Summer Transfers 2024

Comments

• Thats why it's beneficial for him to stay.
    He'd get 1 year with us and 2 at Southampton. If he goes now he's only guaranteed 2 years at Southampton. He'd have to find c.£6.5m in his third year somewhere. If he gets 3 years at Southampton he gets an additional £3.64m wages but loses the £1m 'free transfer' sign on bonus, so he's still £4m down.

Why would Southampton pay us to supplement his wages after the move?
  • IronHerb said:

Thats why it's beneficial for him to stay.
    He'd get 1 year with us and 2 at Southampton. If he goes now he's only guaranteed 2 years at Southampton. He'd have to find c.£6.5m in his third year somewhere. If he gets 3 years at Southampton he gets an additional £3.64m wages but loses the £1m 'free transfer' sign on bonus, so he's still £4m down.

Why would Southampton pay us to supplement his wages after the move?

Why would he only be guaranteed 2 years at Southampton if he goes now, but he'd still get 2 years if he signs there next summer?

Southampton wouldn't pay us to supplement his wages, we'd compensate Ings for the lower wages he'd receive (out of the £5/6m transfer fee we'd receive) for what would have been the final year of his contract with us. Also, if he signed a 3 year contract with Southampton now (or even a 2 year one), he's covered for longer if he suffers a career ending injury in the first game of the season.

There's pros and cons, but he needn't be out of pocket, and he'd likely get more game time there if that's important to him.

Also, just because he says he doesn't want to move, doesn't mean that's the case; it could easily be a negotiating tactic.
  • edited July 10
    Ings isn't going, he knows he is at the tail end of his career, much like Zouma and his banged up knee wherever they go next their pay packet is going down not up. I think both players will be here and both be gone next summer.
    With Ogbonna , Lanzini , Fornals etc going; Cresswell probably gone next year as well and probably Antonio. The contract situation is starting to catch up with the club where we had a number of aging players that we never truly replaced and are now hitting a spot where the club has to make up for it or simply just be down a squad player.
    This is the kind of problem i was talking about 2 years ago is that the club are not only having to replace at a deficit of losing Ogbonna / Lanzini etc but also players wanting away like Paqueta and maybe Kudus next year. The club will struggle to operate a one in one out policy because it will not have the funds to keep up, meaning the overall squad depth will suffer overall with having to keep on older players that offer little or reducing the number of available players down to a point where an injury or two means your season could collapse fast.
  • edited July 12
    West Ham have fended off interest from Manchester City and will keep 16-year-old English midfielder Chinaza Nwosu at their academy. (Football Insider)

DAILY EXPRESS

Newcastle have joined West Ham in the race to sign Lille's Canada striker Jonathan David.

• Imagine if we actually sign a striker and he scores lots of goals for us and is here for a good few years
  • edited July 12

Imagine if we actually sign a striker and he scores lots of goals for us and is here for a good few years

You may say I'm a dreamer 🎵 😂🤣😂

• Yeah that’s beyond fantasy football dreams!
  • What are people's thoughts on Jhon Duran. £35 million is a fair chunk, but hs is young.
  • What are people's thoughts on Jhon Duran. £35 million is a fair chunk, but hs is young.

Watched him a couple of times and he looked a real threat. Obviously didn’t get that much time with Watkins ahead of him but from the glimpses I’ve seen he’d be that Antonio replacement we were looking for.
  • When I've watched him coming on as sub he's looked lively and a decent finisher. The fee seems on the excessive side for me (although I won't be complaining if we buy him)
  • Couple of times I saw him looks okay .But like others have said 35 mill is a lot .can't say I have seen him for a whole 90 mins .Not even sure Villa played him a full game .But he is young worth taking I guess and he is use to England so should fit right in
  • edited July 14
    West Ham have expressed an interest in Netherlands winger Steven Bergwijn, 26, but Marseille and two Saudi Arabian clubs are also hoping to lure him from Ajax. (De Telegraaf - in Dutch)

Everton, West Ham and Newcastle are set to miss out on Federico Gatti, 26, with the Italy defender ready to commit his future to Juventus. (Tuttosport)

THE ATHLETIC

Southampton manager Russell Martin has said he will "cry himself to sleep" if the club do not complete the permanent signing of midfielder Flynn Downes from West Ham United this summer.
  • Bazshuayi said:

When I've watched him coming on as sub he's looked lively and a decent finisher. The fee seems on the excessive side for me (although I won't be complaining if we buy him)

Won't lie, kinda just stopped caring about transfer fees as much as I used to

If it's an older guy it's a bit different, but when you are trying to by top prospects who's career are ahead of then you are buying their potential not just them

