The Reader’s Digest: Pre Summer Transfer Speculation

Comments

• One player I pray we don't sign because I hate him with a passion is Luke Ayling
  • Hamstew said:

One player I pray we don't sign because I hate him with a passion is Luke Ayling

Must admit, when I was watching our game on Sunday I realised I really don't like him, but I'm not sure why.
  • My only thing with Barnes is it feels like he has really patchy form. He’ll be one of the best in the league for a while then go completely quiet and fans of other clubs often only remember the good parts. But I think the directness of his play could be useful for us to get back to fast breaking attacks. If Benrahma were to leave, for example, he’d be a good option.
  • Hamstew said:

One player I pray we don't sign because I hate him with a passion is Luke Ayling

I quite like him.
  • My only thing with Barnes is it feels like he has really patchy form. He’ll be one of the best in the league for a while then go completely quiet and fans of other clubs often only remember the good parts. But I think the directness of his play could be useful for us to get back to fast breaking attacks. If Benrahma were to leave, for example, he’d be a good option.

If Barnes and Benrahma alternate being good then we’re sorted!
  • alderz said:

My only thing with Barnes is it feels like he has really patchy form. He’ll be one of the best in the league for a while then go completely quiet and fans of other clubs often only remember the good parts. But I think the directness of his play could be useful for us to get back to fast breaking attacks. If Benrahma were to leave, for example, he’d be a good option.

If Barnes and Benrahma alternate being good then we’re sorted!
    Unfortunately- you just know how that will work out 🤔
  • IMO we'd be lucky to snag Barnes as I reckon plenty of clubs will want him. 11 goals in a relegation threatened team is good and I think he'll get better. He is a bit like Bowen in that he can come into the box when the forward hangs back to hold up (Scamacca and Antonio). He and Bowen on either wing would be great.

At his age, I'd only be cool with Maguire if we got him for 10M or less. He has got a lot of experience and I think away from Utd he would be better. Zouma is periodically injured and Maguire/Aguerd would be out CB pairing most of the time. I'd be happy if we missed out on him.

I think JWP will go elsewhere as plenty will desire his deadball prowess. James Ward Prowess in fact ;)

Hudson Odio hs a lot of potential and if the deal was reasonable I wouldnt be unhappy to have him. Think its not going to happen though.

We should be interested in Livramento, KWP and Bella Kotchop at Soton.

Ndidi is a player worth trying for if Leicester go down. Maybe their LB Thomas? Justin also although he seems injury prone (but that, like Livramento may mean we get him more cheaply)

Ayling has a face and hair style I wanna slap. I think Gnonto is the only Leeds player I'd like to snatch. Maybe Summerville

Everton... Nah!

• Going around that Everton might sell onana for 60 mil after paying about 30 mil for him ,i know we were interested in him last summer but really 60 mil ,Dont think he has set the world alight this season .
  • I think the result of the Conference Final will make a difference to the summer window as it will decide if we have another Europa campaign, which will put pressure on the squad as a whole.
  • Baz 👍🏻

Agree with much of that, but I do think that Ndidi has been absolutely trash this season. I would steer clear
  • Barnes, Bowen and Benrahma - commentator's nightmare. =)

• West Ham are also interested in Barnes, as well as Leeds United's English winger Jack Harrison, 26. (Sun)

The Hammers are likely to keep David Moyes as their manager and intend to back him by also targeting Fulham's Portugal midfielder Joao Palhinha, 27, as a potential replacement for England midfielder Declan Rice, 24. (Guardian)
  • Does anyone else not get the hype about Jack Harrison?
  • Does anyone else not get the hype about Jack Harrison?

He scored a hattrick against us last season. He must be brilliant. Rubbish in most matches,but it all depends on how the manager wants to play. Kulusevski (?) looks pretty ordinary, but his team pkay 100% better when he's in it, for example.
  • Just a shame that Antonio opted for Jamaica innit?
  • Phil Jones must be odds on to come to us 😂
  • I get that Ndidi wasnt as good as previously but that sort of thing doesnt really put me off. He could easily improve with a change of scenery.

