Summer Transfers 2024

Comments

• As some earlier posts, I’m confused as to what our transfer strategy is? I understand any manager will want his own players, but we appear to be focusing on positions we already have cover for - although it can ALWAYS be improved upon.
    IMO:
    Centre back. We should be ok at centre back with the arrival of Kilman.
    Coufal had a reasonable season at full back, as did Emerson on the other side. We had cover in Johnson and Cresswell. Yet we sold Johnson, but are looking at new full backs.
    In central midfield we have Alvarez, JWP, Soucek and Downes. Lopetegui obviously saw something in Downes he didn’t like. He was sent to the Championship to “learn his trade”, was one of the players of the year, so would have been reasonable cover. Yet we sold him, and are supposedly are looking to replace.
    Arguably, we need cover in attacking midfield for Paqueta, Kudus, and Bowen. Cornet is possibly OK when fit, but we recently sold Benrahma and Fornals.
    I think most of us believe we need a striker/goal scorer. But still we don’t have anyone bar Antonio and Ings. Yet we haven’t done anything yet.
    I hope we get this sorted out soon and get people in before the season starts.
  • Bazshuayi said:

Can't say I want Sorloth. He didn't do anything at Palace and has had one good season.

He was 22 when he joined Palace and only played 20 times in two half seasons before he was loaned out to Gent then spent a season long loan at Trabzonspor (33 goals in 49)

Didn't have a great time the following season with RB Leipzig, just 6 goals in 37 but only 15 starts, then two seasons on loan at Real Sociedad, 24 goals in 90. Obviously did well enough in La Liga to interest Villarreal

Maybe he's taken a while to reach his peak
  • As some earlier posts, I’m confused as to what our transfer strategy is? I understand any manager will want his own players, but we appear to be focusing on positions we already have cover for - although it can ALWAYS be improved upon.
    IMO:
    Coufal had a reasonable season at full back, as did Emerson on the other side. We had cover in Johnson and Cresswell. Yet we sold Johnson, but are looking at new full backs.
    In central midfield we have Alvarez, JWP, Soucek and Downes. Lopetegui obviously saw something in Downes he didn’t like. He was sent to the Championship to “learn his trade”, was one of the players of the year, so would have been reasonable cover. Yet we sold him, and are supposedly are looking to replace.
    Arguably, we need cover in attacking midfield for Paqueta, Kudus, and Bowen. Cornet is possibly OK when fit, but we recently sold Benrahma and Fornals.
    I think most of us believe we need a striker/goal scorer. But still we don’t have anyone bar Antonio and Ings. Yet we haven’t done anything yet.

This post doesn't make any sense to me, I dunno how you can't see there is a strategy

We've signed Kilman who was obviously important to Lopetegui, and our CBs are already 1 down with Ogbonna. And then the 2nd centre back is clearly because we had a god awful defence last year. Aguerd seems like he's gone and Zouma is clearly not the same guy anymore, his mobility is horrible

We didn't sell Johnson, he left. We offered hi ma deal an the said no. KWP and AWB are big updates over him, maybe even upgrades over Coufal. Also Coufal is 32 with a year left to this deal, very real chance he's gone next year, it's called forward planning

"Arguably, we need cover in attacking midfield".... we signed Guilherme.... a top attacking prospect

"Yet we haven’t done anything yet.".... we've bid for Duran & Sorloth at a minimum.... probably others

Don't know what you expect
    IMO:

This post doesn't make any sense to me, I dunno how you can't see there is a strategy

We've signed Kilman who was obviously important to Lopetegui, and our CBs are already 1 down with Ogbonna. And then the 2nd centre back is clearly because we had a god awful defence last year. Aguerd seems like he's gone and Zouma is clearly not the same guy anymore, his mobility is horrible

We didn't sell Johnson, he left. We offered hi ma deal an the said no. KWP and AWB are big updates over him, maybe even upgrades over Coufal. Also Coufal is 32 with a year left to this deal, very real chance he's gone next year, it's called forward planning

"Arguably, we need cover in attacking midfield".... we signed Guilherme.... a top attacking prospect

"Yet we haven’t done anything yet.".... we've bid for Duran & Sorloth at a minimum.... probably others

Don't know what you expect
    I think my wording may have been wrong - apologies. I’m not suggesting we shouldn’t be improving these areas, just that we should be focusing on the areas we can see need urgent attention e.g. centre back and striker / goalscorer. Maybe I’m too cynical, but I only believe the rumours or ITKs when we actually sign someone. It seems we have been linked to everyone over the last few years. We’ve signed Kilman, and are told Guilherme may be for now, or may be for the future.

In saying that I’ll give the new manager a chance as always to get the right people in, that can play in his system. 🙂⚒
  • On the plus side, Irving is finally (officially) part of the first team squad:

https://www.whufc.com/players/713
  • Only just seen that Kilman was born in Chelsea to Ukrainian parents.
  • edited July 19
    😳 This actually has substance

West Ham are in talks to sign France midfielder N'Golo Kante, 33, from Saudi Pro League club Al-Ittihad in a deal which could cost in the region of £20m. (Guardian)

West Ham interested in bringing Kante back to Premier League
    Latest from Sky Sports News' Dharmesh Sheth:
    West Ham are interested in signing former Chelsea midfielder N'Golo Kante from Al Ittihad.
    Initial soundings have indicated a deal could cost in the region of £20m, with West Ham deciding whether to formally make a bid.
    Wages could prove to be an obstacle for the Hammers to acquire the 33-year-old, who moved to Saudi ­Arabia in 2023 after seven years with Chelsea.
    The France international started all six of his country's games at Euro 2024 and has two years remaining on his Al Ittihad contract.

