Summer Transfers 2024

Comments

• Kilman and Guilherme is a very good start of the window on paper
  • Wes walks into the room
  • edited July 5
  • Sky Sports News reporter Dharmesh Sheth:
    "West Ham United and Wolves are finalising the terms of the deal that would see defender Max Kilman move to the London Stadium.
    "Kilman is expected to complete his medical today and sign off on the personal terms.
    "West Ham cautiously optimistic a deal can be fully completed over the weekend after agreeing a fee in the region of £40m.
    "Kilman may not be the only central defender West Ham sign in this window.
    "Further reinforcements could depend on departures after they had a bid rejected for Nice Jean-Clair Todibo."
  • Sky Sports News reporter Dharmesh Sheth:
    "In terms of incomings, I think they are looking for a forward. There was tentative interest in Jonathan David, who is currently at Copa America with Canada.
    "His future is likely to be sorted when his tournament is over. Significantly, he has entered the final year of his contract at Lille and his valuation is understood to be ebtween £20-£25m.
    "The Lille president has already made it clear that David will be allowed to leave in this window. West Ham one of a number of Premier League clubs to have looked at him.
    "Chelsea, Man Utd and Tottenham are all keeping an eye on his situation."
  • 💥
    Kilman completes West Ham medical
    Sky Sports News reporter Dharmesh Sheth:
    "Max Kilman has just completed his medical ahead of a £40m move to West Ham from Wolves.
    "The Hammers are cautiously optimistic the deal can be completed this weekend.
    "Kilman looks set to be reunited with new West Ham boss Julen Lopetegui, with whom he worked at Wolves."
  • Really happy with Kilman signing. I’ve thought for a long time that he’d be a good player for us, but far more importantly than that, the manager has said that’s his first choice, Steidten has gone out and got him, and the board haven’t got in the way. Backing the new man is great to see
  • edited July 6
    Very happy with this signing. He’s an excellent player, brings balance to the defence & is a potential captain.
  • West Ham are keen on a move for Villarreal forward Alexander Sorloth, 28, but the Norwegian has a release clause worth around £32m at the La Liga club. (AS - in Spanish)
  • Really strong signing and deffo a problem position for us last year

Maybe expensive but fees are all over the shop at the moment so value is a bit irrelevant at the moment, you gotta spend what you want for your top targets

Gotta assume that this confirms Aguerds departure, hopefully for a decent fee, and fully expect us to get another CB when we do

Hopefully the club prioritise a striker now
  • We don’t often sign key players from PL rivals. I remember Arnautovic was probably the last, maybe Ayew from Swansea. It’s usually squad players or players outside the first 11. It’s a statement & has a high chance of being successful.
  • So looking at the squad, we probably now NEED:
    RB, CM, AM/WG, ST - four players

We could probably do with:
    Additional AM/WG, LB - six in total

We will probably lose:
    Ings, Downes, a CB, Cornet
  • I'd love us to lose Ings and Cornet, but whether we can offload them is another matter entirely.

Another CB is a huge NEED imo; Zouma is broken and Aguerd just doesn't seem suited to the physicality of the PL and is said to want a move anyway. I would love us to lose at least one, if not both of them; Aguerd will have suitors but whether they will pay what we want for him is something else, and with Zouma I think we'll be lucky for anyone to take him off our hands.
  • Still lots to do, but at the moment I would just settle for a Striker then a backup/young full back

Obviously Paqueta needs replacing if he leaves/ gets banned but this is gonna take a while this rebuild

Pretty shocking we elt our squad get to this stage but thats what we have, lot to do for Lopetegui
  • Kilman confirmed, 7 year contract and he's currently 27. That's long term planning!!!

https://www.whufc.com/news/west-ham-united-complete-signing-central-defender-maximilian-kilman-wolves
  • Still lots to do, but at the moment I would just settle for a Striker then a backup/young full back

Obviously Paqueta needs replacing if he leaves/ gets banned but this is gonna take a while this rebuild

Pretty shocking we elt our squad get to this stage but thats what we have, lot to do for Lopetegui

I’d add a left winger to that but overall dont want us to overdo it.
  • edited July 6

Still lots to do, but at the moment I would just settle for a Striker then a backup/young full back

Tbh I've been banging this particular drum for a long time, but a good few here won't have it.

