Summer Transfers 2024

Comments

• Tottenham and West Ham have joined the race to sign 22-year-old English winger Jaden Philogene from Hull City. (Football Insider)
  • The Times says that after negotiations with Wolves we are going to make a third bid for Kilman

Graeme Bailey (TeamTalk, 90 mins, etc,) says Zouma doesn't want to leave

L’Equipe reckon we've slapped a £38m price tag on Aguerd which is more than Lyon are willing to pay

However C&H are reporting that Benrahma might be on his way back from Lyon as they have been slapped with a transfer embargo and can't take up the £15m loan-to-permanent option

And a new name to think about. Faro di Vigo (local newspaper) has linked Wolves, Villa and us with Celta's 24yo 6' 4" Norwegian CF Jorgen Strand Larsen. Signed an 8 year deal in 2022, scored 13 in 39 (36 starts) this season
  • Everton's 26yo RB Ben Godfrey, spent more time on the bench than the pitch last season, going to Atalanta for £10m

Does anyone else think this is a bit odd?
  • Good deal if this happens. KWP is an upgrade on Johnson, IMO. Decent age, good pedigree, can play on either side and ticks the HG box.

Would have liked Downes to be given a chance, but if money is as tight as is being suggested, a straight swap - or maybe some cash coming our way - is too good a deal to turn down. Would give us much-needed options at full back with little to no outlay.
  • I mean is exwhuemployee a reliable source? Genuinely
  • Historically as good as any of them. Not 100% accurate, but none of them ever will be.

Interesting that The Athletic - also one of the better sources - are saying there's been approach from Southampton for Downes, so already seems to be some conflicting news.

As always, time will tell. But I'd be happy if this one happens.
  • There’s so much guff.. especially on twitter / X it’s hard to know who knows there stuff and is actually informed!
    Cheers OCS 👍🏻
  • Downes for Walker-Peters makes a lot of sense

Downes looks good but with Alvarez, JWP, Soucek and potentially Paqueta as options infront of him he's not really that useful

Walker Peters may not be better than Coufal but he's only 27, is good at either flank, experienced, relatively injury free and sure has something to prove

He's a big upgrade over Johnson
  • Has there been any confirmation that Benrahma will be returning for pre-season training?
  • MIAHammer said:

Has there been any confirmation that Benrahma will be returning for pre-season training?

• Reckon this is a hurry-up to Wolves. I think Kilman is the one we really want.
  • Apparently we've rejected a £500k bid from Gremio for Antonio (sky sports)

Not a lot of money but he's 34 and into his final year, guess the benefit of him leaving is wages

Would prefer he stays as a reliable back-up to the striker we surely wanna buy
  • That's an insulting bid.
  • edited June 28
    The Athletic are saying it was a £2m bid:

• edited June 28
    I think KWP is a big upgrade at RB/RWB and the fact he can play left too is a big plus. I wanted us to try for him when Soton got relegated

Also there was a report a day or two ago that there was no more embargo and the Benni option was going to be taken up
  • Chalobah, Greaves and OBrien would be nice acquisitions for our defence. Too greedy of me?
  • Apparently Ken Browns grandson Luis is going to be joining us (primarily a LB)
  • To bad when you remember Ken Brown =)
  • He's still at the club so it can be forgiven 😊
  • Bazshuayi said:

Chalobah, Greaves and OBrien would be nice acquisitions for our defence. Too greedy of me?

We could conceivably need three new CBs if Zouma and Aguerd are sold. I still think Kilman will be signed, and then a second, cheaper CB will come in if/when Aguerd goes.

Kilman and Greaves would be my choices if it was two, but I wouldn't be unhappy with Chalobah. Haven't seen enough of O'Brien to know whether he'd be a good fit.
  • I'd be very happy with those two. Chalobahs price has always been detailed pretty high considering he wasn't getting games until near the end of the season but he's always looked good when I've watched him (and that includes going forward when he's played on the right)

I do fear we will give up on Kilman as that 45M doesn't seem like it'll budge. So Chalobah and Greaves potentially for all the Kilman money and change
  • Various sources saying Chelsea have offered Chabolah to Forest as part-ex for Murillo
  • Personally, I think Kilman is the outstanding candidate of the bunch. Really good on the ball, quick, good in the air, HUGE, a leader, exactly what we need. Also left footed.

After that, I really rate Chalobah, and I know very little about Greaves or O’Brien, but from what I’ve read, Greaves appears to the better prospect.
  • Ravel49 said:

There’s so much guff.. especially on twitter / X it’s hard to know who knows there stuff and is actually informed!
    Cheers OCS 👍🏻

Welcome to my world.

• Invariably we've been linked with 23yo Georgian CF Georges Mikautadze who has scored a goal in every Group game.

He was a Metz youth player, sold to Ajax last summer, made just 9 appearances, failed to score but was mostly played out of position. He was loaned back to Metz in January and will rejoin Metz on a permanent deal next week despite them getting relegated to Ligue 2

Newcastle, Borussia Dortmund, Napoli, Monaco, Lyon and Marseille are also linked
  • If £45 million is required for Kilman then go and get him. I am sure we will get £30m plus for Aguerd.

I would take anything for Zouma, and then get in x2 more young CB's.

I am not asking for much am I.
  • is he 16 or 17 .no matter if he has signed for the PRESENT.and future then we really have moved on from Moyes
This discussion has been closed.