Summer Transfers 2024

Comments

• So your saying we go back in for Dawson then? 😂
  • IronHerb said:

So your saying we go back in for Dawson then? 😂

Always and forever
  • alderz said:

Interestingly, I was reading some of the comments from Wolves fans on articles on BBC and The Athletic, and consensus seemed to be that he’s great on the ball, positioning is excellent, and that he’ll be missed. But that he is lightweight in their opinion, struggles against physical strikers, and needs a no-nonsense partner to really thrive. All of which reminds me of Aguerd criticism.

I must say he has never stood out to me regarding a commanding performance when we have played them. I do think though that due to VAR it's more possible to get away with being a little light weight in all positions. The days of a brutal centre half going through everyone are now gone, along with the usefulness of the Duncan Fergusons and Andy Carrols of the world to counter them. In turn I think the arrival of the more mobile, speedier and ball playing centre halves is only going to become more a skill set for the position.

What I am most optimistic about is that the player and manager have already worked together, it tells me the manager doesn't feel he is taking a chance and that he thoroughly believes he is worth the battle to get him and just as importantly we have a player very happy to work with our new manager again, which hopefully tells us he knows what he is doing regard building relationships with his players.

• West Ham value Jarrod Bowen at more than £100m and have no plans to sell the 27-year-old England forward this summer despite interest from Newcastle United. (Football Insider)

Spain midfielder Aleix Garcia, 27, says West Ham tried to sign him from Girona but he chose to join Bayer Leverkusen instead. (Diari de Girona, via Standard)
  • Areola
    Coufal - Zouma - Kilman - Emerson
    Soucek - Ward-Prowse
    Bowen - Paqueta - Kudus
    Antonio

Fabianski
    RB - Mavropanos - Aguerd - Cresswell
    Downes - CM
    Guilherme - AM - Cornet
    Ings

We can see we need a RB, CM & a creative type player. Then we have the repeat debate about Antonio & Ings as strikers, plus Cresswell as a back-up LB.
  • Lukerz said:

Areola
    Soucek - Ward-Prowse
    Bowen - Paqueta - Kudus
    Antonio

Fabianski
    Downes - CM
    Guilherme - AM - Cornet
    Ings

We can see we need a RB, CM & a creative type player. Then we have the repeat debate about Antonio & Ings as strikers, plus Cresswell as a back-up LB.

You missed Alvarez
  • Ahhhhhhh
  • Surely Earthy is part of the first team squad next season.
  • Lukerz said:

Areola
    Soucek - Alvarez
    Bowen - Paqueta - Kudus
    Antonio

Fabianski
    Downes - Ward-Prowse
    Guilherme - AM - Cornet
    Ings

We can see we need a RB & a creative type player at the least. Then we have the repeat debate about Antonio & Ings as strikers, plus Cresswell as a back-up LB.

• Surely Earthy is part of the first team squad next season.

You'd like to think so but you never know with youth players
  • I don’t think they have to be included in the 25 squad players
  • Lukerz said:

Areola
    Soucek - Alvarez
    Bowen - Paqueta - Kudus
    Antonio

Fabianski
    Downes - Ward-Prowse
    Guilherme - AM - Cornet
    Ings

We can see we need a RB & a creative type player at the least. Then we have the repeat debate about Antonio & Ings as strikers, plus Cresswell as a back-up LB.

For me it's a case of:
    Zouma - can't be a starter unless something miraculous has happened with his knees
    Soucek - really doesn't strike me as a J-Lo type starter, more likely JWP, but is he good enough?
    Paqueta - will he be available?
    Antonio - definitely shouldn't be a starting CF

So, to my mind, that's 3 possibly 4 places that need filling in the starting 11 alone.

Then:
    RB - we need a back up RB
    Aguerd - wants away, doesn't seem suited to the PL although will be less exposed under J-Lo than Moyes. We should get a decent chunk for his replacement if he goes
    Cresswell - great servant, but nowhere near good enough anymore, but we're stuck with him I guess
    Downes - off to Southampton?
    AM - maybe Earthy earmarked for this?
    Cornet - will be interesting to see if there's still a player there after his injury; just because Moyes didn't use him doesn't mean he might not be useful, but equally he could never play at this standard again
    Ings - too slow, not suitable unless playing 2 up top which so few teams do. Antonio should be the second string CF imo.

Soooooooo much work still to be done; it won't all happen, but goodness me we need to get some players in still imo.
  • Striker wise, I would like Solanke or Toney. Not sure either are realistic but they are my picks.
  • I also noted that Lopetegui wanted Mavropanos when he was at Wolves, so possibly a CB pairing of Mavro & Kilman may not be out of the question, with doubts over Zouma & Aguerd.
  • Lukerz said:

Striker wise, I would like Solanke or Toney. Not sure either are realistic but they are my picks.

