The Reader’s Digest: Pre Summer Transfer Speculation

Comments

• Is this an attempt to try to force Moyes out? Moyes has been insistent that he must have the final say on signings, but doesn't the appointment of a DoF effectively change the role of "manager" to one of "coach"?
  • Ravel49 said:
    A bit of a non-story, basically saying he's happy to stay but equally unwilling to burn his boats at West Ham should Torino not take up the option. By the sounds of it Torino are going to try to re-negotiate the option price (didn't we do the same with Areloa from PSG?). Difficult to see him being given much of a chance with us if Moyes is still in charge; it was Moyes after all that brought him here, barely played him the first season and sent him out on loan for the second.
  • I think the German at Southampton, Bella-Kotchap, is an interesting youngster. A big unit who could be backup for other big unit at the back who is injured pretty consistently
  • Someone might be able to get a tune out of ndidi again. Sell rice to chelsea for say £50m - 60m + gallagher. Sell soucek and get ndidi and ward-prowse. It's stretch but who knows how desperate leicester and Southampton will be to sell players lol
  • It was being said on SKY last night, by a Telegraph reporter, that Arsenal will offer £90m for Rice and pay him £300k a week.
  • Arsenal are ready to offer West Ham a club record £90m for 24-year-old England midfielder Declan Rice, while Switzerland midfielder Granit Xhaka, 30, could be among the players sold by the Gunners. (Mail)

Southampton's 28-year-old England midfielder James Ward-Prowse does not have a relegation release clause in his contract, but the club are expecting bids. Aston Villa, West Ham and Tottenham have expressed an interest. (Mail)

West Ham are monitoring Valencia's 20-year-old United States midfielder Yunus Musah. (Mail)

• We definitely dont need xhaka.
  • edited May 2023

Someone might be able to get a tune out of ndidi again. Sell rice to chelsea for say £50m - 60m + gallagher. Sell soucek and get ndidi and ward-prowse. It's stretch but who knows how desperate leicester and Southampton will be to sell players lol

If we sell Rice there is absolutely no way we are selling Soucek. We're playing 4-3-3 more often these days, we have six players who can fill the midfield three roles and with Lanzini also leaving in the summer we're going to need two replacements before we even think about letting other players leave

Downes needs a lot of work before he's ready for a place in the starting XI. He's made 33 appearances but only started 14 (1421 minutes) yet he's still managed to pick up 6 yellow cards.

More than Soucek, Aguerd, Rice and Kehrer (5) but less than Coufal and Paqueta (7), all of who have had a lot more playing time.

BTW has anyone noticed none of our players has been shown a red card this season? We might be in line for a fair play award!!!
  • Thanks Aslef. Benrahma headbutt incoming.
  • edited May 2023

Sell rice to chelsea for say £50m - 60m + gallagher.

Really? You're valuing Gallagher at somewhere between £40-50m (Rice at £100m) to £60-70m (Rice at £120m). Seems like that deal is horrendous value to me.
  • Xhaka has been excellent for Arsenal in a similar role that Rice plays for us, this season. I don't think they'd sell him anyway, even if they sign Rice.
  • I thought he'd been playing a much higher role than Rice. Not really doing the defensive stuff.
  • I thought he'd been playing a much higher role than Rice. Not really doing the defensive stuff.

Indeed, Partey has been doing more of the "donkey work" this season but Xhaka has still managed to pick up 8 yellows this season

Xhaka has a short temper, a bit of a liability, 295 games for Arsenal, 139 yellow cards, 7 double yellows and 7 straight reds
  • edited May 2023

BTW has anyone noticed none of our players has been shown a red card this season? We might be in line for a fair play award!!!

We're one of 6 clubs yet to receive a red card so far this season (along with Arsenal, Soton, Forest, Bournemouth and Brighton), and we've received the fewest yellow cards of anyone so far this season, with only 42 so far.

• #welcomePJ

• If we sign Phil Jones, I'm going to kidnap him and drop him off back at Old Trafford.
  • Can play DM
    Nailed on Rice replacement
  • edited May 2023
    Ravel49 said:

Can play DM
    Nailed on Rice replacement

The sarcasm is strong in you, young Skywalker

Supposedly on £110k pw, I don't see him getting that. Hasn't played for a year, got 15 minutes v Brentford 2 May 2022
  • edited May 2023
    Just thinking.
    Is Paqueta likely to stay next season?
    Although he hasn't quite lived up to expectations, he is a talent. An offer may come in for him that may turn his head.

Rice likely to go, Fornals and Lanzini also it seems unlikely to stay.

We could be so short in midfield.
  • Sell rice to chelsea for say £50m - 60m + gallagher.

Really? You're valuing Gallagher at somewhere between £40-50m (Rice at £100m) to £60-70m (Rice at £120m). Seems like that deal is horrendous value to me.
    I would personally value gallagher at £30m - £40m.. but also think our board will settle for £90m - £100m for rice. Other clubs also know we will be desperate for another CM any player will be over priced for us.
    We are desperate for another CM even if Rice stays. Soucek and Downes arent good enough.
    I dont see gallagher as the replacement for Rice but hed still come in and start over Soucek or Downes.
  • I don't think Rice is going to Chelsea anyway. Part of going there was playing with Mount, I think, but it looks unlikely Mount has a long-term future there now unless Pochettino decides he really likes him.

It's not a great place for development either. They cycle through players so often but more importantly cycle through managers, many of whom come in wanting to put a stamp on things by changing up who they play and how. Arsenal, Man U, Liverpool and even City would all be better for him.
  • Just thinking.
    Is Paqueta likely to stay next season?
    Although he hasn't quite lived up to expectations, he is a talent. An offer may come in for him that may turn his head.

Rice likely to go, Fornals and Lanzini also it seems unlikely to stay.

We could be so short in midfield.

I don see why Paqueta would leave, he seems to have settled in and I've not seen any rumours of transfer interest. I've not heard any mention of Fornals either so I can see him staying at least another season

The way they go through managers Rice would be mad to join Chelsea at this time and if Mason Mount goes then there's even less reason for him to join
  • Fornals just hasn't had any minutes despite (IMO) being one of our best players. Why would he want to stay.

Paqueta is good enough for most teams in Europe, and is CM for Brazil. He will want to play at the highest level he can.
  • Also, Fornals has only one year left on his contract, so I can see the club trying to get something for him now rather than letting him walk for nothing next summer.
  • There’s no way the club let Rice, Soucek and Paqueta leave this summer.
  • alderz said:

Xhaka has been excellent for Arsenal in a similar role that Rice plays for us, this season. I don't think they'd sell him anyway, even if they sign Rice.

Xhaka close to signing a 4-year deal with Bayer Leverkusen for £13m according to the Guardian

He spent 4 years at Borussia Monchengladbach before he joined Arsenal so he knows the Bundesliga
  • Undoubtedly there's going to be a lot of work to be done this summer, and key to it could be trying to fill the void that Rice's departure would leave. We all know that one player won't do that, so should the idea be to look for 2 players that, when combined, would give us what Rice and Soucek were giving us two seasons ago? That would potentially leave Soucek as a third choice CM (I'm classing Paqueta as an ACM for this, and working on the "2" in a 4-2-3-1), where, certainly under Moyes, he'll be a more likely rotation option than Downes is at present.

Is there a free site that produces those wheel type analytics showing strengths and weaknesses? There are a lot of names bandied about on KUMB that I really don't know too much about so thought it would be interesting to see how well a new CM pairing might cover all bases.
This discussion has been closed.