Summer Transfers 2024

Comments

• Duran, Calver-Lewin, Nelson: West Ham looking to strengthen in attack
    Latest from Sky Sports News' Dharmesh Sheth and Alan Myers:
    West Ham also looking to strengthen in the forward areas.
    There has been interest in Aston Villa striker Jhon Duran and they have explored conditions of a potential deal.
    As yet, there has been no formal offer - and one source has told us interest has cooled slightly with a focus on other targets.
    Everton’s Dominic Calvert-Lewin is one of a number of strikers West Ham have looked at.
    And interest remains in Arsenal forward Reiss Nelson. The player wants to assess all his options with regular first team football his primary motivation.
  • can't believe we can be interested in Calvert Lewin .Have we learned nothing about signing sick notes
  • steve said:

can't believe we can be interested in Calvert Lewin .Have we learned nothing about signing sick notes

Says we have 'looked at' not 'interested in'.
  • Hopefully we will now be able to get KWP from Southampton

We also seem to be sniffing around ex Spurs Bergwjin. At least he's a left winger

Cornet played up top in a friendly, wonder if he will actually be like a new season signing (whether he plays left side or centrally)
  • Calvert-Lewin is only 27 - although his hamstrings are at least 10 years older than the rest of him
  • edited July 16
    I honestly can't believe that we've hired a technical director with a history of finding undiscovered gems to then be interested in Callum Wilson and DCL. Both good strikers, but either past their best or very injury-prone.

I'm sure the plan was to get the next Victor Boniface, not the next Andy Carroll.

I think the DCL links may possibly a hurry up to Villa to accept our bid for Duran, anyway.
  • I tend to agree with that, but the only caveat I would place in it is that we probably do need to be looking at HG players too.
  • alderz said:

I tend to agree with that, but the only caveat I would place in it is that we probably do need to be looking at HG players too.

Yeah, we'll need to have one eye on that. If Downes goes, we'll have seven HG players:

Cresswell, JWP, Antonio, Ings, Bowen, Foderingham and Kilman

By all accounts the new RB will be either KWP or AWB, so that would give us another one. Maybe this is why we're said to be looking at Reiss Nelson, too.

Just don't think Wilson or DCL are worth the risk in a position that we really need to get right.
  • alderz said:

I tend to agree with that, but the only caveat I would place in it is that we probably do need to be looking at HG players too.

Surely we're doing ok that regard

(2/1) Areola, Fab, Foderingham

(5/2) Coufal, Zouma, Aguerd, Mavropanos, Kilman, Emerson, Cresswell

(3/1) Alvarez, Soucek, JWP, Irving

(4/1) Paqueta, Kudus, Cornet, Bowen, Guilherme

(0/2) Antonio, Ings

By my count we have 14 non-homegrown players, so we can add 3 more without issue, also maybe 4 spots as I dunno if Guilherme needs to be registered as he's only 19. Plus Irving might not be in our plans, and Agurd/Zouma/Cornet futures are uncertain

Then we have our 7 homegrown players, so have just the one spot available.

But dont think we are signing 5 players without someone leaving so don't think HG quota is a big issue for us, at least not this summer

Maybe next when you'd imagine Antonio, Ings and Cresswell will leave
  • Flynn Downes has officially signed for Southampton, £18m
  • Lukerz said:

Flynn Downes has officially signed for Southampton, £18m

Approx figures:
    Kehrer - £10 mil
    Benrahma - £12 mil
    Downes - £18 mil

£40mil for 3 players who were out of the 1st team picture is a decent return imo

Effectively those 3 leaving has paid off the Kilman transfer, who was clearly a very important signing for Lopetegui

Good luck to Flynn, deffo a talented ald there and hope he goes I nto have a great career, shame it didn't work out with us
  • I hope we put a sell on percentage clause into the transfer. It feels to me that we should've waited on this until KWP transfer was done or we walk(er) way from it
  • That sounds a little cheap to me and for a player deemed by many the stand out in the Championship last season, 25m would have been more acceptable.
  • I did say 20 .Not 15 with add ons .to cheep .other teams seem to get top money
  • steve said:

I did say 20 .Not 15 with add ons .to cheep .other teams seem to get top money

While I do agree that we've been poor reocuping transfer fees, do think a lot is how valuable the player is to the selling club, I.e. us. We aren't really in a financial position to price players out of moves only for then to sit on the bench ot contributing to the club, if we think their usefulness is limited its better to get some fee than watch their value reduce year by year (Felipe Anderson comes to mind)

Downes isn't part of our first XI, and good chance that he wouldn't break in even if he did stay with us

For context, Dewsbury-Hall who was THE standout CM in the championship last year has moved for £30mil. Difference is he is Leicesters best player, so naturally they'd ask for top dollar, also he moved to Chelsea who are notorious for overpaying

Archie Gray has just gone for £30mil, but he's also an 18 year old who that star potential, and back in Jan Wharton cost Crystal Palace £18mil, again he's only 20 so his career is in front of him

Maybe we could've got £20mil, maybe £25mil but I'd have doubted that I think the players I mentioned above are worth more than Flynn imo.

