swap deals don't happen often

If we go into negotiations with Saints we'll have a value that we have of KWP. If we are close to an agreement then once the Downes transfer goes through Saitns turn around and want £10mil more we'd likely just pull out and make it harder in the future to buy a player they may want form us

Keeping Downes hostage when Saints have met our valuation while we negotiate for KWP doesn't benefit us in any way, Saints aren't just gonna give us him on the cheap as we're effectively blackmailing them
  • I would disagree. We will have to provide Saints with something they want in return for something we want in KWP, and now that's only money, where as before we had something else they wanted in a specific player they were perhaps hoping to build their side around. They can get money from any club but we were the only club who could provide them with Downes, but now they already have him.

I doubt this was lost on our negotiators however as it's basic negotiation, I would imagine KWP either said he is not interested in playing for us or J-Lo doesn't want him as otherwise it would have made no senses to throw away a negotiating advantage.

• Looks like we are back in for Soule for £35m.
  • So an attacking midfielder is clearly a priority for us if bith Soule/Summerville are linked
  • Fulham interested in Leeds winger Summerville
    Sky Sports News' Lyall Thomas:
    Fulham are showing an initial interest in Leeds winger Crysencio Summerville.
    But the Cottagers are not the only Premier League side eyeing a move for the Dutchman with West Ham also interested in Summerville.
    The 22-year-old is one of a number of forwards the Hammers are looking at.
    Initial discussions have highlighted a big gap in valuations and West Ham would need the asking price to come down to pursue a deal.
    Summerville has entered the final two years of his contract at Leeds.
  • But can we afford his weekly wage?
  • Summerville would be an excellent signing on our left side. However it seems like we are linked with so many players but nothing happening for a fair while
  • There are a lot of names, because there always are when you’ve got dozens of journalists and even more ‘journalists’ trying to get the limelight all summer. But what’s encouraging is that there are a few names that have been very consistent. Soule, Dhuran, Wan-Bissaka, Walker-Peters. It seems like those are more likely to be the accurate stories.
  • Manchester United and West Ham are competing to sign Morocco right-back Noussair Mazraoui from Bayern Munich, who want about £19m for the 26-year-old. (Sky Sports Germany), external
    West Ham could pursue a deal for Manchester United's 26-year-old English right-back Aaron Wan-Bissaka if Mazraoui moves to Old Trafford. (Sky Sports)
  • Corriere dello Sport claim Soule wants to join Roma so he play alongside his Argentinian friends Paulo Dybala and Leandro Paredes. Roma have made an offer

C&H links us with another AC Milan defender, 22yo German CB/RB/DM Malick Thiaw and reckons that we might not be prepared to stump up the £35m they want for Tomori

Various sources say that Newcastle are also after Thiaw
  • En-Nesyri apparantly off to Fenebache for a little over €20mil

Sounds a bid mad given how often we've tried for him we weren't interested at that price (didn't we bid €40mil for him before)
  • One of the fairly reliable ITKs on KUMB says that Duran is a done deal and should be announced by the weekend.
  • Would be happy with Duran ,young and a bit to prove ,also seems like he wants to come to us ,As for the money well its not mine =)
  • I think (ok a bit of hope too) we will get Duran and AWB. There are a lot of paragraphs (very positive and hopeful ones) about both players, especially Duran.

I don't think we want or will get Soule purely because it's a position we don't need and I think he will go to a club in Europe too.

Zaha seems to have gone very quiet for us
  • Chalobah left out of Chelsea's tour... That provokes an auto want him. I think he would be a great signing and he can even play RB too
  • Bazshuayi said:

Zaha seems to have gone very quiet for us

Thankfully, I don't think I could watch us with him in the side. A truly unpleasant, unbearable cheat
  • Bazshuayi said:

Chalobah left out of Chelsea's tour... That provokes an auto want him. I think he would be a great signing and he can even play RB too

I'm really not sure Chalobah is that good a CB in a back 4. Most of his better performances have been in a back 3 or as a RB. Imo we need a good, starting CB still, then we can worry about which of our remaining 3 we can shift. Ideally it would be Zouma but I just can't see anyone taking him. I think there's interest in Aguerd, and he should generate a decent fee so I think perhaps he's the more likely to go.
  • The ☀️

West Ham have pulled out of the race to sign Lille striker Jonathan David after being asked to pay £10m in agent fees.
  • edited July 24

Ideally it would be Zouma but I just can't see anyone taking him. I think there's interest in Aguerd, and he should generate a decent fee so I think perhaps he's the more likely to go.

Lots of reports that we want Zouma to leave but no offers so far

Numerous reports saying that Atletico Madrid want to loan Aguerd with an option to buy but we want a transfer (£20m or €20m depending on the source) or a loan with a mandatory buy option. Aguerd is said to be keen on the move

He's also been linked with Nice and Lille but neither can afford his wages and he's not interested. Also four Saudi clubs supposed to be after him

C&H’s Sean Whetstone says that Duran deal is not as close as some reports suggest as we are refusing to meet Villa's £35m asking price
  • At least he would know Alvarez and Kudus (plus stick it to Utd)
  • A bit of a Google suggests that Mazaoui's wages are more than Wan-Bissaka's
This discussion has been closed.