I think we have more chance of getting Toney... I read recently he wants to stay in and around London. Don't think Arsenal or Chelsea want him. Maybe if we shoot a Kilman price at Brentford it might work
  • According to various articles Lopetegui prefers a 4-3-3 with a midfield trio of a defensive midfielder, a playmaker and Carrilero ("shuttler")

I imagine Alvarez would be first choice DM, Paqueta playmaker and Ward-Prowse "shuttler". Soucek could be cover for Alvarez and Ward-Prowse (maybe) with Earthy as 2nd choice playmaker but we could definitely do with another central midfielder.
  • And on another thread OCS reminds me that we have another central midfielder, Andy Irving
  • And on another thread OCS reminds me that we have another central midfielder, Andy Irving

And Downes too atm, although links with a move to Southampton.
  • And Freddie Potts
  • According to Dharmesh Steth of Sky Sports the Downes/Walker-Peters deal has stalled over Saints valuation of Walker-Peters so now we're sniffing around Wan-Bissaka who Lopetegui tried to sign when he was at Wolves

Also Downes reported to be happy as Larry to be back at Rush Green so maybe he thinks the new boss has more time for him than Moyes
  • According to Dharmesh Steth of Sky Sports the Downes/Walker-Peters deal has stalled over Saints valuation of Walker-Peters so now we're sniffing around Wan-Bissaka who Lopetegui tried to sign when he was at Wolves

Also Downes reported to be happy as Larry to be back at Rush Green so maybe he thinks the new boss has more time for him than Moyes

Would be very happy with either Wan-Bissaka or Walker-Peters

Happy to see Downes stay but same time think if we can get an alright fee there are other areas of concern that money can be reinvested
  • alderz said:

And Freddie Potts

I know he shone in League 1, but I'd have thought a loan to a Championship side is most likely this season rather than coming straight into the first team squad. Would be fantastic if he'd good enough though, wouldn't take a squad place as he's still only 20 (21 in September), and, as has been suggested, J-Lo does like to use his subs.
  • Would be very happy with either Wan-Bissaka or Walker-Peters

Happy to see Downes stay but same time think if we can get an alright fee there are other areas of concern that money can be reinvested

I agree about Downes; I'm not sure I see him as a starter for us, but he would be for Southampton. If he's happy with more of a squad role for us, then that's his choice I guess.

Wan-Bissaka and Walker-Peters strike me as quite different players; feels odd that we'd be interested in both for the same position. Tbh though, I'm not really sure how we're going to set up and play under J-Lo, so tough to know who might be most suitable.

• alderz said:

And Freddie Potts

I know he shone in League 1, but I'd have thought a loan to a Championship side is most likely this season rather than coming straight into the first team squad. Would be fantastic if he'd good enough though, wouldn't take a squad place as he's still only 20 (21 in September), and, as has been suggested, J-Lo does like to use his subs.
    Yeah possibly. I just think he can’t be discounted at this point. He’s been in some of the promotional materials for the new kit, and in the training photos. I probably read too much into it but it does make me think they’re hoping he’ll be involved.
  • We should get KWP irrespective of whether Downes goes the other way
  • I agree about Downes; I'm not sure I see him as a starter for us, but he would be for Southampton. If he's happy with more of a squad role for us, then that's his choice I guess.

Downes must know that he'll be Alvarez's deputy at best. Which, an El Machin injury and suspension aside, would limit him to starts in the early rounds of the cups and probably not much else.

At Southampton he'd be the first name on the team sheet and would play almost every game. For his career I think that would be the best move for him, but I get (and admire) that maybe he wants to do everything he can to play for the club he supports.
  • If Downes is happy to stay and fight for a place then I think we should keep him as he will be invaluable if we get injuries. Due to his successful stint at Southampton he should retain his value if letting him go in January or next summer if it doesn't work out.
  • If Downes is happy to stay and fight for a place then I think we should keep him as he will be invaluable if we get injuries. Due to his successful stint at Southampton he should retain his value if letting him go in January or next summer if it doesn't work out.

Gut feeling is that the most we're likely to get from him will be from Southampton this summer; if they don't buy him now then they'll need to buy someone else so might not be in the market for him at all in January or next summer. Unless he has a good season with plenty of game time with us, I think his value will be lower next summer tbh.
  • Looks like a likely deal as, whilst Villa probably want to keep him, Watkins is always going to see his game time limited.
This discussion has been closed.