Tbh I've been banging this particular drum for a long time, but a good few here won't have it.
    Yea I thought our squad issue was obvious to pretty much everyone

Areola, Fab, Foderingham, Coufal, Kilman, Zouma, Aguerd, Mavropanos, Cresswell, Emerson, JWP, Alvarez, Soucek, Downes, Bowen, Kudus, Paqueta, Guilherme, Cornet, Ings, Antonio

That makes 21 "first team" players by my count, including Downes, Ings, Aguerd, Cornet (Antonio?) who likely won't be here come end of the window (or at least we would like to see go for the right deal) and potentially Paqueta being banned

Bit of a mess given how many of those I listed above are 30 or over

Hopefully no Europe helps them stay fresh but an injury or 2 away from being significantly weaker
  • Very pleased Kilman has joined!

I do wonder striker wise who Tim will get for us.

Hoping KWP, Greaves, LW, CM to go with a striker or two…

Very happy that Tim’s the person in charge of our recruitment.
  • Aguerd would make a great back up centre back and he is still young, I know there was talk of him wanting to leave but he could be a great back up and could be even better in a year or two.
  • Aguerd would make a great back up centre back and he is still young, I know there was talk of him wanting to leave but he could be a great back up and could be even better in a year or two.

He's 28, he's not a kid. Whilst I agree that CBs peak later than most other outfield positions, he should be at his peak now. The problem is we need a starting CB for alongside Kilman; having £25m or so tied up in Aguerd as a back-up doesn't stack up for a club our size when we have so many other gaps in our squad, especially if, as has been suggested, he wants to go anyway.
  • I will admit I thought he was about 24 by the look of him.
  • Aguerd obviously has ability and I think it's a case of what environment he plays. I don't think he will be suited to the Prem or adapt to it. So, for me, that's too much money on our bench for a player who is sellable
  • Obviously this is "according to reports", but sounds like Aguerd has no interest in staying and honestly I'm happy if he leaves if we can get a solid fee

Looks good on the ball and has shown promise buy he's also looked incredibly weak for a CB (especially as he doesn't lack size) and has made a lot of.errors

Kilman is a left footed CB, we can't really have a sellable asset like Aguerd on the bench especially if he doenst want to be here

Sell and reinvest
  • Heavens forbid that a head coach should coach someone to be better.

I'd like to see someone doing that, not just buying new players that he's managed before.

It's what they all do.
  • MrsGrey said:

Heavens forbid that a head coach should coach someone to be better.

I'd like to see someone doing that, not just buying new players that he's managed before.

It's what they all do.

Have I missed something?

Has Lopetegui already signed 25 players this summer?
  • MrsGrey said:

Heavens forbid that a head coach should coach someone to be better.

It's what they all do.

Whilst I agree that a coach or manager should be able to improve players, it feels to me that Aguerd isn't particularly suited to the physicality of the PL. He has often looked weak, especially in the air, and, although it's true that that weakness is more likely to be exposed in the low block generally employed by Moyes than a more possession based style we're all hoping to see under J-Lo, I just don't think a change in style is suddenly going to prevent him being out-muscled or from losing too many headers.

• Interestingly, I was reading some of the comments from Wolves fans on articles on BBC and The Athletic, and consensus seemed to be that he’s great on the ball, positioning is excellent, and that he’ll be missed. But that he is lightweight in their opinion, struggles against physical strikers, and needs a no-nonsense partner to really thrive. All of which reminds me of Aguerd criticism.
This discussion has been closed.