• I don't think Kantes body can handle to premier league any more. Brilliant player but he's been playing in a league where he probably doesn't push his body anywhere near as much as he'd need to in the prem.
  • IF he signs, might as well book the league trophy bus parade now 😮‍💨
  • If he signs, despite his age I would support it. Has anyone heard of any updates on Alvarez's injury?
  • West Ham in talks to bring N’Golo Kanté back from Saudi Arabia for £20m https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/jul/18/west-ham-in-talks-over-20m-deal-to-bring-ngolo-kante-back-from-saudi-arabia

Paying £20m for 33 year old does not look like good business. In June 2023, he signed for a Saudi team Al-Ittihad on a four year contract reported to be worth £86m (€100m). I can't see anything positive in this.
  • Kante isn't very strange move and not one I'm a fan of

If he could cope with the rigours of the Prem, Chelsea would've tried harder to keep him

He can't keep himself fit, is 33, is on MONSTER wages and has shown his ambition by cashing out to the Saudi league

Deffo not the type of deal we should be pursuing
  • Wonder who the elusive striker will turn out to be 🤔

• There is no doubt Kante is a gamble but if it can be made happen it's one I would take. The guy is all class and at 33 he is still 6 years younger than Luka Modric will be in September.
  • Italian and French sources reporting that Juventus have started talks over Tobido

Guess he won't be coming to London unless its for Champions League away matches...
  • As is almost always the case, it's down to the money, both fee and wages. They would be no resale value, so you're writing off any fee paid over the length of the contract (I know, from an accounting perspective, you do that with all purchases, but, for instance, you would hope that Kudus would either sign a new contract with us or be sold for decent money, rather than be worth nothing to us at the end of his contract), plus his wages would likely be considerable even if they are a huge step down from what he's currently earning and what he was paid at Chelsea. We can't afford to disrupt our pay scale for a guy who is unlikely to be fit to play week in week out.

A 2 year contract with a 1+1 year option on no more than £125k might be worth considering if the fee is £15m or less; we do need cover for Alvarez (hence the loan of Phillips in January), and even in-match cover as he seemed to struggle to get through matches last season and is obviously missing a normal pre-season this time around. We've a couple of very promising youngsters who, whilst maybe not ready just yet given the game time Alvarez's understudy will undoubtedly get, would surely learn a lot by having Kante in the squad.

So although Kante really doesn't fit the profile of player I'd like to see us looking for when recruiting, if the deal is right then it might not be the worst deal ever.
  • buffy having read your interesting and thought out statement .its a no from me
  • It all depends on his wages, so for that reason alone will probably not happen.
  • steve said:

buffy having read your interesting and thought out statement .its a no from me

Thanks for taking the time to read my post 😊.

• Al Ittihad have rejected £15m bid for Kante, £25m upward for them to even consider it, the club don't want to sell and he's happy where he is (The Athletic)

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5647962/2024/07/19/ngolo-kante-west-ham-transfers/

I didn't realise he started all of France's Euro games, only got subbed off twice and played the whole of extra time in the Quarter Final against Portugal. Not quite over the hill yet

According to 90 mins he's on around £400k pw with two years left on his contract

Don't see this happening
  • He will probably end up back at Chelsea
  • edited July 20
    I don't think Chelsea could afford him given their massive £400m wage bill! They had to sell two of the Ken Bates hotels to keep within Premier League profit and sustainability rules although that is being investigated

Sterling, Lukaku and Reece-James are allegedly top earners on £325k pw although Lukaku could finally be off their books as there are reports he's agreed terms with Napoli. He has a £37m release clause but rumours Chelsea would accept £20m

Good news, C&H contributor Sean Whetstone on Twitter reckons we have turned down Calvert-Lewin

https://x.com/westhamfootball/status/1814318595364589576
  • Kyle Walker-Peters absent for a friendly against Eastleigh yesterday but local rag Daily Echo claims that he's been offered a new contract
  • No news on Solanke .not even a whisper .thought we might go for him but guess not
  • West Ham have a verbal agreement to sign France midfielder N'Golo Kante, 33, from Al Ittihad. (The Athletic - the subscription required)

Lille are looking to sign West Ham Morocco defender Nayef Aguerd, 28, as a replacement for French defender Leny Yoro, 18, who has signed for Manchester United. (L'Equipe - in French)
  • steve said:

No news on Solanke .not even a whisper .thought we might go for him but guess not

Solanke has been linked with Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs. According to The Athletic there's a £65m release clause but only to specific clubs (identity unknown) and Liverpool get 20%

Guess we're not on the list

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5545358/2024/06/06/dominic-solanke-clause-contract-transfer/
  • De Bruyne agrees Al Ittihad personal terms
    Kevin De Bruyne has agreed personal terms to join Saudi Pro League side Al Ittihad, according to a report in the Daily Mail.

Could then free up Kante

#speculating

• Next up doing the round on X is Fikayo Tomori
  • I would love it if we signed Tomori. He and Kilman would be an awesome pairing on paper.
This discussion has been closed.