I think Kulusevski's inclusion in the Spus side makes them better because he is so direct. He constantly takes people on and break fast. There was a period when he was assisting as a norm and he definitely keeps defenders on their toes. However, as he plays for Spurs, hopefully a steady decline is in order.

• Thoughts on signing harry kane? Would he fit in?
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65721917

Karen Brady is being blamed for her leaving!
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65721917

Karen Brady is being blamed for her leaving!

But not in the actual article.

The those blaming anyone able to offer any actual facts. Or is it just toxic social media nonsense.
  • edited May 2023
    Do you think the BBC would report that? They aren't allowed to have an opinion or appear not to be. It's like when a manager asks a reporter do you think it was a penalty & they don't answer when it has been proved it was definitely one!
  • West Ham and England midfielder Declan Rice would prefer to join Arsenal this summer, with Manchester United, Chelsea and Bayern Munich also interested in the 24-year-old. (Mirror)

West Ham want Arsenal's Portuguese full-back Nuno Tavares, 23, who is currently on loan at Marseille. (Record - in Portuguese)

Hammers manager David Moyes says he will look at British and homegrown players this summer with the club linked with Southampton and England midfielder James Ward-Prowse, 28, and Leicester and England winger Harvey Barnes. (Standard)

• I really don't understand why we would be interested in Harvey Barnes, we've already got Benrahma, Cornet and Fornals as options on the left, do we really need a fourth?
  • I do not rate Tavares as a defender at all. He strikes me as basically a younger Emerson.

I do like the idea of bringing in British players, tbh. I know it doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things, but there’s something a bit more relatable about a team that has plenty of British players for me.
  • I really don't understand why we would be interested in Harvey Barnes, we've already got Benrahma, Cornet and Fornals as options on the left, do we really need a fourth?

Realistically, Cornet and Fornals contributed very little over the season. Maybe Moyes wants an upgrade. Maybe he sees Cornet as another CF option or on the RW. Maybe he see Fornals or Benrahma as an alternative to Paqueta next season.
  • alderz said:

I really don't understand why we would be interested in Harvey Barnes, we've already got Benrahma, Cornet and Fornals as options on the left, do we really need a fourth?

Realistically, Cornet and Fornals contributed very little over the season. Maybe Moyes wants an upgrade. Maybe he sees Cornet as another CF option or on the RW. Maybe he see Fornals or Benrahma as an alternative to Paqueta next season.
    Moyes said recently that he sees Cornet's best used alongside another striker. I commented at the time that it was a weird thing to say given how seldomly he plays two up front.

He has the attributes to be more of an Antonioesque striker than Scamacca or Ings do, so maybe he'll be used up front next season. I'd be delighted to have Barnes and Benrahma as LW options with Fornals being used more centrally.
  • edited May 2023
    Fabianski
    RB - Zouma - Aguerd - Emerson
    CM - CM - Paqueta
    Bowen - ST - LW

I think, if we’re all being honest, we’re going to need upgrades in those positions above. That’s where the Rice money needs to go, on 5 positions. The likes of Kehrer, Coufal, Cresswell, Soucek, Benrahma, Cornet will make good squad options. We can’t expect Antonio to go another 38 games. I’m not convicted with Emerson as a LB in a back four, but maybe he needs more time to prove that. The bulk of the budget needs to go on two really good CMs to replace Rice & who can line-up with Paqueta. We’ve been linked with Palhinha as a possible CM. Barnes would be a good option on the left. I also really like Groß at Brighton.
  • I also like Gross, but there's no way he's leaving Brighton for West Ham, imo.

Ward-Prowse - Palinha - Paqueta would be an exciting midfield three.
  • It would be but it’s a very different dynamic to what we’ve had with Soucek & Rice.
  • alderz said:

Cornet never really got started, he made 20 appearances with only two starts in the Premier League and four in Europe but when he did play it was mostly on the left. Hopefully he manages to avoid injury and we can get a better idea of what he's capable of
This discussion has been closed.