The Reader’s Digest: Pre Summer Transfer Speculation

Comments

• If he does go this summer, has anybody got any sort of idea who we could sign who has some of the qualities of Rice?
  • Lukerz said:

If he does go this summer, has anybody got any sort of idea who we could sign who has some of the qualities of Rice?

I think we're all hoping that Rob Newman does.

Rice has been rejecting contracts for a while now and every man and his dog have known for years that he's a flight risk. I'd like to think that our scouting and recruitment department have been working for a long time to identify potential replacements, and maybe even had initial conversations with clubs and agents around player availability.

I don't think there are any excuses for selling Rice and not having someone suitable lined up to replace him.
  • But you won't get a Rice replacement, well not for less than £100m.
  • We'll struggle to find someone as good as him, sure, but maybe we need to be scouting for a couple of players. If we can get someone nearly as good as him and then a significant upgrade on Soucek, we won't lose too much in the midfield.
  • Villa used the Grealish money to find 3 players & they thought the three, between them, offered the attributes that Grealish offered on his own. Hasn’t gone too well as the players were Ings, Buendia & Bailey.
  • You're not going to find a Rice replacement, you are looking for someone to play alongside Soucek. That perhaps Soucek can get back to his form of 2 seasons ago attacking the back post, so maybe a pure DM.
  • edited May 2023
    I feel like we’ll go for Ward-Prowse, who is not as dynamic as Declan.

It seems Arsenal are the club who are favourites. I would much rather City or abroad but I assume he wants to stay in London.
  • Who would we allow to leave in the summer?

Johnson
    Soucek
    Lanzini
    Scamacca

Could be possible outgoings. I’m pretty certain Scamacca won’t be here next year.
  • David Moyes has said, no I can’t find the source, but I know I read it somewhere that he feels we need two players to replace Rice. There are “stories” that we are looking at Fofana from Lens or Sangare at PSV. Might help us to get the latter IF Arnie Slot comes in as manager.
  • Not sure... I've seen similar reports ( 2 players) and it looked more to me as if it was 'has identified 2 options who could replace ' sort of thing, rather than ' need two'
  • Lukerz said:

Who would we allow to leave in the summer?

Johnson
    Soucek
    Lanzini
    Scamacca

Could be possible outgoings. I’m pretty certain Scamacca won’t be here next year.

Fornals is the one in addition to your list that might be released imo. I'm more than happy for him to stay, but I'm not sure he will if Moyes does.

His contract is up next (2024) summer, yet there's been no mention of a contract extension. With how little he's featured as a starter in the PL this season, you can see a lowball offer of wages coming from the club, so if he's not signing he has another season of playing very little (potentially less than this season as he only ever seems to play wide left, and Cornet will also be an option there fitness permiting) while he runs down his contract, or he reluctantly agrees to a move. Last season he started 32 games in the PL, this season it's only 14 so far.

My gut feeling is he is a long way away from reaching an agreement with the club and is on the way out, and this is the reason behind his outburts of emotion at a couple of recent games. If he still had 2 or 3 years on his contract, I could see him staying, but, given this is the last chance the club has to get any decent money for him, I can see him going.

If a new manager comes in then things could be different, but something tells he he's leaving this summer.
  • re: Scamacca, I heard on BT earlier that apparently he didn’t go to our conference league game on Thursday as he was watching Roma in the Europa League, which sort of bodes not brilliantly for his future with us.
  • I think Rice will go to Utd.
    But if McTominay is part of the deal, I will be livid. Really livid.
  • alderz said:

re: Scamacca, I heard on BT earlier that apparently he didn’t go to our conference league game on Thursday as he was watching Roma in the Europa League, which sort of bodes not brilliantly for his future with us.

Yeah, a lot of noise on social media about that. He was in Italy, apparently, recovering from surgery and is a Roma fan. I guess he could have stayed in and watched us on a laptop, but I don't know that he's done much wrong.