Gotta tow the line a bit when it comes to how aggressive you want to be seen in setting valuations that may not be met.

I think Saints did us a solid for Ward-Prowse who I thought was relativley cheap at £30mil given all he'd achieved
  • 💥

West Ham agree deal with Nice for Todibo
    Latest from Sky Sports News reporter Dharmesh Sheth:
    West Ham have agreed a deal with Nice for defender Jean-Clair Todibo.
    The deal is a loan with an option to buy for £27m.
    However, West Ham are yet to reach an agreement Todibo, with Juventus also interested in the France international.
  • As you were 🤷‍♂️

Todibo expected to join Juventus
    Jean-Clair Todibo is expected to join Juventus despite interest from West Ham, according to The Guardian's Jacob Steinberg.
    The Hammers have agreed a loan deal with Nice for Todibo, including a £27m option to buy.
    However, the defender is understood to prefer a move to Juventus.
  • Corriere dello Sport (via C&H) say Villarreal have rejected West Ham's £25m bid for Norwegian 28yo 6' 4" CF Alexander Sorloth

Caught Offside website adds there is a €38 million release fee (£32m) and that we are prepared to offer a 6 year contract

Sorloth joined Palace January 2018 £9m, just 20 appearances, spent most of his time on loan at KAA Gent and Trabzonspor

Joined RB Leipzig August 2020 £16.7m, two season long loans at Real Sociedad 2021/22 and 2022/23.

Joined Villareal July 2023 £8.4m 41 appearances, 26 goals including 4 goals in 4-4 draw with Real Madrid
  • Right back roulette 😵‍💫

Todibo prefers Juventus move as West Ham consider Wan Bissaka
    Latest from Sky Sports News reporter Dharmesh Sheth:
    West Ham have agreed a deal with Nice for Jean-Clair Todibo but it is understood the defender's preference is a move to Juventus.
    The Hammers have agreed terms on a loan with the option to buy for £27m but do not have an agreement with Todibo.
    However, Juventus have not yet found an agreement with Nice for the France international, who has three years remaining on his deal.
    West Ham also remain interested in Manchester United defender Aaron Wan-Bissaka and internal discussions are continuing over whether to make a bid.
    United are understood to value Wan-Bissaka - who has just one year remaining on his deal - at more than £15m.
    Southampton's Kyle Walker-Peters also remains a live option but, as yet, no agreement has been reached between the clubs on a fee. Walker-Peters is also in the final year of his deal.
    West Ham are also prioritising signing a forward this summer and have looked at a number of options, including Aston Villa's Jhon Duran and Villarreal's Alexander Sorloth.
  • Wan-Bissaka at 15 mill is a steal
  • steve said:

Wan-Bissaka at 15 mill is a steal

We'll have to pay a fee, we can't go around nicking players. 😄
  • steve said:

Apparently wages are an issue, as is often the case with players at Sky 6 clubs.

I still can't understand why the 2 guys we've been most linked for RB (AWB and KWP) are such different players, it suggests we haven't got a particular plan as to how we're going to play 🤔🤔🤔.
  • Apparently Salthouse (strong links with us and also AWBs agent) is pushing Sullivan to sign him... Perhaps it's close. I'd like him and KWP but where transfers are concerned Ive always been greedy

Hopefully Juventus will not be able to do a deal financially in proximity and Mr Todibo will swallow it and come to us. You know it makes sense!

Can't say I want Sorloth. He didn't do anything at Palace and has had one good season. Adeyemi would be good. Also that Georgian geezers move to Lyon may collapse so, as he's cheaper, we will probably go back and try for him IMO

Rom a dreamers point of view, AWB and Todibo would be amazing additions (despite KWP being way more offensively skilled)
  • Solet is our switch from Todibo and Reiss Nelson is keen to join us (who wouldn't be!)
  • ITK on KUMB says Duran & Todibo are close
  • A matter of Juventus being interested enough to sort the finances out (which may happen if they sell Soule to Leicester... Or us.
  • edited July 17
    Todibo
    Wan-Bissaka
    Nelson
    Duran

Links today that we are negotiating with.
  • To be fair, Villa should give us a heavy discount on Duran after we bought Ings from them! Although it's nice he scored in the 2-2 draw. Another hope he will remember how to be a fox striker and be an asset to the new manager
  • steve said:

I still can't understand why the 2 guys we've been most linked for RB (AWB and KWP) are such different players, it suggests we haven't got a particular plan as to how we're going to play 🤔🤔🤔.
    Either that, or Lopetegui knows exactly what he wants from a RB and feels that either of those two are capable of fulfilling what he wants. KWP is definitely more attacking, but both are good one on one defenders with great recovery pace. Maybe he wants a right back who is a solid defender, giving Emerson a bit more licence to get forward.
This discussion has been closed.