The Reader’s Digest: Pre Summer Transfer Speculation

Comments

• IronHerb said:

Why didn't Chelsea appoint Emma Hayes as interim manager?

Emma Hayes has said before that she wouldn't leave her job for something unless it was an equally attractive offer. I don't think being the interim for this Chelsea men's side is appealing at all. If they offered it to her for the long term then she might well take it, but I can't see her going for it on a short term deal.
  • edited May 2023
    Funny thing about Rice’s “development” is I think it actually probably comes from being told to stick to what he does best defensively and not this dream of being Yaya Toure. Maybe I’m wrong and Pep can turn him into that but I’m not sure that’s what anyone is looking at him for. He’s so good defensively but I think we have tried to please him with more freedom and it hasn’t really done us much good. I love Rice and though he’s got the ability to be an attacking threat he hasn’t got the instinct for it and I think he slows down our play most of the time when he gets into the opposition third. He’s best deep from where he can drive forward on the counter and I think that’s where most managers will want him when he makes the step up.
  • I would be amazed in went anywhere else than Arsenal, as for Philips, I get he is not Rice but he is not getting game time and I would totally explore if he was interested in joining us
  • I see Messi will be free at the end of the season.
    #justsaying
  • I'm surprised that PSG or Real Madrid are not talked about more for Rice. Real Madrid if they were interested would be a nice move for a few years.
  • I'm surprised that PSG or Real Madrid are not talked about more for Rice. Real Madrid if they were interested would be a nice move for a few years.

Bellingham being linked to Real Madrid atm.

Personally I can't see Rice going abroad; unless City come in for him I'd be surprised if he goes outside London tbh.

Personally I can't see Rice going abroad; unless City come in for him I'd be surprised if he goes outside London tbh.
    So you're basically saying Arsenal. 😄
  • I think it'll either be Arsenal or Man Utd.

I guess I'd rather he went to Arsenal out of those two, but it's not a nice thought either way.
  • West Ham are concerned about losing Czech Republic midfielder Tomas Soucek, 28, this summer, as well as their captain and England midfielder Declan Rice, 24. (Football Insider)
  • West Ham Football (Sean Whetstone) is claiming that Rob Newman could be out of a job due to "poor returns on recruitment of players over the last year and a half" and that Moyes "could also find his transfer identification role diminished if he stays after the summer for his final year".

Couple of significant 'could's' in there, but given that our transfer strategy has been a mess for years, I don't know that Newman should necessarily carry the can for the perceived failings. It's never really been clear to me what role he, Moyes and Sullivan's agents have in our dealings, but it's been reported that Sullivan and Brady both have history of alienating other clubs and Moyes has a reputation of being a ditherer/diligent details man (delete as appropriate).

Collective responsibility, I say. So they should all go =)
  • West Ham will demand £100m for England midfielder Declan Rice, 24, this summer. (ESPN)
  • Ravel49 said:

West Ham will demand £100m for England midfielder Declan Rice, 24, this summer. (ESPN)

Editor to journo:”We need something for click bait, what you got for me?”
    Journo: “I’ve dropped in how much West Ham will want for Rice.”
    Ed: You’re fired.

• edited May 2023
    "West Ham want to sign Manchester City and England's 27-year-old midfielder Kalvin Phillips and right-back Kyle Walker, 32. (90min)"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/65511685

That's a big no and an even bigger no from me.

I think I read Phillips has played barely 400 minutes (ie less than 5 matches) all season. He's spent most of his career in the championship, he's 27 so it's not as though we're expecting him to get better, and I personally don't particularly rate him. If he was £20m, maybe, but I'm guessing he'll be £40-50m and, even without injury issues (he only played 23 times in his last season with Leeds, even before his lack of minutes this season), I just don't think he's worth that sort of money.

Kyle Walker would be yet another "cheap" FB option given he's only got a year left on his contract, but he'll be 33 before the season ends, and I can't see his pace, which is his main asset after all, holding up for too much longer. This would be the exact opposite to the sort of signing we should be considering, a huge no from me.
  • For me Phillips is the exact opposite to Rice. By that I mean Rice is always available and virtually never misses a match, where Phillips is lt seems is always injured.
  • Kyle Walker would probably be the best player in our squad imo
  • edited May 2023
    I think Phillips is a good player but injured way too much, as Preston says.

Walker would be great but bet there’ll be a lot of competition for him.
  • I rate Philips and would welcome him if the price was right, and by that I mean less than 30m
  • In truth, I get this is speculation but I do not think that we should be linked with players or consider options until it is determined who is likely to be in charge
  • I think it would be daft for the current administration to target a 30-50m + player only for a new face to be appointed who will probably have a completely different mindset, ideas and contacts
  • It's never mattered in the past. 😱
  • Tuesdays Tittle

It is Tuesday isn’t it 🤷‍♀️

West Ham are resigned to losing 24-year-old England midfielder Declan Rice this summer if they receive an appropriate offer. (Mail)

West Ham are not interested in a player being used as part of any offer for Rice and want their £100m valuation met. (Football Insider)

Marseille's France midfielder Matteo Guendouzi, 24, is an option for West Ham as a potential replacement for Rice. (Athletic - subscription)

Aston Villa, Leeds United and West Ham have been linked with Lyon's 26-year-old French forward Moussa Dembele. (Birmingham Mail)

Crystal Palace, Fulham and West Ham are among the European clubs interested in 28-year-old Bournemouth and Colombia midfielder Jefferson Lerma, who is out of contract this summer. (Teamtalk)
  • Ravel49 said:

Aston Villa, Leeds United and West Ham have been linked with Lyon's 26-year-old French forward Moussa Dembele. (Birmingham Mail)

19 goals in 64 appearances for Fulham 2013-16, mostly in the Championship

51 goals in 94 appearances for Celtic 2016-18, 70 goals in 174 for Lyon 2018-present

Played us three times, once for Fulham, twice for Lyon but has never scored against us and never been on the winning side which I think immediately disqualifies him
  • Also he got Cresswell sent off and then winked
  • edited May 2023
    Cresswell got Cresswell sent off.

But Dembele did wink, yes.
  • No innocent party winks!
  • West Ham are interested in Coventry City's 24-year-old Sweden forward Viktor Gyokeres. (Mirror)
  • Ravel49 said:

West Ham are interested in Coventry City's 24-year-old Sweden forward Viktor Gyokeres. (Mirror)

Along with just about everyone else. 😂
  • Manchester United are ready to step up their interest in West Ham's 24-year-old England midfielder Declan Rice, but Arsenal remain favourites to sign him. (Guardian)

Marseille and France midfielder Matteo Guendouzi, 24, could replace Rice at West Ham.(Mirror)
This discussion has been closed.