That said, I think there's a good chance he'll be gone in the summer, particularly if Moyes stays.
  • If he doesn't want to stay, then fine he goes.
  • I think the guy should get a bit of a break ,who really knows what's going on .it can be very stressful watching West ham as a fan ,So must be far worse as a player who is injured and can't help the team
  • Scamacca owes us.
  • Scamacca can’t repay us if he isn’t picked can he? 🤷‍♂️
  • Scamacca can’t repay us if he isn’t picked can he? 🤷‍♂️

He’s injured, isn’t he. Another sick note.
  • I think Rice will go to Utd.

Cant see McTominay wanting to move to us so youre safe IMO
  • Bazshuayi said:

I think Rice will go to Utd.

Cant see McTominay wanting to move to us so youre safe IMO
    I can't see him wanting to, but his options might be limited if Rice does go to Man Utd. Like Exeter though, I really don't want him here, he'd never get away with the fouls he does at Man Utd, and gives the "entitled" impression of many there, especially those that came up through the ranks there. I think he'd definitely view us as a huge step down, and he's just not that good imo.
  • Just noticed that Tielemans will be available on a free in the summer, probably end up at Newcastle, Liverpool or wherever

I expect a few clubs will try to tempt James Ward-Prowse to leave Saints even though he's been there since he was 8 and has a contract until 2025.

Mohammed Salisu is another Saints player that might get some offers, contract until 2024 and has looked promising.

Other than those two I don't see a lot of offers coming in for the rest of the squad
  • I’d love us to sign Ward-Prowse.

The other one at Southampton who’ll get offers is Lavia. He’s looked really good for a very young DM.
  • This is why European qualification is so important to us. If we want a Ward-Prowse or a Lavia, then I think we need to be offering European football. Without it, I can't see that we'd be much more attractive than Brighton, Brentford or Villa.

Newcastle's rise has pushed us further down the table in terms of attracting players, and whoever finishes 6th/7th could leapfrog us if we don't get Europa League next season.
  • alderz said:

I’d love us to sign Ward-Prowse.

The other one at Southampton who’ll get offers is Lavia. He’s looked really good for a very young DM.

I'm OK with us signing JWP if it's for a reasonable price; last summer some ridiculous prices of £50-60m were being quoted, and for someone of his age (he'll be 29 on 1st November) that's way too much imo. Wouldn't be surprised if he stays, but sometimes it's in the club's best interests if they can offload some players and if he's available at an absolute maximum of £30m then I wouldn't be too disappointed.

It has been posted on KUMB that a lot of Soton supporters feel he's had a bad season, though Lavia was largely immune from such criticism. However, he'll attract a lot of attention I think, and matters are potentially further complicated by the buy-back clause from City; those things really should be abolished imo.
  • Flynn Downes but he can take a free kick.
  • Saints rejected two offers of £25m from Villa for Ward-Prowse in summer 2021 and summer 2022 but since January he's been repeatedly linked with Newcastle (who hasn't?)
  • Daily Mail

Union Berlin are braced for summer offers for their star forward Sheraldo Becker amid interest from Premier League clubs including West Ham, Fulham and Burnley.
  • Ravel49 said:

Daily Mail

Union Berlin are braced for summer offers for their star forward Sheraldo Becker amid interest from Premier League clubs including West Ham, Fulham and Burnley.

There's a German poster on KUMB that mentioned this guy recently (yesterday maybe), suggested he'd be a good, pacy, signing. Not particualry young (28) but should be available at a reasonable price.
  • From Jacob Steinberg in The Guardian

West Ham to appoint director of football in attempt to fix transfer shortcomings

"Potential candidates have been identified and include the former Liverpool sporting director Michael Edwards, Monaco’s Paul Mitchell, Brentford’s Lee Dykes and Atalanta’s Lee Congerton"

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/may/15/west-ham-to-appoint-director-of-football-in-attempt-to-fix-transfer-shortcomings

Edwards was Liverpool Sporting Director 2016-22, brought Virgil van Dijk, Alison, Mohammed Salah and Fabinho to Anfield

Mitchell has worked at Southampton, Tottenham and RB Leipzig, is leaving Monaco a year early

Dykes joined Brentford in 2019 having been at six lower league clubs

Congerton has held various jobs at Chelsea, Hamburger SV, Sunderland, Celtic, Leicester City and Atalanta
This discussion has been closed.