Same with Guilherme, got no idea if he's worth the money but whatever, it's an exciting signing

We need a Striker, and he has ability and a lot of attributes we'd want from our #9

So yea, seems like he could be a decent signing in paper
  • edited July 14
    When everybody is back, we already have a reasonable first 11 (not to say we should not strengthen further):

Areola
    Coufal - Zouma - Kilman - Emerson
    Soucek - Alvarez
    Bowen - Kudus - Paqueta
    Antonio

Fabianski, Aguerd, Mavropanos, Cresswell, Downes, Ward-Prowse, Cornet, Guilherme, Ings

Players not included: Foderingham

(I’ve tweaked the side as I don’t like Kudus on the left but don’t think Bowen will play up front under JL)

If JL can coach that side & get an extra 10% out of them in terms of performance/consistency or improve certain players, we are still in a very good place.
  • edited July 14
    Russell Martin on Flynn Downes: “Hopefully, before the end of the summer, he will be in a Southampton shirt. If he’s not, I will cry myself to sleep.” #saintsfc [echo]

Russell Martin on Flynn Downes: “I hope, that at some point, we will show enough love and give West Ham enough money [for him].” #saintsfc @dailyecho

Yep, ball definitely in our court. Get a good look at him over pre-season, sell at end of August if needed.
  • Lukerz said:

When everybody is back, we already have a reasonable first 11 (not to say we should not strengthen further):

Areola
    Soucek - Alvarez
    Bowen - Kudus - Paqueta
    Antonio

Fabianski, Aguerd, Mavropanos, Cresswell, Downes, Ward-Prowse, Cornet, Guilherme, Ings

Players not included: Foderingham

And Andy Irving
  • Lukerz said:

Areola
    Soucek - Alvarez
    Bowen - Kudus - Paqueta
    Antonio

There's a huge question mark for me over at least 2 of your starters, namely Zouma and Antonio. Zouma necessitates playing a low block as he simply can't play up-field as he can't turn or run to get back in position. Antonio is able to give less and less each season; there's no way whatsoever he should be a starter.

Added to that Soucek really doesn't strike me as a J-Lo type CM, especially with Coufal as the FB on his side. Then there's the fact that we have no idea whether Paqueta will be available this season, and also Alvarez is out injured and probably won't be match fit until 2 months into the season.

Unless we get very active in the transfer market I'm expecting a depressing season, so it's all on you Tim.

• We may be overly judging Zouma's issue (or maybe not), as he either has a physical deterioration or maybe something that may have benefitted from a good summer rest. If it were the second he is a class act who still has a role. I do agree it's probably the first scenario.
  • Last season Zouma missed 5 games through injury and one of those was due to illness (according to Transfermarkt). I don’t know that he’s the future, but I do think the “Zouma’s finished” narrative is overegging the pudding a bit.
  • alderz said:

Last season Zouma missed 5 games through injury and one of those was due to illness (according to Transfermarkt). I don’t know that he’s the future, but I do think the “Zouma’s finished” narrative is overegging the pudding a bit.

So are you happy for last season's Zouma to be a starting CB this season?

• Last season we finished top half while while we were playing in Europe, with games twice a week.

I think you (buffy) are setting the bar way too high.

• edited July 14
    I just don't think that Zouma can play football effectively at mid PL standard any more; he's just too immobile. Obviously it's not all on him, but we conceded more PL goals than anyone except the 3 relegated teams, and part of it is that his physical limitations in a large part dictated how we had to set up defensively.
  • alderz said:

Last season Zouma missed 5 games through injury and one of those was due to illness (according to Transfermarkt). I don’t know that he’s the future, but I do think the “Zouma’s finished” narrative is overegging the pudding a bit.

So are you happy for last season's Zouma to be a starting CB this season?

Personally, yes
  • I read that Lopetegui wanted to sign Mavropanos when he was at Wolves so possibly he'd start alongside Kilman rather than Zouma
  • Hope its a good fee 20 mill at lest ,But knowing us could be 10 mill
  • A deal that seems to suit all parties
  • Maybe JL has seen him in training and feels he won’t be using him that much.
  • steve said:

Hope its a good fee 20 mill at lest ,But knowing us could be 10 mill

Sky Sports report that Downes has been given permission to have a medical with Saints ahead of a return to the club.
    They are reporting that Saints have agreed to pay West Ham £18million for the former Ipswich Town and Swansea City man.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/24452564.southampton-fc-reportedly-agree-deal-sign-flynn-downes/
This discussion has been closed.